Calculating Acceleration in an Inclined Force Problem with Pulley Setup

In summary, the conversation is about a homework problem involving an inclined plane with two masses, M1 and M2. The problem asks for the acceleration of the system with specific values for the masses and the coefficient of friction. The teacher provided a solution using the equations T−mg=ma and T−Ff=ma, but the student was unable to get the same answer and sought help online. The student's specific work involved setting the tensions equal to each other, but did not consider all the forces acting on M1. The correct answer is 0.02m/s2.
jinjin11
I am having trouble on one of my homework problems. The problem is

What is the acceleration of the system if M1 is 5 kg and M2 is 4kg and the coefficient of friction between M1 and the table is 0.20? There is an image along with the problem. Basically it is just like a standard inclined plane problem where M1 is the box on the ramp and M2 is the weight being pulled down. The angle of incline is 40degrees.

The teacher stated that the answer was 0.02m/s2, but that we would have to show all work to receive credit. I have worked it out several times, but have not been able to get that answer. He taught is to do this by plugging values into the equations T−mg=ma and T−Ff=ma, setting the tensions equal to each other, and finding the acceleration. I did this, but got something along the lines of 3.5m/s2. I looked up alternative methods online, but they didn't seem to use the second equation, and I was a little confused. If someone would teach me the steps to solve this problem, I would very much appreciate it.

The specific work I did was the following:
T = mg + ma
T = 4(9.8)+4(-a)
T = friction + ma
T = 0.2(38) + 5a
Set equations equal to each other.
39.2 - 4a = 7.6 + 5a
a = 3.5m/s squared.

Physics news on Phys.org
You've not considered all the forces acting down the slope on m1.

1. What is inclined force with pulley?

Inclined force with pulley is a type of mechanical system where a pulley is used to change the direction of a force applied to an object. The force is applied at an angle, or incline, and the pulley redirects it to a different direction.

2. How does an inclined force with pulley work?

The inclined force with pulley system works by using the principle of mechanical advantage. The pulley reduces the amount of force needed to move an object by distributing the weight of the object evenly between multiple ropes or chains. This allows for easier and more efficient movement of heavy objects.

3. What are the components of an inclined force with pulley system?

The main components of an inclined force with pulley system include a pulley, a rope or chain, and an object that needs to be moved. The pulley is usually mounted on a fixed object, while the rope or chain is attached to the object being moved and threaded through the pulley.

4. What is the purpose of using an inclined force with pulley?

The purpose of using an inclined force with pulley is to make it easier to move heavy objects by reducing the amount of force needed. It also allows for the direction of the force to be changed, which can be useful in certain situations where the object needs to be moved in a specific direction.

5. What are some examples of inclined force with pulley in real life?

Inclined force with pulley is commonly used in construction and engineering, such as lifting heavy materials to higher floors of a building. It is also used in transportation systems, such as elevators and ski lifts. Other examples include rock climbing, sailing, and weightlifting machines.