Calculating Gas Flow Rate in a 180km Stainless Steel Natural Gas Pipeline

In summary, the pressure at the start of a 180km stainless steel natural gas pipeline is 4Mpa and at the end is 2Mpa. If the diameter of the pipe is 0.4m, the gas flow rate through the system will be 16 m3/s.
cd19
1. The pressure at the start of a 180km stainless steel natural gas pipeline is 4Mpa and at the end is 2Mpa. If the diameter of the pipe is 0.4m, what will be the gas flow rate through the system? (ignore losses other than friciton)
(for natural gas, [tex]\rho[/tex]= 40kg/m3, [tex]\mu[/tex]= 11x10-6 Pas

[tex]\nu[/tex]=[tex]\mu[/tex]/[tex]\rho[/tex] (kinematic velocity)

Re = [tex]\mu[/tex]*D/[tex]\nu[/tex] (Reynolds number)

Q= ([tex]\pi[/tex]*D^4/ 128*[tex]\mu[/tex]*L)*(P1-P2) (Flow rate)
3. First I found the Kinematic velocity; [tex]\nu[/tex]=11x10-6/40 = 2.75*10-7

I subbed this value into the reynolds number equation;

Re = 1x10-6*0.4/2.75*10-7 = 16

As the Re number is less than 2100 the flow is laminar and I can use the above equation, I also used the moody diagram to establish the friction factor; The pipe is stainless steel so the relative rougness was equal to .045/.4*103 this part I wasn't quite sure of but I found the friction factor value to be (.002)

Now all I have to do is sub into this equation:
Q= ([tex]\pi[/tex]*D^4/ 128*[tex]\mu[/tex]*L)*(P1-P2) correct?

But how do I incorporate the friction factor? Also Is my analysis of the problem correct?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Anyone have any help?

Moody diagrams are used to find pressure drops I think. Here you know the pressure drop.

I don't see any "friction factor" terms in your Q equation. And you do know P1-P2. So...

If you were wanting to determine the pressure drop due to the roughness of the pipe then yes you would need to know the friction factor. But you already know the pressure drop.

Ah ok, If its a laminar flow no need to account for friction. Just seems a bit too easy, was one of the questions with the most marks

cd19 said:
Ah ok, If its a laminar flow no need to account for friction. Just seems a bit too easy, was one of the questions with the most marks
That's the way I see it. :smile:

I've just noticed something, My Re equation is wrong it should be (u) Mean velocity instead of [tex]\mu[/tex] Viscosity, And to find u = Q/A , Now I'm completely confused.

What is fluid pipe flow rate Q?

Fluid pipe flow rate Q refers to the volume of fluid that passes through a pipe in a given amount of time. It is often measured in cubic meters per second (m3/s) or gallons per minute (gpm).

How is fluid pipe flow rate Q calculated?

Fluid pipe flow rate Q is calculated using the equation Q = A * V, where A is the cross-sectional area of the pipe and V is the average velocity of the fluid. This equation is based on the principle of continuity, which states that the volume of fluid entering a pipe must equal the volume of fluid exiting the pipe.

What factors affect fluid pipe flow rate Q?

Some factors that can affect fluid pipe flow rate Q include the diameter and length of the pipe, the fluid viscosity, the pressure and temperature of the fluid, and the presence of any obstacles or restrictions in the pipe.

Why is it important to measure fluid pipe flow rate Q?

Measuring fluid pipe flow rate Q is important in many industries, such as water distribution, oil and gas, and chemical processing. It allows engineers and scientists to monitor and control the flow of fluids, ensuring efficient and safe operation of systems.

How can fluid pipe flow rate Q be optimized?

Fluid pipe flow rate Q can be optimized by using pipes with larger diameters, minimizing the length of the pipes, and reducing any obstructions or restrictions. Additionally, adjusting the fluid pressure and temperature can also affect the flow rate.