Calculate Weight of Block & Meter Stick | Torque Problem Solution

In summary: It looks like you can ignore the weight of the block initially, and just solve for the torque on the support A.T=15N*(0-cm)In summary, the block has a weight of 15 Newtons and the meter stick is just about to tip over with a force of 15 Newtons, when the block is at the x = 0-cm mark.
ZurasE

Homework Statement

A meter stick (thus, the length of the stick is exactly 1 meter!) is supported by two supports. Support A is located at the 20-cm mark, and support B is at the 68-cm mark. You can assume that the mass of the meter stick is uniformly distributed along the length of the stick. There is also a block on the meter stick, located at some distance x from the left end of the stick (the left end corresponds to the 0-cm mark).

For this problem, the block starts off at the x = 0-cm mark. In other words, the block starts at the left end of the meter stick. With the block in that position, the meter stick is just about to tip over. Support A exerts an upward 15 N force on the meter stick, and support B exerts no force on the meter stick.

Determine the weight (not the mass, the weight) of the block, in Newtons.
Determine the weight (not the mass, the weight) of the meter stick, in Newtons.
What is the value (in cm) of the largest x that the block can have so that the meter stick is just about to tip over? Hint: think about what the two supports forces must be in that situation

Homework Equations

T=Force times distance from center of mass
F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

So I know I need to find the pivot point, so as to know the distance. Once I have that, I am really not sure what to do. I am just really lost on this question.

Physics news on Phys.org
ZurasE said:

Homework Statement

A meter stick (thus, the length of the stick is exactly 1 meter!) is supported by two supports. Support A is located at the 20-cm mark, and support B is at the 68-cm mark. You can assume that the mass of the meter stick is uniformly distributed along the length of the stick. There is also a block on the meter stick, located at some distance x from the left end of the stick (the left end corresponds to the 0-cm mark).

For this problem, the block starts off at the x = 0-cm mark. In other words, the block starts at the left end of the meter stick. With the block in that position, the meter stick is just about to tip over. Support A exerts an upward 15 N force on the meter stick, and support B exerts no force on the meter stick.

Determine the weight (not the mass, the weight) of the block, in Newtons.
Determine the weight (not the mass, the weight) of the meter stick, in Newtons.
What is the value (in cm) of the largest x that the block can have so that the meter stick is just about to tip over? Hint: think about what the two supports forces must be in that situation

Homework Equations

T=Force times distance from center of mass
F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

So I know I need to find the pivot point, so as to know the distance. Once I have that, I am really not sure what to do. I am just really lost on this question.
First, I would draw a simple sketch of this meter stick, showing the supports and the movable block.

For the first part of the question:
ZurasE said:

Hint: By carefully picking the point about which you write your torque equation (not necessarily one of the supports), you won't need to know the weight of the block, initially.

Write some torque equations and see what drops out.

1. What is torque?

Torque is a measure of the twisting force applied to an object, causing it to rotate around an axis. It is often represented as the symbol "τ" and is measured in units of newton-meters (Nm) in the International System of Units (SI).

2. How is torque related to force and distance?

Torque is directly proportional to both the amount of force applied and the distance from the axis of rotation at which the force is applied. This means that increasing either the force or the distance will result in an increase in torque.

3. What is the formula for calculating torque?

The formula for calculating torque is τ = rFsinθ, where τ is torque, r is the distance from the axis of rotation, F is the force applied, and θ is the angle between the force vector and the lever arm (the distance from the axis to the point where the force is applied).

4. How is torque different from force?

While both torque and force are measures of a physical interaction, torque specifically refers to the twisting force that causes an object to rotate, while force can refer to any type of push or pull on an object.

5. What are some real-life examples of torque?

Some examples of torque in everyday life include opening a door, using a wrench to tighten a bolt, or riding a bike and using the pedals to propel the wheels forward. In each of these cases, a force is applied at a distance from the axis of rotation, resulting in torque.