Calculating CFM at 40 psi from 3.7 CFM @ 90 psi

• Thread starter jimff
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cfm Psi
In summary, the 5 HP air compressor is rated for 1050 RPM and 15.1 CFM @ 40 PSI. The 13.5 CFM @ 90 PSI and 12.3 CFM @ 115 PSI are both at PSI levels above the 145-PSI that is needed.
jimff
I have an air compressor rated for 3.7 cfm @ 90 psi. what would the cfm be @ 40 psi? Is there a simple formula I can use?

Physics news on Phys.org
I have to believe this is a recip, so CFM doesn't increase much at the lower pressure. Might go up a bit because of various factors but not much.

Carry on running at 90 PSI and drop the pressure down through a regulator to 40 PSI and you should get about (slightly less then) twice the volume after the regulator. Very very rough calculation using Boyles Law and assuming that the temperature doesn't alter much.

Last edited:
jimff said:
I have an air compressor rated for 3.7 cfm @ 90 psi. what would the cfm be @ 40 psi? Is there a simple formula I can use?

You didn't provide rpm so I could not get the volume of the compressor.
The shade tree method I use would be,...Assume 14.7 psi atmosphere, divide that into 90 psi for a compression ratio of 6.122.
Divide 90 psi by 40 psi to get 2.25, then multiply by 3.7 cfm to get flow volume of 8.325 cfm at 40 psi.

I'm surprised by one answer above.

Ron

Manufacturers of compressors provide a CFM rating which denotes the displacement, nothing more. The inlet pressure for this application is assumed constant, so regardless of discharge pressure, the inlet density times CFM determines the flow. The primary factors that reduce this capacity are void volume (volume of gas left inside the cylinder at the end of a piston stroke) and the piston ring blowby which should both be relatively small contributors to the reduction in flow. Being this is assumed to be a constant displacement machine, the flow doesn't decrease much as discharge pressure drops. Only an increase/decrease in inlet density would cause a signficant change in flow rate.

Guess we said the same thing in different ways, so a free flow of air at no compression, will be 22.65 cfm at whatever rpm the 3.7 cfm@ 90 psi was taken.

Is the cfm value taken as actual or standard?

RonL said:
Guess we said the same thing in different ways, so a free flow of air at no compression, will be 22.65 cfm at whatever rpm the 3.7 cfm@ 90 psi was taken.
Hi Ron. I understand your interpretation, but that's not what is typically meant for the small air compressor market (or even fairly large air compressors). When manufacturers talk about CFM, they aren't referring to the CFM at 90 psi which is what I believe you're suggesting. They're referring to "free air flow" as it's sometimes called. That's basically just the actual displacement of the machine. If they quote the CFM at a higher pressure, the machine will generally have a higher flow at lower pressure, but that has to do with gas that's re-expanding and leakage past piston rings. For a machine with a free air flow of 3.7 CFM at 90 psig, it may increase to 4 or slightly more CFM at 40 psig, but that's because the machine loses capacity due to leakage and recycle (void volume) as discharge pressure is increased.

Here's an example of a recip compressor similar to the one I'm assuming is being referenced by the OP.
http://www.gastmfg.com/pdf/piston/specsht/6h6l.pdf

Note the graph of pressure versus free air flow near the bottom of the page. This is a 2 stage recip with a flow of about 3.5 CFM at 90 psig and 4.0 CFM at 40 psig.

Jobrag said:
Is the cfm value taken as actual or standard?
CFM is actual. The compressor actually displaces X CFM, so you have to determine SCFM by comparing to actual conditions. If the temperature and pressure of the air being drawn into the compressor is at standard conditions, then the compressor is compressing that amount of air in SCFM. So for the 3.7 CFM compressor taken as the example, if the air going into the compressor is at standard conditions the flow is 3.7 SCFM. So it doesn't matter what the discharge pressure is; if the inlet conditions are standard, the flow in CFM is also SCFM.

Manufacturers do this to 'cover their a**' so to speak. They are just giving the displacement, and it is up to the user to determine what the inlet density is. The CFM is not CFM at the discharge pressure (ie: it is not 3.7 CFM at 90 psig and 70 F) it is 3.7 CFM at inlet pressure and temperature.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Q_Goest,
When is being wrong a good thing ?:frown: When it brings out an answer that helps in giving a better understanding for the question ask.:wink:
I went to my shop and looked at the specs of two compressors purchased for a project I have been working on (very slowly), they are as follows.

5 HP, Air Compressor Pump
Air delivery: 1050 RPM
15.1 CFM @ 40 PSI
13.5 CFM @ 90 PSI
12.3 CFM @ 115 PSI
145-PSI max.

I lost sight of the fact that RPM is the most controlling factor for volume.

Thanks
Ron

1. How do you calculate CFM at 40 psi from a given CFM at 90 psi?

The formula for calculating CFM (cubic feet per minute) at a different pressure is: CFM₂ = CFM₁ x (P₁/P₂) x (T₂/T₁), where CFM₁ is the initial CFM, P₁ is the initial pressure, T₁ is the initial temperature, P₂ is the new pressure, and T₂ is the new temperature. In this case, we can plug in the given values to get: CFM at 40 psi = 3.7 CFM x (90 psi/40 psi) x (520°R/530°R) = 8.4 CFM.

2. What does CFM at 90 psi mean?

CFM at 90 psi refers to the amount of air that can be delivered in one minute at a pressure of 90 pounds per square inch. It is a measure of the air compressor's output and is used to determine the appropriate tools and equipment that can be powered by the compressor.

3. How does pressure affect CFM?

As pressure increases, the volume of air decreases. This means that at a higher pressure, less air is able to flow through a given space in a given amount of time. This is why CFM decreases as pressure increases.

4. Can CFM be converted to other units?

Yes, CFM can be converted to other units of air flow, such as liters per minute or cubic meters per hour. However, it is important to note that the conversion factor will depend on the pressure and temperature at which the CFM value was measured.

5. How do I know the CFM requirements for my tools and equipment?

The CFM requirements for tools and equipment can usually be found in the manufacturer's manual or specifications. If this information is not available, you can estimate the CFM requirements by looking at the tool's air consumption rate and multiplying it by the number of tools being used simultaneously. It is always recommended to have a higher CFM compressor than the estimated requirement to ensure sufficient air flow.