Calculating Speed of a Snowball Thrown Horizontally

• Thread starter dani123
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Speed
In summary, a snowball is thrown horizontally from a 14.0m high building and lands 22.0m from the base of the building. By using the equations dh= Vh * Δt and dv= 1/2 * at2, with g=9.8m/s, the time (t) was found to be 1.7 seconds and the velocity (Vh) to be 13.0 m/s. These calculations are correct and can be further simplified for a more impressive solution.
dani123

Homework Statement

A snowball which is thrown horizontally from the top of a building that is 14.0m high lands 22.0m from the base of the building. How fast was the snowball traveling when it was thrown from the building?

Homework Equations

dh= Vh * Δt
dv= 1/2 * at2
g=9.8m/s

The Attempt at a Solution

So I started off by finding the time by solving for t in the dv equation given above. I found that t=1.7seconds

I then took that value and plugged it into the dh equation to solve for the velocity with respect to the horizontal. And I also replaced dh=22.0m from what the problem gives us.

Vh= 13.0 m/s which is our answer we are looking for!

I am posting this question just to ask if anyone would be able to verify my work and that the significant figures are respected! Thanks so much in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
yep, you got it all correct. pretty neat, too (which will make the teacher happy). To make the teacher more impressed, you could have arranged the equations so that you only have to do one calculation at the end of the problem, without explicitly calculating t. But doing it your way was fine too.

Thank you!

1. How do you calculate the speed of a snowball thrown horizontally?

To calculate the speed of a snowball thrown horizontally, you will need to measure the distance the snowball travels and the time it takes to travel that distance. Then, divide the distance by the time to get the speed in meters per second (m/s).

2. What is the formula for calculating speed?

The formula for calculating speed is speed = distance / time. This means that the speed is equal to the distance traveled divided by the time it takes to travel that distance.

3. How do you measure the distance a snowball travels?

To measure the distance a snowball travels, you can use a tape measure or ruler to measure the distance from where the snowball was thrown to where it landed. Make sure to measure in a straight line and in the same units as the time measurement.

4. How do you measure the time it takes a snowball to travel?

You can measure the time it takes for a snowball to travel by using a stopwatch or a timer. Start the timer when you throw the snowball and stop it when the snowball reaches its destination. Make sure to measure in seconds for the most accurate calculation.

5. Can the speed of a snowball thrown horizontally change?

Yes, the speed of a snowball thrown horizontally can change. The speed can change depending on the force applied to the snowball, the weight of the snowball, and the surface it is traveling on. Other factors such as wind and air resistance can also affect the speed of a snowball.