Calculating magnitude of total force (N)

In summary, the problem involves calculating the total force and angle between three charges using Coulombs Constant and the distance formula. The key factor, r hat, is a unit vector that points in the direction of the force and has a magnitude of 1. To calculate r hat, the vector from one charge to another is divided by its magnitude. Once the force is calculated for each pair of charges, the final force is found by adding the individual forces together.
Mary O'Donovzn

Homework Statement

You are given 3 charges (q1,q2,q3)

q1 has a magnitude (charge) of 7, q2 has a magnitude (charge) of -5, q3 has a magnitude (charge) of 3.

q1 has 2d co ordinates (3, 4), q2 has a 2d co ordinates (5, 9), q3 has a 2d co ordinates (7, 8).

For q1, q2 and q3 calculate the total force (N) and the angle it makes with the x-axis (radians) {there should be two}

Homework Equations

In your calculations you must use the following equation :

F =[K0 (q1q2)/d2 ] x r hat

Where K0 is Coulombs Constant = 8.9875 x 109 Nm2/C2

Also use the distance formula to get d the distance between the two

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I couldn't even attempt this question without these things.

The real problem is r hat I don’t know how to calculate it and people just keep saying it’s a unit vector but I don’t understand how you use that.

Also do you add all three forces together like

F12, F13, F23 Or is there more than that?

Physics news on Phys.org
Mary O'Donovzn said:

Homework Statement

You are given 3 charges (q1,q2,q3)

q1 has a magnitude (charge) of 7, q2 has a magnitude (charge) of -5, q3 has a magnitude (charge) of 3.

q1 has 2d co ordinates (3, 4), q2 has a 2d co ordinates (5, 9), q3 has a 2d co ordinates (7, 8).

For q1, q2 and q3 calculate the total force (N) and the angle it makes with the x-axis (radians) {there should be two}

Homework Equations

In your calculations you must use the following equation :

F =[K0 (q1q2)/d2 ] x r hat

Where K0 is Coulombs Constant = 8.9875 x 109 Nm2/C2

Also use the distance formula to get d the distance between the two

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I couldn't even attempt this question without these things.

The real problem is r hat I don’t know how to calculate it and people just keep saying it’s a unit vector but I don’t understand how you use that.

Also do you add all three forces together like

F12, F13, F23 Or is there more than that?
Say you have two charges ##q_1 = q_2 = +1.0\text{ C}##. The first charge is at the origin, and the second charge is at the point (3,4). Draw a picture of the two charges, and draw in the force on the second charge. How would you describe the direction of that force in words? Can you describe that mathematically as well, i.e., slope, angle, etc.?

vela said:
Say you have two charges q1=q2=+1.0 Cq_1 = q_2 = +1.0\text{ C}. The first charge is at the origin, and the second charge is at the point (3,4). Draw a picture of the two charges, and draw in the force on the second charge. How would you describe the direction of that force in words? Can you describe that mathematically as well, i.e., slope, angle, etc.?
If its with the origin would it be a right angles triangle so could I say θ = (x2-x1)i(hat) + (y2-y1) j (hat) divided by square root of (x2-x1)^2 + (y2-y1)^2

or use pythagoras's theorem?

That's right. In this case, you'd have ##\hat{r} = \left(\frac 35, \frac 45\right)##. The vector points away from the origin, where charge 1 is at, because the charges have the same sign and therefore repel. If the charges had opposite sign, you'd have ##\hat{r} = -\left(\frac 35, \frac 45\right)##.

So what do you get for ##\hat{r}## for the original problem for the force on charge 2 due to charge 1?

why are they both over 5?

I got (3/7) and (4/8)

I'm guessing that is very wrong

In the example I gave, the vector ##\vec{r}## that goes from the first charge, which is at the origin, to the second charge, which is at (3,4) is ##\vec{r} = 3\hat{i} + 4\hat{j}##. The 5 comes from length of this vector, which is given by ##\| \vec{r} \| = \sqrt{3^2+4^2}##. You divide by that factor because you want ##\hat{r} = \vec{r}/\|\vec{r}\|## to have unit length:
$$\hat{r} = \frac 15 (3\hat{i} + 4\hat{j}) = \frac 35 \hat{i} + \frac 45 \hat{j}.$$ And if you were to calculate the length of ##\hat{r}##, you'd find it indeed does have unit length:
$$\| \hat{r} \| = \sqrt{\left(\frac 35\right)^2 + \left(\frac 45\right)^2} = \sqrt{\frac{9+16}{25}} = 1.$$

In your problem, you have ##(x_1, y_1) = (3,4)## and ##(x_2,y_2) = (5,9)##. The vector ##\vec{r}## is given by ##\vec{r} = (x_2-x_1)\hat{i} + (y_2-y_1)\hat{j} = 2\hat{i} + 5 \hat{j}##. Can you take the rest from here?

That is really clear example I think I got this :D
Thanks a million

1. What is the formula for calculating the magnitude of total force?

The formula for calculating the magnitude of total force (N) is F = m x a, where F is the force in Newtons (N), m is the mass in kilograms (kg), and a is the acceleration in meters per second squared (m/s^2).

2. How do you calculate the magnitude of total force when given a mass and acceleration?

To calculate the magnitude of total force when given a mass and acceleration, simply plug in the values into the formula F = m x a. Make sure to use consistent units for mass and acceleration (kg for mass, m/s^2 for acceleration).

3. What if I am given the force and mass, how do I find the acceleration?

If you are given the force and mass, you can find the acceleration by rearranging the formula to a = F/m. Again, make sure to use consistent units for force and mass (N for force, kg for mass).

4. Can I use this formula to calculate the total force of an object in motion?

Yes, this formula can be used to calculate the total force of an object in motion as long as you have the mass and acceleration values for the object.

5. What are the units for the magnitude of total force?

The units for the magnitude of total force are Newtons (N), which is a unit of force in the International System of Units (SI).