Magnitude, 2D co-ordinates and Coulomb's Law

In summary: D system)so this equation is just a way of expressing the direction in terms of the angles (theta) and the unit vectors.
Mary O'Donovzn

Homework Statement

How do you calculate compute the the magnitude of the total force of three charges and also the angle it makes with the x-axis? Knowing the magnitude and also the 2d co ordinates of the charges. (x1,y1) (x2,y2) (x3,y3)

I know for definite I use the below calculation but what exactly is r hat?
K0 * Q1.Q2 / d^2 * r hat

there is apparently 2 thetas aswell.

Homework Equations

[/B]
K0 * Q1.Q2 / d^2 * r hat

r hat = cos(theta)i + sin(theta)j
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^I have no idea how to get this with 2D coordinates

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
In my attempt at a solution I subbed in K0=8.9875 * 10^9

I subbed in Q1Q2 (F12)
I subbed in Q1Q3 (F13)
I subbed in Q2Q3 (F23)

Then for each of them I used the x and y co ordinates of them,.
Then I got 100 % confused by r hat :(

I appreciate any help at all

Thanks in advance :)

Physics news on Phys.org
r-hat ([itex]\hat{r}[/itex]) is a unit vector. Unit vectors have a length of 1. In this way you can separate out the "magnitude" of a vector from its direction. So you can think of r-hat as a vector (of length 1) that points in the direction from the particle to where you want to measure the force at.
Any vector can be expressed as the product of a magnitude and a unit vector, like: [itex]R\hat{r}[/itex] where R is the magnitude (length) of the vector and [itex]\hat{r}[/itex] is the direction.

So in your equation: K0 * Q1.Q2 / d^2 * r hat
(K0 * Q1.Q2 / d^2)
is the magnitude and r hat is the direction.

In the equation:
r hat = cos(theta)i + sin(theta)j
'j' and 'i' are also unit vectors: i=(1,0) j=(0,1)

1. What is magnitude?

Magnitude refers to the size or amount of something. In the context of physics, it often describes the strength or intensity of a physical quantity, such as force or electric field.

2. What are 2D coordinates?

2D coordinates, also known as two-dimensional coordinates, are a set of two numbers that are used to locate a point on a two-dimensional plane. These coordinates consist of an x-value and a y-value, which represent the horizontal and vertical positions of the point, respectively.

3. What is Coulomb's Law?

Coulomb's Law is a fundamental law of electrostatics that describes the relationship between the electrical force, the charge of two objects, and the distance between them. It states that the force between two charged objects is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

4. How is Coulomb's Law used in 2D coordinates?

In 2D coordinates, Coulomb's Law can be used to calculate the electric force between two charged particles located at specific points on a two-dimensional plane. The distance between the particles can be calculated using the Pythagorean theorem, and the angle between the force vector and the x-axis can be determined using trigonometric functions.

5. What units are used for magnitude, 2D coordinates, and Coulomb's Law?

Magnitude is often measured in units such as Newtons (for force) or Volts/meter (for electric field). 2D coordinates are typically measured in units of length, such as meters or centimeters. Coulomb's Law uses units of charge (such as Coulombs) and distance (such as meters or centimeters) to calculate the force between two charged objects.