Calculating Charge and Current in a Resistor Circuit

In summary, at time t = 0, a 23 ohms resistor has been linked to a 4.4V battery and has therefore discharged 4.4/24 A of charge over the course of 5 seconds.
whitehorsey
1. At time t = 0, a 23 ohms resistor is linked to a 4.4V battery. How much charge has gone through the resistor after 5 seconds?

2. Q = CΔV
ΔV = IR

3. ΔV = IR
I = ΔV/R
= 4.4/24 A.

I'm not sure what to do next.

Physics news on Phys.org
whitehorsey said:
1. At time t = 0, a 23 ohms resistor is linked to a 4.4V battery. How much charge has gone through the resistor after 5 seconds?

2. Q = CΔV
ΔV = IR

3. ΔV = IR
I = ΔV/R
= 4.4/24 A.

Q = ∫I dt

whitehorsey said:

2. Q = CΔV
ΔV = IR

3. ΔV = IR
I = ΔV/R
= 4.4/24 A.

How did the 23Ω become a 24 when you wrote it down in the formula?

Anyway, what is the relationship between a constant current, charge and time?

Note that the current is not constant in this case!

vanhees71 said:

EDIT: At first, I thought I'd made a ghastly mistake because I'd forgotten a capacitor or something. But this is just a simple circuit with a battery and a resistor. Why can't the current be assumed to be constant?

vanhees71 said:

There is only a resistor and a battery, how is the current not constant?
There is no indication of capacitance in the question details.

The current is constaant. Find the current and find that charge using the time given. Straight foward!

Ok, then I didn't understand the question. I thought there is a resistor and a capacitor. So the Q=CU equation doesn't make any sense.

whitehorsey said:

2. Q = CΔV
ΔV = IR

3. ΔV = IR
I = ΔV/R
= 4.4/24 A.

1 A = ?? coulombs/sec

I figured it out. Thanks guys!

Related to Calculating Charge and Current in a Resistor Circuit

1. What is the difference between a capacitor and a resistor?

A capacitor is a passive electronic component that stores electrical energy in the form of an electric field. It is used to block or filter certain frequencies in a circuit. A resistor, on the other hand, is used to limit the flow of current in a circuit. It dissipates electrical energy in the form of heat.

2. How do capacitors and resistors affect the flow of current in a circuit?

Capacitors and resistors both impede the flow of current in a circuit, but in different ways. Capacitors store electrical energy and release it slowly, causing a delay in the flow of current. Resistors, on the other hand, resist the flow of current and reduce its magnitude.

3. How are the values of capacitors and resistors determined?

The value of a capacitor is determined by its capacitance, which is measured in farads (F). This value is determined by the physical characteristics of the capacitor, such as the size and distance between its plates. The value of a resistor is determined by its resistance, which is measured in ohms (Ω). This value is determined by the material and length of the resistor.

4. What are some common uses for capacitors and resistors?

Capacitors are often used in electronic devices to store energy and regulate voltage. They are also used in filters to block certain frequencies and in timing circuits. Resistors are used to limit current in circuits and to control voltage levels. They are also used in sensors, amplifiers, and power supplies.

5. Can capacitors and resistors be connected in series or parallel?

Yes, both capacitors and resistors can be connected in series or parallel in a circuit. When connected in series, their values add up, and the total capacitance or resistance is equal to the sum of their individual values. When connected in parallel, their values are calculated differently, but the total capacitance or resistance is always lower than the individual values.