Calculating Properties with ##S##, ##V##, and ##N##

• Thread starter Like Tony Stark
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Properties
In summary, to find the energetic representation, you need to differentiate the equation of state: ##T^2-P^2V^2-\mu N^2=-S^2##. To find the entropy, you need to calculate ##dA=-PdV-SdT-Nd\mu##. For the constant temperature process, you need to solve for ##\frac{\partial V}{\partial P}##. And for ##\alpha##, that looks good.
Like Tony Stark
Homework Statement
The fundamental equation of a gas is ##A=-aVT^{\frac{5}{2}} e^{\frac{\mu}{RT}}##. Determine ##\alpha##, ##\kappa_T## and ##c_P##, and then find the fundamental equation in energetic representation: ##U(S; V; N)##.
Relevant Equations
##U##: internal energy; ##T##: temperature; ##\mu##: chemical potential; ##R##: ideal gas constant; ##V##: volume; ##N##: number of moles; ##\alpha##: coefficient of thermal expansion; ##c_P##: heat capacity at constant pressure; ##\kappa_T##: compressibility at constant temperature.

##\alpha=\frac{1}{V} \frac{\partial V}{\partial T}##; ##c_P=\frac{T}{N} \frac{\partial S}{\partial T}## at constant ##P##; ##\kappa_T=\frac{–1}{V} \frac{\partial V}{\partial P}## at constant ##T##
Hi

All the expressions for calculating the properties are given in terms of ##S##, ##V## and ##N##. Should I find the energetic representation and then apply the formulas, or is there another way?

Then, for finding the energetic representation, I know that
##A=U–TS–\mu N##
But I want all these variables to be written in terms of ##S##, ##V## and ##N##. How can I do that? I also know that I can differentiate to obtain the equations of state, but these ones will be written in terms of ##T##, ##V## and ##\mu## too.

Physics news on Phys.org
Is this a stat mech class or a purely thermodynamics class? In other words, do you talk about the grand canonical ensemble at all? We just need a little more context to be helpful to you. :smile:

Edit: I thought the OP made a minus sign error, but I just read the OP's equation wrong. Deleted that correction from my post.

Last edited:
Twigg said:
Is this a stat mech class or a purely thermodynamics class? In other words, do you talk about the grand canonical ensemble at all? We just need a little more context to be helpful to you. :smile:

Edit: I thought the OP made a minus sign error, but I just read the OP's equation wrong. Deleted that correction from my post.
Hello! It's from a purely thermodynamics class. The reference book in my course is Callen's Thermodynamics.

For ##\alpha##:
The starting point is to remember that ##A = -PV##. In other words, ##V = -\frac{A}{P}##. You know that ##\alpha = \frac{1}{V} \frac{\partial V}{\partial T}## for constant P. To take this derivative, hold ##P## constant and only evaluate the derivative on ##A##. Does that make sense?

For ##c_p##:
You need to calculate the entropy S vs temperature T to use the expression you gave. Recall that ##dA = -PdV - SdT - Nd\mu##. So how do you find S from A? Hint: it's a derivative of the form ##\pm \frac{\partial A}{\partial X}## for some X and some sign (plus or minus).

For ##\kappa_T##:
Start with ##dA = -PdV - SdT - Nd\mu## and set ##dT \rightarrow 0## since you're interested in a constant temperature process. Divide through by ##dP## and make some substitutions to solve for ##\frac{\partial V}{\partial P}##.

These kinds of problems really just rely on careful attention to detail and creativity. You'll find there's a lot of ways to derive ##V=V## doing these. Just be patient, and try different things. As a general procedure, notice that you can get a lot done by starting with ##dA = -PdV - SdT - Nd\mu## and making the right substitutions to solve for some partial derivative or another.

Let us know if the last part is still unclear to you after working these properties out. (And no sweat if it is! These kind of algebra problems can be a pain.)

Thanks for your answer!
Let's see if I've understood...
So, for ##\alpha## I have to calculate ## \frac{\partial V}{\partial T}=\frac{\partial}{\partial T}##
##\frac{-aVT^{5/2}e^{\frac{\mu}{RT}}}{P}##, for constant ##P##

Then, for ##c_P##, I have to calculate ##\frac{\partial^2 A}{\partial T^2}## for constant ##P##; and for ##\kappa_T## I have ##\frac{\partial A}{\partial P} + N \frac{\partial \mu}{\partial P}=-P \frac{\partial V}{\partial P}##, for constant ##T##

For ##\alpha## that looks good

For ##c_p##, yep!

And for ##\kappa_T## yep that looks good. There might be a cleaner way out there but that's the first step of what I got.

What are the three variables used in calculating properties with S, V, and N?

The three variables used in calculating properties with S, V, and N are entropy (S), volume (V), and number of particles (N).

What is the equation for calculating a property using S, V, and N?

The equation for calculating a property using S, V, and N is: P = f(S,V,N), where P represents the desired property and f is a function that depends on the specific system being studied.

How do changes in S, V, and N affect the calculated property?

Changes in S, V, and N can affect the calculated property in different ways, depending on the specific system and the property being studied. For example, increasing the volume while keeping the number of particles constant may result in a decrease in pressure, while increasing the number of particles while keeping the volume constant may result in an increase in pressure.

Can properties be calculated using only two of the three variables (S, V, and N)?

In most cases, properties cannot be accurately calculated using only two of the three variables. All three variables are needed to fully describe the state of a system and to accurately calculate its properties.

What are some common properties that can be calculated using S, V, and N?

Some common properties that can be calculated using S, V, and N include pressure, temperature, internal energy, enthalpy, and Gibbs free energy. These properties are important for understanding the behavior of gases, liquids, and solids, as well as chemical reactions and phase transitions.