Calculating Stresses and Principal Stresses on a Shaft: Homework Solution

• Thread starter mikex24
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Complex
In summary: Try searching online for "stress transformation equations" or "stress transformation calculator".I don't have a mechanics of materials textbook handy, but they generally cover all the stress transformation equations. Try searching online for "stress transformation equations" or "stress transformation calculator".In summary, the problem involves a shaft with a diameter of 0.3m that needs to withstand an axial thrust of 500KN and a torque of 250KNm. The magnitudes of the direct and shear stresses at a point on the surface need to be determined using the torsion theory and stress transformation equations. The principal stresses and maximum shear stress at that point also need to be found, along with the angle that the maximum principal stress makes with the shaft axis. Other
mikex24

Homework Statement

Shaft of diameter 0.3m, has to withstand an estimated axial thrust (compressive load) of 500KN and a torque of 250KNm.
i) Find the magnitudes of the direct and shear stresses at a point on surface.
ii) Determine the principal stresses and the maximum shear stress at that point, and the angle that maximum principal stress makes with the shaft axis(using standard formula for stress transformation).

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know if the way i try to solve it was the right, so i am waiting to tell me if i am wrong to something.

For the i)
Shear stress:
I use the tosrion theory: τ=(TR)/J= (250000*0.3)/((π*0,15^4)/2)= 94MN/m^2

Direct stress:

σ (direct)= LOAD/AREA= -500000/(π*0,1^2)= -15,91MN/m^2

For the ii)

I use the σ (1,2) equation and i found the principal stresses.

Is that the right way or i am doing something wrong. There are also another 3 questions for this including tresca yield critirion and von mises tield critirion, and i will try to solve them. If anyone can help me i will appreciate it. Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
I haven't checked your numbers, but your approach looks pretty good. (Check your torsion radius, though.)

Mapes said:
I haven't checked your numbers, but your approach looks pretty good. (Check your torsion radius, though.)

Thank you mapes for the reply. I am trying to find the angle of maximum principal stress with the shaft axis but i can't. Can you help me on this?

What have you tried so far, using either stress transformation equations or Mohr's circle?

Mapes said:
What have you tried so far, using either stress transformation equations or Mohr's circle?

I have to find those information to construct the Mohr's circle repressenting the stresses acting at the point and also to verify my results obtained above. I think that i have to use other way than the mohrs cicle to find them. So i try τ= 1/2 * (σ1-σ2) to find the max shear stress. I also find an equation to find the angle which is tanθ= (σp-σx)/ τxy but i am not sure.

Check these equations. The first is for principal stresses, but you're not in a principal stress state. The second looks off.

Mapes said:
Check these equations. The first is for principal stresses, but you're not in a principal stress state. The second looks off.

Is there other equation for the angle without using the mohr's circle to find the angle? Thanks

I don't have a mechanics of materials textbook handy, but they generally cover all the stress transformation equations.

1. How do you calculate stresses on a shaft?

To calculate stresses on a shaft, you need to use the formula for stress, which is force divided by area. In this case, the force would be the applied load on the shaft, and the area would be the cross-sectional area of the shaft.

2. What is the formula for calculating principal stresses on a shaft?

The formula for calculating principal stresses on a shaft is σp = (σx + σy)/2 ± √((σx - σy)/2)^2 + τxy^2), where σp is the principal stress, σx and σy are the normal stresses, and τxy is the shear stress.

3. How do you determine the maximum shear stress on a shaft?

The maximum shear stress on a shaft can be determined by finding the maximum shear stress plane, which is perpendicular to the principal stress plane. The maximum shear stress will be equal to half the difference between the two principal stresses on that plane.

4. What factors can affect the stresses on a shaft?

There are several factors that can affect the stresses on a shaft, including the applied load, the geometry of the shaft, and the material properties of the shaft. Other factors such as temperature, corrosion, and fatigue can also affect the stresses on a shaft.

5. How can you ensure the safety of a shaft under different loading conditions?

To ensure the safety of a shaft under different loading conditions, it is important to calculate and analyze the stresses on the shaft, and compare them to the maximum allowable stresses for the material. If the calculated stresses are lower than the maximum allowable stresses, the shaft should be safe under those loading conditions.