Calculating Power Needed for Torque & Revolutions

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of power required for tightening a screw with varying torque values and the time it takes to complete the task. The formula for calculating power is P = Tω, where T is torque and ω is angular velocity. For average power, one can integrate the torque over the angle and divide by the total time. If the torque is not constant, numerical integration may be necessary. The conversation also touches on the relationship between torque, speed, and power, with torque being independent of speed and power being directly proportional to speed. The formula for power in this case is P = Fv, where F is force and v is velocity. Finally, if both torque and angular velocity are not constant, the maximum peak
uselesspotus

Homework Statement

Lets say I am tightening a screw and I have multiple torque values with their respective number of revolution. How should I go on about calculating the power required?

Also let's assume we know the time it takes to tighten the screw.

2. The attempt at a solution
I know Power = T*dθ/dt = Tω = 2*pi*n*T, where T = torque, ω = angular velocity, n = number of revolution/sec
Since the torque is not constant I am not sure how to approach this problem. Is there any other information i need in order to calculate the power?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi uselesspotus, Welcome to Physics Forums.

Power is measure of the rate at which energy is being delivered (Watts, or Joules per second). So either you want the instantaneous power at some instant in time, or perhaps the average power delivered over the entire operation.

If the former, then you have your P = Tω formula. If it's the average power you want then if you have the torque as a function of θ, T(θ), you can integrate the torque over the angle and divide by the total time.
$$P_{avg} = \frac{1}{\Delta t} \int_{\theta_i}^{\theta_f} T(\theta) d \theta$$

gneill said:
Hi uselesspotus, Welcome to Physics Forums.

Power is measure of the rate at which energy is being delivered (Watts, or Joules per second). So either you want the instantaneous power at some instant in time, or perhaps the average power delivered over the entire operation.

If the former, then you have your P = Tω formula. If it's the average power you want then if you have the torque as a function of θ, T(θ), you can integrate the torque over the angle and divide by the total time.
$$P_{avg} = \frac{1}{\Delta t} \int_{\theta_i}^{\theta_f} T(\theta) d \theta$$

Thnx I get it now. Also does torque depend on how fast you rotate something? I would think it does not since it only depends on force. For example, using a hand instead of a machine.

This means work would just be Work = Tff (assume initial torque was zero in previous power calculation) since work is ∫Pdt

Last edited:
uselesspotus said:
Thnx I get it now. Also does torque depend on how fast you rotate something? I would think it does not since it only depends on force. For example, using a hand instead of a machine.
Just look at how torque is calculated. No mention of speed in there. What it is that applies the force is irrelevant too.
This means work would just be Work = Tff (assume initial torque was zero in previous power calculation) since work is ∫Pdt
Sure, if the torque has a constant value for all values of θ.

gneill said:
Sure, if the torque has a constant value for all values of θ.
How would the equation change if the torque wasn't constant? Wouldn't the work still be, after integrating, W = P*tf-P*ti And because the initial time = 0 W = P*tf where P is Pavg (the equation u provided in earlier post)...I believe I am thinking of this wrong way.

Going back to the Pavg equation, I would have to do numerical integration if I just have the data set not the function itself right?

Last edited:
uselesspotus said:
How would the equation change if the torque wasn't constant? Wouldn't the work still be, after integrating, W = P*tf-P*ti And because the initial time = 0 W = P*tf where P is Pavg (the equation u provided in earlier post)...I believe I am thinking of this wrong way.

Going back to the Pavg equation, I would have to do numerical integration if I just have the data set not the function itself right?

If you have a data set with constant torque values that cover a number of revolutions each then you can break the problem up accordingly; Presumably you'll have time intervals to correspond with torques and angular displacements. On the other hand, if you have torque as some function of the angle then you can integrate symbolically and plug in the limits.

I'd have to ask why you need to know the power "required"? In any case, as mentioned, torque does not depend on speed or velocity of any kind, power does. For example, if you are twisting at constant torque and varying speed then the power will vary linearly with the rotational velocity.
power = work X time; work = force X distance; power = force X distance / time, power = force X (distance / time), so power = force X velocity

Power = torque * angular velocity

If neither torque or angular velocity are constant you need to plot a graph of the product and find where it's a maximum. That will give you the max peak power.

Related to Calculating Power Needed for Torque & Revolutions

1. What is the formula for calculating power needed for torque and revolutions?

The formula for calculating power needed for torque and revolutions is P = Tω, where P is power in watts, T is torque in newton-meters, and ω is angular velocity in radians per second.

2. How do you convert torque from foot-pounds to newton-meters?

To convert torque from foot-pounds to newton-meters, you can use the conversion factor 1 foot-pound = 1.3558 newton-meters. Simply multiply the torque in foot-pounds by 1.3558 to get the equivalent torque in newton-meters.

3. What is the relationship between torque and revolutions per minute (RPM)?

Torque and RPM have an inverse relationship. This means that as torque increases, RPM decreases and vice versa. This relationship is described by the formula T = k/RPM, where T is torque, k is a constant, and RPM is revolutions per minute.

4. How does power affect an object's ability to rotate?

Power is directly proportional to an object's ability to rotate. This means that the greater the power, the faster an object can rotate. This is because power is a measure of the rate at which work is done, and rotating an object requires doing work against its rotational inertia.

5. Can the power needed for torque and revolutions be calculated if the values are not known?

No, the power needed for torque and revolutions cannot be calculated if the values are not known. The formula P = Tω requires both torque and angular velocity to be known in order to calculate power. If either of these values is missing, the power cannot be accurately calculated.