Calculating Energy and Cost Loss in Cafeteria Tea Preparation

• Thread starter Combine
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Loss
In summary, the question asks for the amount of money wasted per school year due to inefficiency in using a hot plate to boil water for tea. It takes 30 minutes to heat enough water for one day's worth of tea, which totals to 200 cups at 200g each. The cost of electrical energy is 1 cent for every 4.5x10^5 J and the hot plate has a power rating of 628W. The provided data shows that in 321 seconds, the water temperature rises from 23 degrees to 60 degrees, but no further progress has been made in solving the problem.
Combine

Homework Statement

Assume the cafeteria uses the same hot plate to boil for tea. and that it takes them 30 minutes to heat enough water for one days worth of tea (200 cups, 200g each cup) Find out how much money (in cents) would be wasted per school tear (300 days) due to inefficiency, if the cost of electrical energy is 1 cent for every 4.5x10^5 J?

Homework Equations

Plate power rating: 628W
Mass of water: 200g

Time (sec) water temperature
0 seconds 23 degrees
321 seconds 60 degrees

The Attempt at a Solution

tbh I don't know where to start, I just know I have to use some random formula of some kind.
I really suck at energy calculation and whatnot

Physics news on Phys.org
, so I'm pretty much lost. I think it has something to do with the heat of vaporization? Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Related to Calculating Energy and Cost Loss in Cafeteria Tea Preparation

What is the definition of energy/money loss?

Energy/money loss refers to the decrease in the amount of energy or money available in a system. It can be caused by various factors such as inefficiency, waste, or external factors.

What are the different types of energy/money loss?

The two main types of energy/money loss are direct and indirect. Direct loss refers to the loss that occurs within a system, while indirect loss refers to the loss that occurs outside of the system, such as through taxes or fees.

How is energy/money loss calculated?

The calculation of energy/money loss depends on the specific situation and type of loss. However, in general, it involves identifying the initial amount of energy/money, determining the amount lost, and calculating the percentage or total value of the loss.

What are the common causes of energy/money loss?

There are many potential causes of energy/money loss, including inefficient processes, equipment failures, human error, natural disasters, and external factors such as market fluctuations or policy changes.

How can energy/money loss be reduced or prevented?

Energy/money loss can be reduced or prevented through various strategies such as improving efficiency, using renewable energy sources, implementing proper maintenance and monitoring processes, and implementing policies or regulations to address external factors.