Calculating Surface Area on a Bounded Tetrahedron Plane

In summary, the domain is a tetrahedron bounded by the planes x = 0, y = 0, z = 0 and x + y + z = 1. The volume of the domain and the x-coordinate of the centre-of-mass of the domain are calculated. Find the vector R from the origin to a point on the plane x + y + z = 1. Find the (vectorial) element of surface area dS on that plane, in terms of x, y, dx and dy.
adichy

Homework Statement

4. The domain D is a tetrahedron bounded by the planes x = 0, y = 0, z = 0 and
x + y + z = 1 Calculate
(a) The volume of the domain.
(b) The x-coordinate of the centre-of-mass of the domain, assuming constant density.
(c) Find, in terms of x and y the vector R from the origin to a point on the plane
x + y + z = 1.
(d) Find the (vectorial) element of surface area dS on that plane, in terms of x, y, dx
and dy.
(e) Hence calculate the area of the portion of that plane on the surface of the domain
D

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

ive done a, b, and c and I am looking for some direction for solving d and e...not looking for the answer here but what exactly is the question asking me to do and what's the general method of solving them...thx for ur help

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If you have a surface parameterized as

[tex]\vec R(u,v) = \langle x(u,v),y(u,v),z(u,v)\rangle[/tex]

the vector element of surface area is

[tex]d\vec S = \vec R_u \times \vec R_v\ dudv[/tex]

In your example, you might use x and y as the parameters.

little confused, what does u and v represent :|, not sure what I am meant to be crossing

for c all i did was subtract the origin from a general point on the plane (x, y, 1-x-y)...is that wrong?

adichy said:
little confused, what does u and v represent :|, not sure what I am meant to be crossing

for c all i did was subtract the origin from a general point on the plane (x, y, 1-x-y)...is that wrong?

No, not wrong. That is your R(x,y), using x and y as your parameters. Calculate Rx X Ry.

so i find δR/δx and δR/δY put them in a matrix then find the determinant ...

i got (i + j + k )dxdy

Last edited:
adichy said:
so i find δR/δx and δR/δY put them in a matrix then find the determinant ...

i got (i + j + k )dxdy

Rx X Ry is <1 ,1 ,1> as you have calculated. In calculating surface area you would calculate

[tex]\iint_A |\vec R_x \times \vec R_y|\, dxdy[/tex]

where A is the area domain in terms of your x-y integration.

um srry this mite b a really stupid question but how do u go about intergrating i + j + k or <1 ,1 ,1>, wudnt i hafta dot it with some vector :|

edit: jus realized there's a modulus >_<

i got the final answer to be [tex]\sqrt{3}[/tex][tex]/2[/tex]

Last edited:
LCKurtz said:
Rx X Ry is <1 ,1 ,1> as you have calculated. In calculating surface area you would calculate

[tex]\iint_A |\vec R_x \times \vec R_y|\, dxdy[/tex]

where A is the area domain in terms of your x-y integration.

adichy said:
um srry this mite b a really stupid question but how do u go about intergrating i + j + k or <1 ,1 ,1>, wudnt i hafta dot it with some vector :|

Please note that forum rules prohibit "baby-talk" text like um srry mite u wudnt hafta.

Notice the absolute value signs in the above formula. You need the length of that vector, which is a scalar.

The other common type of integral that use the "area vector" is a flux integral, where you are given a vector field and which in your example would have a formula like:

[tex]\iint_S \vec F\cdot d\vec R = \iint_S \vec F\cdot \vec R_x \times \vec R_y\, dxdy[/tex]

In either case the integrand is a scalar.

noted: no more baby talk...can slip out sometimes unawares

Thanks for the help, much appreciated

Last edited:

Related to Calculating Surface Area on a Bounded Tetrahedron Plane

1. What is surface area?

Surface area is the measure of the total area that the surface of an object occupies. It is the sum of all the areas of the individual faces or surfaces of an object.

2. How is surface area different from volume?

Volume is the measure of the amount of space an object occupies, while surface area is the measure of the total area of the surface of an object. In simpler terms, volume is the amount of stuff inside an object, and surface area is the amount of stuff on the outside of an object.

3. Why is surface area important in science?

Surface area is important in science because it helps us to understand how much of a substance is exposed to its surroundings and how it interacts with other substances. It also plays a crucial role in many chemical and physical processes, such as heat transfer, dissolution, and gas exchange.

4. How do you calculate the surface area of a plane?

The surface area of a plane can be calculated by finding the sum of the areas of all the individual faces or surfaces. For example, the surface area of a rectangular plane can be calculated by multiplying the length by the width of the plane. If the plane is irregularly shaped, it can be broken down into smaller, simpler shapes whose surface areas can be calculated and then added together.

5. Why is it important to know the surface area of a plane?

Knowing the surface area of a plane is important for many reasons. It helps us to determine how much material is needed to cover or coat a plane, which can be useful in construction or manufacturing. It also allows us to understand the relationship between surface area and other properties, such as volume and density, and how changes in surface area can affect the behavior of a plane.