Calculating Induced EMF in a Circular Loop Antenna

In summary, the problem is that when a circular loop of wire is used as an antenna, the emf induced in the loop is proportional to the power of the transmitter.
AStaunton
the problem given is:
A circular loop of wire can be used as a radio antenna. If a 22.0-cm-diameter antenna is located 2.20km away from a 95.0-MHz source with a total power of 55.0kW, what is the maximum emf induced in the loop? (Assume that the plane of the antenna loop is perpendicular to the direction of the radiation's magnetic field and that the source radiates uniformly in all directions.)

As far as I have gotten in solving the problem:
as the loop of wire is at a distance of 2.2km from transmitter we want to find how much energy the loop of wire is getting:

((area of loop of wire)/(surface area of 2.2km sphere))*(power of transmitter)

and plugging numbers in (in mks units) gives:

((.11^2*pi)/(2200^2*pi)*55000) = 3.43*10^-5W

I would be very grateful for a nudge in the right direction...I'm fairly sure there must be a convenient equation derived from laws of inductance that links the power going through the loop, the Frequency (95Mhz) and the induced Voltage which is the variable I want to find.

Thanks

Andrew

Physics news on Phys.org
it occurs that maybe the relevant equation here is simply:

P = VI

where as I already stated P for the loop = 3.43*10^-5W

still can't figure what should be done from here...

Still not positive that P = VI is that right eqtion to use!

futher update:

forget that P = VI crap!

it seems that this problem involves Faraday's law:

EMF= d(phi)/dt

so as loop as perpendicular to propogation, phi is simply B*A.

A=.11^2*3.14 ---> as per the values given in the problem..

to find B:

we know intensity, I:

55000/(22000^2*4*3.14) = 9.05*10^-4 W/m^2

also we know I = EmaxBmax/2(mu_0)

so can find Bmax from this:
=> Bmax = 2.76(10^-9)

so (phi) = Bmax*A=1.048(10^-10)

so to find d(phi)/dt is it simply a matter of dividing the above value by the frequency that was told in the question (95MHz)?

But this apparently is not the correct answer...

Be very grateful if someone could inform me of whatever mistakes I am making...cheers

1. What is inductance in a loop of wire?

Inductance in a loop of wire is a measure of the ability of the wire to store energy in the form of a magnetic field when an electric current flows through it.

2. How is inductance calculated in a loop of wire?

Inductance in a loop of wire can be calculated using the formula L=NΦ/I, where L is the inductance in henries, N is the number of turns in the loop, Φ is the magnetic flux through the loop, and I is the current flowing through the loop.

3. What factors affect the inductance in a loop of wire?

The inductance in a loop of wire is affected by the number of turns in the loop, the size and shape of the loop, the material of the wire, and the presence of any nearby magnetic fields.

4. What is the significance of inductance in a loop of wire?

Inductance in a loop of wire is important in the functioning of many electrical devices, such as transformers and motors. It also plays a role in the transmission and distribution of electricity.

5. How can the inductance in a loop of wire be changed?

The inductance in a loop of wire can be changed by altering the factors that affect it, such as changing the number of turns in the loop or the material of the wire. It can also be changed by introducing or removing magnetic materials near the loop.