Calculating magnetic flux density using Biot-Savart law.

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem and asks for feedback on a proposed solution. The problem involves determining the direction of a vector in the x-y plane, and there are some concerns about the approach taken and the calculations involved. The participants suggest using cylindrical coordinates and correcting for errors in the solution. They also discuss the components of the vector and the use of the right hand rule. Finally, they advise on how to calculate the necessary components for the solution.
3OPAH
Hello, all. I have been working on the following problem and was wondering if someone could check my work and provide some valuable input:
hJAsGCN.png

Here is my work:
ajT4OsT.jpg

What do you guys think about my approach to this problem?

Physics news on Phys.org
What is r, why do you consider z if everything happens in the x/y plane? Where does the expression for ##\vec{R}## come from?
In particular, how can your result depend on "r" which does not appear in the problem statement? The direction of the answer does not seem to make sense - how can something at the origin point in the direction of an angle?

Did you try to use cylindrical coordinates? I don't think that helps.

I don't understand why you integrate from -a to a.

I think you forgot to multiply the final result by 3 for the three wires, but there are several other things to fix first.

mfb said:
What is r, why do you consider z if everything happens in the x/y plane? Where does the expression for ##\vec{R}## come from?
In particular, how can your result depend on "r" which does not appear in the problem statement? The direction of the answer does not seem to make sense - how can something at the origin point in the direction of an angle?

Did you try to use cylindrical coordinates? I don't think that helps.

I don't understand why you integrate from -a to a.

I think you forgot to multiply the final result by 3 for the three wires, but there are several other things to fix first.
You are correct. Neither dl nor R should have components along ez. Since the triangle lies in the x-y plane (z=0), dl should have components along ex and ey. Also, R should only have components along ex and ey because it's pointing from the location of dl , which is in the x-y plane, to the origin, which is also in the x-y plane. Accordingly, the cross product dl x R would come out to be along ez, which is what we should expect from the right hand rule.

I am having a hard time computing dl and R. When I find dl and R it's a simple substitution into dB from there. Could you show me how you would calculate dl and R ?

Did you find the coordinates of the three corners? dl will be along one of the edges - there is an easy one and two more complicated edges. R follows from the choice of the edge. Note that it varies along the length of the wire.

What is the Biot-Savart law?

The Biot-Savart law is a fundamental law in electromagnetism that relates the magnetic field produced by a current-carrying wire to the magnitude, direction, and distance of the current.

How do you calculate the magnetic flux density using the Biot-Savart law?

To calculate the magnetic flux density, also known as the magnetic field strength, at a point P in space due to a current-carrying wire, you can use the Biot-Savart law formula: B = (μ0/4π) * (I * dl x r) / r^2, where μ0 is the permeability of free space, I is the current, dl is the differential length element of the wire, and r is the distance from the wire to point P.

What are the units for the Biot-Savart law formula?

The units for the Biot-Savart law formula are Tesla (T) for magnetic flux density, Ampere (A) for current, and meter (m) for distance. The unit for μ0 is known as the magnetic constant and has a value of 4π x 10^-7 T*m/A.

What are the assumptions made when using the Biot-Savart law?

The Biot-Savart law assumes that the current is steady, the magnetic field is constant, and the current is confined to a wire or a small region. It also assumes that the magnetic field produced is not affected by external magnetic fields.

What are the applications of the Biot-Savart law?

The Biot-Savart law has numerous applications in different fields such as electrical engineering, physics, and geology. Some examples include designing electronic devices, studying the Earth's magnetic field, and analyzing the magnetic field of the human body.