Help with Electric Forces Problem and Equilateral Triangles

In summary: The directions of the forces are: F12 is pushing q2 towards the left, and F23 is pushing q2 towards the right.
Phy_TR

Homework Statement

The point charges in the figure have the following values: q1=+2.1μC, q2=+6.3μC, q3=−0.89μC. Suppose that the magnitude of the net electrostatic force exerted on the point charge q2 in the figure is 0.57 N .
Find the distance d and the direction (angle) of the net force.
Walker.19.25.jpg

Homework Equations

(I think) F=k|q||q|/d^2
and pythagorean theorem

The Attempt at a Solution

I really think I overcomplicated myself in the beginning (I separated each F12 and F23 into its x and y components), but my most recent solution goes:
F12 = k|q1||q2|/d^2
F23 = k|q2||q3|/d^2

and then attempting to do (0.57)^2 = (k|q1||q2|/d^2)^2+(k|q2||q3|/d^2)^2
and solving for d. I know the right answer is 0.43 m but I truly don't know how that is (neither of my two methods have worked). I've been doing this for two hours (to my embarrassment) so any input would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
(Also, is responding to these three questions what using the template means?)

Physics news on Phys.org
Phy_TR said:

I really think I overcomplicated myself in the beginning (I separated each F12 and F23 into its x and y components),
Yes, that's the way to approach it. If you show us some details of what you did, maybe we can spot the error.
but my most recent solution goes:
F12 = k|q1||q2|/d^2
F23 = k|q2||q3|/d^2

and then attempting to do (0.57)^2 = (k|q1||q2|/d^2)^2+(k|q2||q3|/d^2)^2
and solving for d.
This won't work because the forces F21 and F23 are not perpendicular to one another.

(Also, is responding to these three questions what using the template means?)
Using the template just means filling in all three parts of

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

You did that very nicely!:smile:

TSny said:
You did that very nicely!:smile:

Awesome, thanks!

Ok, so this is what I did when I decomposed the vectors the first time:

F12x= cos60F12
F12y= sin60F12

and

F23x= F23
F23y= 0

giving me:

FNetX = F23X-F12X (because they're going opposite I used the negative sign)
FNetY = F12Y

And then I did the pythagorean theorem for all of that:
(F23X-F12X)2+(F12Y)2=FNet2

[(k|q2||q3|/d^2 - cos60(k|q1||q2|/d^2)]2 + [sin60(k|q1||q2|/d^2)]2 = FNet2

:eek:...and it works now...
I wish I hadn't erased my first attempt (then I would've know what went wrong), but surely it was the part with the FNetX because I don't remember getting a negative answer to that before...wow.

TSny said:
This won't work because the forces F21 and F23 are not perpendicular to one another.

Yes *facepalm*, it seems silly to have given up on my previous plan for that one!

Thank you so much TSny, and sorry about that! :oops:

Phy_TR said:
Ok, so this is what I did when I decomposed the vectors the first time:

F12x= cos60F12
F12y= sin60F12
Good. (I'm assuming you're taking the x-axis to be horizontal and the y-axis vertical.)

F23x= F23
F23y= 0

This doesn't look right. F23 does not point along the x axis.

Just to make sure we're together, can you describe in words the directions of F12 and F23 acting on q2?

1. What is an electric force?

An electric force is a type of force that exists between two charged particles. It can be either attractive or repulsive, depending on the charges of the particles. The strength of the electric force is determined by the magnitude of the charges and the distance between them.

2. How do you calculate electric force?

The electric force can be calculated using Coulomb's Law, which states that the force between two charged particles is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. The formula is F = k * (q1 * q2)/r^2, where F is the force, k is the Coulomb's constant, q1 and q2 are the charges of the particles, and r is the distance between them.

3. What is an equilateral triangle?

An equilateral triangle is a type of triangle in which all three sides are of equal length. It also has three equal angles of 60 degrees each. This type of triangle is symmetrical and has rotational symmetry of order 3.

4. How can you use an equilateral triangle to solve an electric force problem?

In an equilateral triangle, all three sides are of equal length, which means that the distance between the three charged particles is the same. This simplifies the calculation of electric force as the distance (r) in the Coulomb's Law formula will be the same for all three pairs of particles. Additionally, the symmetry of the triangle can help in determining the direction of the forces.

5. Can an equilateral triangle be used to represent real-life electric force problems?

Yes, an equilateral triangle can be used to represent real-life electric force problems, as long as the distances between the charged particles are equal. However, in most real-life scenarios, the distances may not be equal, and the triangle may not be an equilateral one. In such cases, other geometric shapes may be used to represent the problem, such as right triangles or squares.