Calculating Electric Force of a Point Charge on a Charged Particle Thread

In summary: Fqy = kq integral over Q for the vector Fdq/r^3 * y unit vectorIn summary, a uniformly charged thread with linear charge density 5 C/m exerts an electric force on a 6 C point charge located at (3m, 0m, 2m). The y component of this force can be found using the equation Fqy = 5kq integral 0to7 [(yp-y(x))(1+yprime^2)^(1/2)]/[(3-x)^2 -y(x)^2 +(2)^2]. This can also be written as F= -90k integral (x^2(1+36x^2)^(
ex81
Charged Particle thread with linear charge force

Homework Statement

A uniformly charged thread with linear charge density 5 C/m lies along the curve y = (3/m) x^2 for 0≤x7m. The y component of the electric force it exerts on a 6 C point charge located at (3m, 0m, 2m) is given by:

Homework Equations

line integral equation

∫ f(x, f(x)) √([x(t)]^2 +[y(t)]^2)
fyi, the x(t), and y(t) are both derivatives, I just didn't see the symbol

F = k Qq /r^2

The Attempt at a Solution

As written I'm assuming that both charges are supposed to be positive. So they will be pushing away from each other. Since it is a point vs a thread, the force of the thread against the point will not create a secondary equation.
I'm not exactly sure where to go.

My point of integration will be very likely be from 0 to 7 as that is the value of x.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Wow I was tired when I posted that.

Starting from the basic force equation.

F = k Qq / r^2

F = k(6) (the tiny cumulative charge as we go across the integral) /(change in distance) ^2

F= 6(5)k(3x^2(1+36x^2)^(1/2))÷(r^2)

F= 90k(x^2(1+36x^2)^(1/2))÷(r^2)

Last edited:
I would try to compute the potential ψ, then E = - ψ.

Not sure how I would calculate that atm. My brain is a bit mush. But that does explain a bit of the sign issue I was having with this. I figured it should be negative, but I was just not seeing where it was coming from.

The r value should look something like

([x-3]^2+[3x^2]^2+[2^2])
So
X^2-6x+9 +9x^4+4
9x^4+x^2-6x+13

Therefore the answer should be :

F= -90k integral (x^2(1+36x^2)^(1/2))/(9x^4+x^2-6x+13)^(3/2) with x:0 to 7

Last edited:
Not sure what you mean by 'negative'. I just gave the formula for the E field, given the potential distribution ψ.

The differential potential dψ would be kλds/r2
where r is the distance between (3,0,2) and an element of charge along the thread dq = λ ds, ds2 = dx2 + dy2 along the parabola. The parabola relates dy to dx. Then ψ = ∫ψ dx. The result is ψ(x0, y0, z0).

You can then drop the subscripts on x, y and z and compute E(x,y,z) = - ψ(x,y,z).

Actually, looking at it some, I suspect you might well be better off by evaluating the three components of E separately, bypassing ψ altogether. If you're really gung-ho you could do both and check the answers against each other.

ex81 said:
Not sure how I would calculate that atm. My brain is a bit mush. But that does explain a bit of the sign issue I was having with this. I figured it should be negative, but I was just not seeing where it was coming from.

The r value should look something like

([x-3]^2+[3x^2]^2+[2^2])
So
X^2-6x+9 +9x^4+4
9x^4+x^2-6x+13

The distance r between a point (x,y,0) on the parabola y = 3x2 (the thread) and the observation point P(x0, y0, z0) is given by

r2 = (x0 - x)2 + (y0 - y)2 + z02.

If you go with potential you can't substitute x0 = 3, y0 = 0, z0 = 2 until after you have computed the potential. See my previous post.

As I said, I woud on second thoughts probably try to compute Ex, Ey and Ez directly, forgetting about potential altogether, at least at first.

I'm assuming you are using
using U = kqq/r for the potential electro static equation. It isn't in my text, and I just saw that in another related post.

ex81 said:
I'm assuming you are using
using U = kqq/r for the potential electro static equation. It isn't in my text, and I just saw that in another related post.

Yes. If it isn't in your book then maybe you're not supposed to know about it ... in which case again you should maybe stick with E = Ex i + Ey j + Ez k. Then the force on the charge Q is of course just QE.

I've looked at Ex and I don't like the looks of that integral! I may be missing the boat here ... let's see if others also offer suggestiuons.

ex81 said:

Homework Statement

A uniformly charged thread with linear charge density 5 C/m lies along the curve y = (3/m) x^2 for 0≤x7m. The y component of the electric force it exerts on a 6 C point charge located at (3m, 0m, 2m) is given by:

The question statement as presented looks like the prelude to a multiple choice selection. Is that the case?

As noted by rude man, it looks like you'll be running into a rather nasty integral if you want to solve symbolically. A numerical integration would be doable though, if you just need the numerical value.

That is correct, there were 5 possible answers but they all had 90k integral 0to7

My answer was correct. :-)

How my professor proceeded.

Given:

Lambda =5c/m
Aofx =0, Bofx =, q = 6c, xp =3, yp=0, zp=2, y=3x^2,
y=y(x), dy(x)/dx = 6c

Fqy = 5kq integral 0to7 [(yp-y(x))(1+yprime^2)^(1/2)]/[(3-x)^2 -y(x)^2 +(2)^2]

Then he jumped a bit, and got my answer.
Going back a bit, it looks like he started with the following equation :

Vector of Fq = kq integral over Q for the vector Fdq/r^3

Related to Calculating Electric Force of a Point Charge on a Charged Particle Thread

1. What is a charged particle?

A charged particle is an atom, molecule, or subatomic particle that has an electric charge. This charge can be positive or negative, and is created when there is an imbalance in the number of protons and electrons within the particle.

2. How do charged particles behave?

Charged particles interact with each other through electromagnetic forces. Like charges repel each other, while opposite charges attract. They also interact with electromagnetic fields, such as those created by magnets, which can cause them to move in a specific direction.

3. What is the difference between a positive and negative charged particle?

A positive charged particle has more protons than electrons, giving it a net positive charge. A negative charged particle has more electrons than protons, giving it a net negative charge. These charges determine how the particles interact with each other and with electromagnetic fields.

4. How are charged particles used in scientific research?

Charged particles are used in a variety of research fields, including particle physics, materials science, and energy production. They can also be used in medical applications, such as radiation therapy for cancer treatment.

5. Can charged particles be found in nature?

Yes, charged particles can be found in nature in a variety of forms. For example, the Earth's atmosphere contains ions, which are charged particles formed when molecules in the air gain or lose electrons. Lightning is also a natural phenomenon that involves the movement of charged particles through the atmosphere.