Calculating Flow Rate for Air and Methane in a Valve

In summary: So I need to find the right pressure for each gas.In summary, you need to calculate the correct pressure for each gas that you are using to simulate air flow.
eway_123
TL;DR Summary
gas, air, thermodynamics, physics
good day! I did not find a suitable forum thread, so I am writing here ... There is a valve through which you need to drive gas under a certain pressure, physically there is no way to drive gas, so it was decided to replace the gas with air. Knowing the required pressure and gas temperature, how to create the same air mixture? thank

• Skeptical
Likes davenn
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi. What "gas" did you have in mind? Are you talking about Methane (Natural Gas) or perhaps Hydrogen?
Are you suggesting that you need an "air substitute"?

eway_123 said:
physically there is no way to drive gas

https://outdoorgearlab-mvnab3pwrvp3t0.stackpathdns.com/photos/20/0/321541_12305_L.jpg

1594906742552.png

sophiecentaur said:
Hi. What "gas" did you have in mind? Are you talking about Methane (Natural Gas) or perhaps Hydrogen?
Are you suggesting that you need an "air substitute"?
yes, Natural Gas-Methane.

Likes sophiecentaur
So you want to know the pressure needed for a particular mass flow rate through a particular sized aperture, compared with what you get with air?

sophiecentaur said:
So you want to know the pressure needed for a particular mass flow rate through a particular sized aperture, compared with what you get with air?
yes, I want to know what air pressure is needed to simulate gas passing through this hole

The pressure for the same mass flow rate for air as for methane?
This link allows you to calculate flow rate for air and methane (many other fluids too) for a range of pipe dimensions. It could give you the answer you seek.

sophiecentaur said:
The pressure for the same mass flow rate for air as for methane?
This link allows you to calculate flow rate for air and methane (many other fluids too) for a range of pipe dimensions. It could give you the answer you seek.

Thanks for the answer. Yes, I need to recalculate gas (methane) into air while keeping the flow rate. I looked at the formula:
https://www.mankenberg.ru/ru/55/UPLOAD/pdf/s33_3.pdf

1. What is the difference between gas and air?

Gas and air are both made up of molecules and atoms, but the main difference is their composition. Gas is a state of matter that has no definite shape or volume, while air is a mixture of gases, mostly nitrogen and oxygen, that makes up Earth's atmosphere.

2. How does the transition from gas to air occur?

The transition from gas to air occurs through a process called diffusion. This is when gas molecules spread out and mix with other gases in the surrounding area, creating a uniform mixture of gases, or air.

3. Why is the transition from gas to air important?

The transition from gas to air is important because it allows for the exchange of gases in living organisms. For example, when we breathe, oxygen from the air is diffused into our bloodstream, and carbon dioxide from our body is diffused into the air. This process is essential for respiration and maintaining a healthy balance of gases in our bodies.

4. Can the transition from gas to air be reversed?

Yes, the transition from gas to air can be reversed through a process called condensation. This is when gas molecules cool down and come together to form a liquid or solid state. For example, when water vapor cools down, it condenses into liquid water droplets, which can then turn into solid ice.

5. What factors can affect the transition from gas to air?

The transition from gas to air can be affected by temperature, pressure, and the type of gas present. Higher temperatures and lower pressures can increase the rate of diffusion, while lower temperatures and higher pressures can slow it down. The type of gas present also plays a role, as some gases may diffuse faster or slower than others.