Calculating Standard Error of Mean with Significant Figures

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the standard error of the mean in a physics lab, with a sample size of 29 and a standard deviation of 0.04021. The question is whether the standard error of the mean should have four or two significant figures, taking into account the number of significant figures in the sample size. The conclusion is that since the sample size is error-free, it should be treated as having an infinite number of significant figures, and the standard error of the mean should be reported with four significant figures.
emeraldskye177

Homework Statement

In a physics lab, Logger Pro software generated statistical estimators such as the standard deviation σ = 0.04021 of a sample of size n = 29.

Among other things, I must calculate the standard error of the mean σmean.

My question is: Must σmean have four sig figs or two (i.e., do I account for the number of sig figs in the sample size, even though n has no error associated with it)?

Homework Equations

σmean = σ/sqrt(n)

where σ is the standard deviation of the distribution and n is the sample size.

The Attempt at a Solution

σmean = σ/sqrt(n) = 0.04021/sqrt(29) = 0.007467 or 0.0075?

Physics news on Phys.org
*edit* I misread your initial question...sorry.
Since your sample size is error free, you can consider that as an infinite number of sig. figs. and keep 4.

Significant figures is easiest to understand in scientific notation.
If you write it as 7.467 x 10^(-3), it is clear that this version has 4 significant figures.

Presumably the count is accurate and must be an exact integer. It should be treated as though it has infinite precision.

Thanks all. In my lab report, I did it the correct way (i.e., reported the answer to 4 sig figs), but the TA docked me marks with the comment "sig figs", so I will have to take this up with the lab coordinator. Thanks again for your answers.

emeraldskye177 said:
In a physics lab, Logger Pro software generated statistical estimators such as the standard deviation σ = 0.04021 of a sample of size n = 29.
What was the number of significant digits in the data for which these σ were calculated?

What is the formula for calculating standard error of mean?

The formula for calculating standard error of mean is: SE = s / √n, where s is the standard deviation and n is the sample size.

Why is it important to use significant figures when calculating standard error of mean?

Using significant figures is important because it allows for a more accurate representation of the calculated value. It also helps to maintain consistency and precision in reporting results.

How do I determine the number of significant figures to use when calculating standard error of mean?

The number of significant figures to use when calculating standard error of mean should match the number of significant figures in the original data. If the data has been rounded, then the standard error of mean should also be rounded to the same number of significant figures.

Can standard error of mean be negative?

No, standard error of mean cannot be negative. It is a measure of variability and is always a positive value.

How can I interpret the standard error of mean?

The standard error of mean represents the average amount of error between the sample mean and the true population mean. It can be used to determine the precision of the sample mean and to compare means from different samples.