Calculating Derivatives Using the Power Rule and Chain Rule

In summary, someone is having difficulty calculating a derivative and is asking for help. They have attempted to solve it using the extended product rule, but it was done incorrectly. They are also trying to use the extended power rule, but it is not relevant in this case. The correct method is to use the chain rule, which involves differentiating the outer function and multiplying it by the derivative of the inner function. This can be applied to polynomials as well.
ciubba
I am having difficulty calculating the following derivative [tex]{ \frac{2x^2-1}{(3x^4+2)^2}}[/tex]

Could someone demonstrate the first step algebraically? Assuming c is the exponent on the variable expression, n is the numerator and d is the denominator, I tried:

[tex]c\frac{n(x)}{d(x)}\frac{n'(x)*d(x)-d'(x)*n(x)}{d(x)^2}[/tex]

Which gives me
[tex]2\frac{2x^2-1}{3x^4+2}\frac{[4x(3x^4+2)]-[(12x^3)(2x^2-1)]}{(3x^4+2)^2}[/tex]

Which simplifies to
[tex]\frac{-48 x^7+72 x^5+8 x^3-16 x}{(3x^4+2)^3}[/tex]

However, the book lists the answer as being [tex]\frac{-36x^5+24x^3+8x}{(3x^4+2)^2}[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not quite sure what rule you're trying to use, but if it's the quotient rule, then you've got it written down wrong. The correct way is:

[tex]\frac{d}{dx} \frac{n(x)}{d(x)} = \frac{n'(x) d(x) - d'(x) n(x)}{d(x)^2}[/tex]

Since you've already worked the latter expression out, it should be easy to finish for you.

Are you sure that : [tex]\frac{d}{dx} (3x^4+2)^2=12x^3[/tex] ?

Char. Limit said:
I'm not quite sure what rule you're trying to use, but if it's the quotient rule, then you've got it written down wrong. The correct way is:

[tex]\frac{d}{dx} \frac{n(x)}{d(x)} = \frac{n'(x) d(x) - d'(x) n(x)}{d(x)^2}[/tex]

Since you've already worked the latter expression out, it should be easy to finish for you.

My book lists a rule called the "extended power rule," which goes as follows:

"Suppose g(x) is a differentiable function of x. Then, for any real number k,

[tex]\frac {d}{dx}[g(x)]^k=k[g(x)]^{k-1}*\frac{d}{dx}[g(x)][/tex]

Here's a link to the text:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/13142109/1-7-the-Chain-Rule

I could easily solve the problem by expanding the binomial expression (3x^4+2)^2 and then using the standard product rule, but I need to know how to use the extended product rule as one of the sample question is raised to the power of 7, and there is no way that I am going to expand that. If you can offer me an alternative method to dealing with the derivatives of high order expressions, I would accept that as well.

The extended power rule isn't exactly relevant here. And you got that particular part correct. The problem was that the quotient rule, for whatever reason, was done incorrectly. I'm not sure where you got a c or the first part of that product.

Char. Limit said:
The extended power rule isn't exactly relevant here. And you got that particular part correct. The problem was that the quotient rule, for whatever reason, was done incorrectly. I'm not sure where you got a c or the first part of that product.

The book says to use the extended power rule in addition to the quotient rule to solve this particular problem, so it has to be relevant >_>

According to the extended power rule, I take the exponent off the expression, k (i accidentally put c), and multiply it by g(x). The text has a step-by-step example of how to use the extended power rule in conjunction with another quotient problem, [tex]\sqrt[4]{\frac{x+3}{x-2}}[/tex] in which they use the setup [tex]k\frac{n(x)}{d(x)}\frac{n'(x)*d(x)-d'(x)*n(x)}{d(x)^2}[/tex], but that form doesn't appear to work here.

ciubba said:
I could easily solve the problem by expanding the binomial expression (3x^4+2)^2 and then using the standard product rule, but I need to know how to use the extended product rule as one of the sample question is raised to the power of 7, and there is no way that I am going to expand that. If you can offer me an alternative method to dealing with the derivatives of high order expressions, I would accept that as well.

You don't need to expend these high order derivatives, just use the chain rule. As a reminder [tex](3x^4+2)^2[/tex] can be seen as a function of this type : [tex]f(g(x))\ \mbox{where}\ g(x)=3x^4+2\ \mbox{and}\ f(x) = x^2\\ \mbox {Now consider that the x in}\ x^2\ \mbox{actually is your function g(x), that is, f(x) is applied to g(x), the x in brackets become g(x).}\\ \mbox{You then have your function h(x) = f(g(x)), which is} (3x^4+2)^2\\ \mbox{You can now differentiate h(x), and as you can see, it's simply the derivative of f(g(x)).}\\ \mbox{Use the chain rule:} \frac{d}{dx}f(g(x)) = f'(g(x)) * g'(x)\ \mbox{and you've got the derivative.}\\ \mbox{You can now differentiate polynomials, for instance :} \frac{d}{dx}(4x^5+3)^9 = 9*(4x^5+3)^8 * 20x^4\\ \mbox{In general :}\ \frac{d}{dx}(P(x))^n = n(P(x))^{n-1} * P'(x)[/tex]

Hope this helps!

Likes 1 person
nathanaelnolk said:
you don't need to expend these high order derivatives, just use the chain rule. As a reminder [tex](3x^4+2)^2[/tex] can be seen as a function of this type : [tex]f(g(x))\ \mbox{where}\ g(x)=3x^4+2\ \mbox{and}\ f(x) = x^2\\ \mbox {now consider that the x in}\ x^2\ \mbox{actually is your function g(x), that is, f(x) is applied to g(x), the x in brackets become g(x).}\\ \mbox{you then have your function h(x) = f(g(x)), which is} (3x^4+2)^2\\ \mbox{you can now differentiate h(x), and as you can see, it's simply the derivative of f(g(x)).}\\ \mbox{use the chain rule:} \frac{d}{dx}f(g(x)) = f'(g(x)) * g'(x)\ \mbox{and you've got the derivative.}\\ \mbox{you can now differentiate polynomials, for instance :} \frac{d}{dx}(4x^5+3)^9 = 9*(4x^5+3)^8 * 20x^4\\ \mbox{in general :}\ \frac{d}{dx}(p(x))^n = n(p(x))^{n-1} * p'(x)[/tex]

hope this helps!

thank you!

Related to Calculating Derivatives Using the Power Rule and Chain Rule

1. What is extended power derivative?

Extended power derivative is a mathematical concept used in calculus to calculate the rate of change of a function with respect to its input. It is an extension of the traditional power derivative, which is used to find the slope of a curve at a specific point.

2. How is extended power derivative different from traditional power derivative?

Extended power derivative takes into account not only the first derivative of a function, but also the higher order derivatives. This means that it provides a more accurate measure of the rate of change of a function, as it considers the behavior of the function at multiple points.

3. What are the applications of extended power derivative?

Extended power derivative is used in various fields, including physics, engineering, economics, and finance. It is particularly useful in modeling and analyzing complex systems, as it provides a more comprehensive understanding of the behavior of the system.

4. Can extended power derivative be negative?

Yes, extended power derivative can be negative. This indicates that the function is decreasing at a certain point, and the rate of change is in the opposite direction of the input variable.

5. How is extended power derivative calculated?

To calculate extended power derivative, we take the traditional power derivative and multiply it by the factorial of the order of the derivative. This takes into account the higher order derivatives and provides a more accurate measure of the rate of change of the function.