Calculating Magnetic Flux Change for Rotating Wire in Magnetic Field

In summary: No, you wouldn't expect the ring to heat up. The induced current is very small and would not cause much heating.
tomwilliam

Homework Statement

If a loop of wire starts off horizontal, in a magnetic field angled 12º from the normal to the surface of the loop, and then rotates 180º in a constant magnetic field of magnitude B, what is the magnitude of the change in magnetic flux?

Homework Equations

Flux = A.B cos theta

The Attempt at a Solution

The way I see it, it should start off as:
Flux = Area x B cos 12º
then rise to its peak when perpendicular to the direction of the magnetic field
Flux = Area x B cos 0º
then down to 0 when parallel,
Flux = Area x B cos 90º
then back to the starting point, hence a overall magnitude change of 0.
Is this correct?
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Yeah, you've got a good handle on it. Food for thought: what happens with the overall flux (not the magnitude), how does the current change, what about the EMF?

Those are the follow on questions.
My problem is with the word magnitude.
I plotted a graph and saw that over 180º the magnetic flux goes from +1.6 (using the data I have) to -1.6. Does that mean the magnitude of the change is 3.2? Or is it 0?
Thanks

Magnitude is the total, absolute value. So the magnitude of the magnetic flux is |+1.6| and |-1.6|, 1.6 in both cases. The magnitude is the same, so [itex]\Delta |\Phi|= |\Phi_2| - |\Phi_1| = 0[/itex]. The implications, however, are different.

Last edited:
Mindscrape said:
Magnitude is the total, absolute value. So the magnitude of the magnetic flux is |+1.6| and |-1.6|, 1.6 in both cases. The magnitude is the same, so [itex]\Delta |\Phi|= |\Phi_2| - |\Phi_1| = 0[/itex]. The implications, however, are different.

I appreciate what you're saying. In this case, shouldn't the question read "what is the change in the magnitude of the magnetic flux?"?
It actually says what is the magnitude of the change in magnetic flux, and I'm a bit unsure of how this affects the answer.
Thanks in advance
Tom

Ah, I see what you mean. Is there a way you could put down both answers? One saying zero is if the question means change in magnitude, and another saying 3.6 if the questions means magnitude of the change.

I might just do that, thanks.

After having calculated the EMF in the ring as a result of flipping it 180º in 0.2 seconds, I'm now asked whether I would expect the ring to heat up due to this induced current.

I've no idea how to justify my answer (no) which is based on everyday experience. I can calculate the (very small) EMF, and could use V=iR with an estimate for resistance to produce a rough current i, but still don't know how to justify my simple answer.
Any advice?
Thanks in advance

Related to Calculating Magnetic Flux Change for Rotating Wire in Magnetic Field

1. How do you calculate the magnetic flux change for a rotating wire in a magnetic field?

The magnetic flux change for a rotating wire in a magnetic field can be calculated using the formula: ΔΦ = B∆AcosΘ where ΔΦ is the magnetic flux change, B is the magnetic field strength, ∆A is the change in the area of the loop, and Θ is the angle between the magnetic field and the normal to the loop.

2. What is the significance of calculating the magnetic flux change for a rotating wire in a magnetic field?

Calculating the magnetic flux change for a rotating wire in a magnetic field is important in understanding the principles of electromagnetism and how it relates to the generation of electricity. It helps to determine the induced electromotive force (EMF) in the wire, which is crucial in designing electrical devices such as generators and motors.

3. How does the angle between the magnetic field and the normal to the loop affect the magnetic flux change?

The angle between the magnetic field and the normal to the loop, Θ, affects the magnetic flux change by altering the amount of magnetic field lines passing through the loop. When Θ is 0 degrees, the magnetic flux change is at its maximum, and when Θ is 90 degrees, the magnetic flux change is at its minimum.

4. Can the magnetic flux change be negative?

Yes, the magnetic flux change can be negative. This occurs when the angle between the magnetic field and the normal to the loop is greater than 90 degrees, resulting in a decrease in the amount of magnetic field lines passing through the loop.

5. What are some real-life applications of calculating the magnetic flux change for a rotating wire in a magnetic field?

Some real-life applications of calculating the magnetic flux change for a rotating wire in a magnetic field include generators, electric motors, and induction cooktops. In generators, the rotation of a wire in a magnetic field produces an induced EMF, generating electricity. In electric motors, the opposite occurs, where an applied current to a wire in a magnetic field produces a rotational force. Induction cooktops use a magnetic field to heat up a metal pan, utilizing the principles of magnetic flux change and induction to create heat.