Calculating Flow Rates for Cascading Heat Pumps

• Thread starter cheme2019
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Heat Pumps
In summary, the Chemical Company wants to implement a cascading refrideration cycle to provide 1 MM Btu/hr of cooling. They are given the three compounds they are using and the evaporator temperature, compressor out pressure, and cycle 1, 2, and 3 flow rates. To calculate the work required in each compressor, the condenser duty, and the stream table, they will need the Enthalpy departure function with respect to density. To create a UniSim simulation to compare the three cycles, they will need the initial temperature, pressure, and flow rates for cycle 1, the initial temperature, pressure, and flow rates for cycle 2, and the initial temperature, pressure, and flow rate for cycle 3.
cheme2019

Homework Statement

I am given that a Chemical Company wants to implement a cascading refrideration cycle to provide 1 MM Btu/hr of cooling. We are given the three compounds we are using.
Evaporator Temperature (F) Compresspr Out Pressure(psia)
Cycle 1 Methane -251.6 580.2
Cycle 2 Ethylene -135.7 377.1
Cycle 3 Ammonia -9.67 203.1

I am suppose to use the Peng Robinson EOS for all three fluids.

Calculate the flow rates of cycle 1, 2 and 3
Calculate the work required in each compressor / lbm of fluid
Calculate the condenser duty in cycle 3 per lbm of flow in cycle 1
Create a stream table
Create an Energy Table
Prepare a UniSim simulation to compare.

Assumptions
Sat'd Vapor going into each compressor
Each compressor is 80% efficient
Sat'D Liquid leaving heat exchanger/cooler
delta P = 0 in Heat exchangers/heater/cooler

Homework Equations

Peng Robinson EOS
P= [\frac {RTρ} {1-bρ} - \frac {aρ^2} {1+2bρ-b^2 ρ^2}]
Enthalpy Departure Functions
Entropy Departure Functions
η = W'/W = ΔH'/ΔH

The Attempt at a Solution

So I want to start with the first compressor because I have an initial temperature and pressure (from antoines) and I have an exiting pressure. So with these I should be able to get an exiting pressure and the amount of work that is needed.
I was going to start off using the Enthalpy departure function with respect to density, but density changes with respect to temperature and I don't know how to intergrate T with a changing ρ and P...
Can anyone help point me in the right direction?

Physics news on Phys.org
UPDATE:
So I found out that I can use ΔH = Ws to start out with the compressor. I was able to find T2' to get rho and ΔH', then use the efficiency to get ΔH. So now I'm stuck at my departure function, because density is changing with respect to temperature, so I don't know how to integrate my dZ/dT with a changing temperature and density...
Basically I know
H1-H1ig, H2ig - H1ig
But I can't figure out
H2 - H2ig

Thanks for the help

1. How do cascading heat pumps work?

Cascading heat pumps work by using multiple heat pumps in a series to transfer heat from a low-temperature source to a higher-temperature sink. The first heat pump extracts heat from the source and transfers it to the second heat pump, which then transfers it to the sink. This process can be repeated multiple times to achieve even higher temperature differences.

2. What factors affect the flow rate for cascading heat pumps?

The flow rate for cascading heat pumps is affected by several factors, including the heat transfer rate, the temperature difference between the source and sink, the type and size of the heat pumps used, and the flow rate of the refrigerant or working fluid.

3. How do you calculate the flow rate for cascading heat pumps?

The flow rate for cascading heat pumps can be calculated by dividing the heat transfer rate by the product of the temperature difference and the heat transfer coefficient. This calculation can be repeated for each heat pump in the cascade to determine the overall flow rate.

4. What are some common challenges when calculating flow rates for cascading heat pumps?

One common challenge when calculating flow rates for cascading heat pumps is accurately determining the heat transfer coefficient, which depends on factors such as the type of heat pump, fluid flow rate, and heat exchanger design. Additionally, accounting for pressure drop and fluid properties can also be challenging.

5. How can the flow rate for cascading heat pumps be optimized?

The flow rate for cascading heat pumps can be optimized by considering the design and arrangement of the heat pumps and heat exchangers, as well as the properties of the working fluid. Using larger heat exchangers and optimizing the fluid flow rate can also help to improve the overall flow rate and efficiency of the system.