Calculating Orbital Height for a Satellite Orbiting the Earth

In summary, the conversation is about determining the height at which an artificial satellite must orbit in order to remain in the same place relative to the Earth. The participants discuss using Kepler's Laws of Motion and the third law is determined to be the most applicable. They also mention the need to know the period, and eventually come up with a value of 6,380,000km for the distance from the Earth.
shad0w0f3vil
Hi there,

I received this question with regards to planetary (or in this case satellite) motion:

Determine at what height above the Earth an arteficial satellite must orbit if it is to remain in the same place relative to the Earth (Hint: Model the situation using Kepler's Laws of Motion).

I believe that both the second and third laws are not applicable for this question, meaing the first law should be used. I am just unsure of how to 'start' it off.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
The third law is the only one that matters. What is it? Why can't you use it?

I thought I didnt have enough information. For example I do not know the period

shad0w0f3vil said:
I thought I didnt have enough information. For example I do not know the period

If it remains in the same place relative to the earth, it must go around the Earth in the same time it takes the Earth to rotate. I.e. it's period must be 24 hours.

ok so how do i work out my distance from the Earth then? or do i work with respect to the sun?

Just that when I try it i end up with the average distance being equal to 0km, which obviously is not correct

hold that thought, I managed to get a different answer from 0. I got, 6,380,000km.

any ideas on this value?

shad0w0f3vil said:
hold that thought, I managed to get a different answer from 0. I got, 6,380,000km.

any ideas on this value?

Yes. They are both way wrong. Could you show us the equation you are using and the numbers you are plugging into it?

Hint: [tex]T^2=\frac{4\pi r^3}{GM}[/tex]

M is the mass of earth...

Related to Calculating Orbital Height for a Satellite Orbiting the Earth

1. What is a satellite?

A satellite is an object that is launched into space and orbits around a larger object, such as a planet or moon. It is usually man-made and used for various purposes, such as communication, navigation, and scientific research.

2. How does a satellite orbit around the Earth?

A satellite orbits around the Earth due to the force of gravity. The Earth's gravity pulls on the satellite, causing it to continuously fall towards the Earth. However, the satellite also has enough forward motion to counteract the pull of gravity, resulting in a circular or elliptical orbit around the Earth.

3. How high is a satellite orbiting the Earth?

The height of a satellite's orbit depends on its purpose. For example, a low-Earth orbit satellite used for communication may be around 1,200 km above the Earth's surface, while a geostationary satellite used for TV broadcasting is around 36,000 km above the equator.

4. How do satellites stay in orbit?

Satellites stay in orbit due to the balance between the Earth's gravity and the satellite's forward motion. The Earth's gravity pulls the satellite towards it, while the satellite's forward motion keeps it from falling to the Earth. Additionally, the satellite may use thrusters or adjust its position to maintain its orbit.

5. What happens to a satellite when it reaches the end of its life?

When a satellite reaches the end of its life, it may either be deactivated and remain in orbit, or it may be intentionally deorbited and allowed to re-enter the Earth's atmosphere. In some cases, the satellite may also be directed towards a designated "graveyard" orbit to avoid collisions with other active satellites.