Calculating Average Rate of Change for Related Rates Seesaw Problem

In summary, the child on the seesaw will move the average distance of 2.5 meters over the 9 meters of the seesaw.
stokes

Homework Statement

A child weighs 34 Kg is seated on a seesaw. While a child who weighs 40 kg is situated on tghe opposite end of the seesaw. The functio B(x)= 34x / 40 gives the distance that the 40 kg child must sit from the center of the seesaw when the 34 kg child sits x meters from the center. The seesaw is 9m long find the average rate of change in distance as the lighter childs distance changes from 1.5m to 2.5meters.

Homework Equations

I used the quotient rule to find the derivative of the function. Which turns out to be 68 / 80.

The Attempt at a Solution

I used the quotient rule to fine the instanenous rate of change which turns out to be B'(x)=
68/80.

I don't know how to takle the average rate of change.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
did you have a question?

The seesaw is 9m long find the average rate of change in distance as the lighter childs distance changes from 1.5m to 2.5meters.

Let's see some work, and this should be posted in the Calculus & Beyond subforum.

"The seesaw is 9m long find the average rate of change in distance as the lighter childs distance changes from 1.5m to 2.5meters."

that's not a question.

I used the quotient rule to fine the instanenous rate of change which turns out to be B'(x)=
68/80.

I don't know how to takle the average rate of change.

olgranpappy said:
"The seesaw is 9m long find the average rate of change in distance as the lighter childs distance changes from 1.5m to 2.5meters."

that's not a question.

Sorry...

... that's okay, I guess. Two things:

1. 68/80 = 34/40 (you took a derivative of B with respect to x, not time...)

2. if you want to find an average rate, I think you might have to have a time somewhere in your problem. Was one given?

No it did not... It says find the average rate of change in distance.

ah, okay. then I guess you have your answer.

Since it is over the interval of 1.5 and 2.5. Couldnt I find B(1.5) and B(2.5) and then find the average?

olgranpappy said:
ah, okay. then I guess you have your answer.

I still did not get the answer... I am stuck...

You're looking for the avg., not the instantaneous rate.

[tex]Rate_{avg}=B(x)=\frac{B(x_2)-B(x_1)}{x_2 -x_1}[/tex]

Last edited:
The thing is the derivative is 34/40. Which equals to 0.85.

The prof gave us the answer which is -1.275. I haven't come close to that.

I've tried that formula before too...

I used...

f(x) = f(b) - f(a) / b-a

Please Help.

I"m sorry, stokes. Your statement of the problem just doesn't make sense. I don't think anyone will be able to help you with this. Are you sure you are writing down all of the information in the problem exactly as given?

I am really sure I am writing everything down correctly.

stokes said:
I am really sure I am writing everything down correctly.

So the statement of the problem in your text, or on your homework begins just as you wrote it:

"A child weighs 34 Kg is seated on a seesaw. While a child who weighs 40 kg is situated on tghe opposite end of the seesaw. The functio B(x)= 34x / 40 gives the..."

Your text used the word "tghe"?

Your text used the word "functio"?

The first sentence seems to be missing words (perhaps an "and" in between "34 Kg" and "is")

Etc Etc Etc.

If you can't even take the time to write down the correct statement of the problem, then you should not expect to get much help here.

A child weighs 34 Kg is seated on a seesaw. While a child who weighs 40 kg is situated on the opposite end of the seesaw. The function B(x)= 34x / 40 gives the distance that the 40 kg child must sit from the center of the seesaw when the 34 kg child sits x meters from the center. The seesaw is 9m long find the average rate of change in distance as the lighter childs distance changes from 1.5m to 2.5meters.

Im sorry I just reread my mistake.

olgranpappy said:
Your text used the word "tghe"?

Your text used the word "functio"?
Who cares, grow up.

Sorry no one is unable to help you at the moment stokes, just be patient and I'm sure someone may be able to.

Thanks.

rocophysics said:
Who cares, grow up.

I care. There is no problem to be solved and no question to be answered. He hasn't given us the problem. He didn't take the time to write the damn thing down correctly and he can't expect anyone to be able to guess the missing pieces.

This is sounds like a very basic physics question and the solution should be trivial, but there is no solution because he hasn't stated the problem.

Sorry no one is unable to help you at the moment stokes, just be patient and I'm sure someone may be able to.

I think not.

I think I've stated it more then enough:

Find the average rate of change in distance as the lighter childs distance changes from 1.5m to 2.5meters.

stokes said:
I think I've stated it more then enough:

Find the average rate of change in distance as the lighter childs distance changes from 1.5m to 2.5meters.
I think so too, and it's pretty immature for someone to attack your misspellings. Hope this doesn't stop you from coming here to ask for help :-]

I've had this exact same question before...

You have to make the average rate of change chart...

Interval delta f(x) delta x delta f(x)/delta x
1.5m-2.5m 1.275-2.125= -.85 1 -.85

Hope that helps!

oh and I think your Prof gave you the wrong answer because ours gave us -.85 as the answer??

Rhae said:
oh and I think your Prof gave you the wrong answer because ours gave us -.85 as the answer??
Ah, that's the answer I initially got :-]

Related to Calculating Average Rate of Change for Related Rates Seesaw Problem

1. What is the formula for calculating average rate of change?

The formula for calculating average rate of change is (y2-y1)/(x2-x1), where y2 and y1 are the final and initial values of the dependent variable, and x2 and x1 are the final and initial values of the independent variable.

2. How do you apply the concept of related rates to a seesaw problem?

In a seesaw problem, the two quantities (such as the heights of two people or the weights on each side of the seesaw) are related in a way that one depends on the other. This allows us to use the formula for average rate of change to calculate the rate at which one quantity changes as the other changes.

3. Can you give an example of a related rates seesaw problem?

One example of a related rates seesaw problem is a seesaw with two people of different weights sitting on each end. As one person moves up or down, the other person's position on the seesaw changes, and we can use the average rate of change formula to calculate the rate at which the seesaw is tilting.

4. How do you interpret the average rate of change in a related rates seesaw problem?

The average rate of change in a related rates seesaw problem represents the rate at which one quantity is changing with respect to the other quantity. In the example of the seesaw, it tells us how fast one person's position is changing as the other person moves.

5. What other real-life situations can be modeled using related rates?

Related rates can be used to model various real-life situations, such as a car's speed and distance, a person's height and weight, or the growth of a plant over time. Essentially, any scenario where two quantities are related and one affects the other can be modeled using related rates.