Calculating Surface Density of the Universe Using the Shell Model

In summary, the conversation discusses the Friedmann equations derived from kinetic and potential energy conservation, and the use of the shell model for the universe. The conversation also explores the concept of a shell as a surface of a sphere and its mass, and questions whether it has a density and how it can be calculated. The concept of a hypersphere in higher dimensions is also briefly mentioned. The conversation concludes by discussing the use of the Hubble parameters to calculate the surface density of the universe.
Quarlep
You know friedmann equations derived from kinetic energy and potantial energy conservation.I found these shell model for universe.Here I am curious about something. This shell is like a surface of sphere isn't it.I mean it has only surface and that surface mass is m.And we made our equations based on that surface.
Is that shell has a density ? How can we calculatei it ?
I made like this m/4πr2surface

You can look attachment

Attachments

• Snapshot.jpg
    Snapshot.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 470
Space news on Phys.org
The ordinary sphere, denoted S2 is surface of the 3d-solid ball. You have the area formula there. What about the hypersphere?
Analogous to 2d area, there should be a formula for the 3d volume of the surface of a 4d ball.

Wikiped has an article on areas and volumes of spheres in higher dimensions. I don't recall what they call it.

I do recall that the 3d volume of S3 of radius R is 2π2R3

Last edited:
Quarlep said:
You know friedmann equations derived from kinetic energy and potantial energy conservation.

No it is not. There is a cheap trick often used to heuristically argue this to undergraduate students, but the Friedman equation is only consistently derived in GR with the assumption of a homogeneous and isotropic universe. Misconceptions arising from this trick are generally severe, which is why I would typically argue against using it even for plausibility.

Likes George Jones
marcus said:
The ordinary sphere, denoted S2 is surface of the 3d-solid ball. You have the area formula there. What about the hypersphere?
Analogous to 2d area, there should be a formula for the 3d volume of the surface of a 4d ball.

Wikiped has an article on areas and volumes of spheres in higher dimensions. I don't recall what they call it.

I do recall that the 3d volume of S3 of radius R is 2π2R3
Are you talking about 4d shells ? I suppose In friedmann eq shell is a 3d sphere and it has a surface 4πr2

Last edited:
Quarlep said:
you understand me wrong I guess I am talking about sphere surface and its equal 4πr2 ordinary sphere no special case.Are you talking about 4d shells ? I suppose In friedmann eq shell is a 3d sphere and it has a surface 4πr2

Our posts crossed. I did not see yours. OK I misunderstood what you were asking about.
My post here is not relevant to your question and you can ignore it. But I will leave it in case it might help someone else understand the Friedmann equation positive curvature (finite S3 spatial volume) case.

We don't know that higher dimensions actually exist, may just be abstract conceptual tools we use, not physical.

The 4d "solid ball" may not be real, maybe only the 3d surface. But that might actually be the 3d space we live in. It is a possibility.

We do not know that the U is spatially finite. But that is one possible CASE. Let's consider that case. Suppose it is finite and suppose it is an S3 hypersphere, with abstract radius of curvature R (at this time).

Then the spatial volume at this time is 2π2R3 or about 20 R3

The radius of curvature can be estimated and a lower bound is estimated about 100 billion LY. At present.

If you cube that, you get 1000000 billion billion billion cubic light years. Then you multiply by 20. That is a very rough LOWER bound.
Observations show the curvature is so small that the radius of curvature must be ABOVE 100 billion LY. but we don't have an upper bound estimate, so far.

The average density is estimated differently, without working with total mass and total volume. One infer it by observing how the Hubble rate is changing. Because density affects both spatial curvature and the change over time of the H(T). If spatial curvature is very small, which it is, one can attribute all the change in H(T) to the density and write a simple equation (derived from Einstein GR equation) which allows to calculate the density just from looking at how H(T) is behaving.

Last edited:
marcus said:
Because density affects both spatial curvature and the change over time of the H(T). If spatial curvature is very small, which it is, one can attribute all the change in H(T) to the density and write a simple equation (derived from Einstein GR equation) which allows to calculate the density just from looking at how H(T) is behaving.
I am talking about surface density.Here I understand that change in H(t) affects universe density but I am looking surface I didnt understand

Quarlep said:
You know friedmann equations derived from kinetic energy and potantial energy conservation.I found these shell model for universe.Here I am curious about something. This shell is like a surface of sphere isn't it.I mean it has only surface and that surface mass is m.And we made our equations based on that surface.
I made like this m/4πr2surface

You can look attachment

Yes, you can use the shell model and derive results that are useful - generally for a surface density engineers use the symbol sigma. And here is a really interesting fact if you use the Hubble parameters which are built into the Friedman equations. Taking the estimate of Hubble mass in the range of 1.5 x 10^53 kgm and the Hubble radius as 1.1 x 10^26 meters, the Hubble surface density is one kgm per square meter.

Thanks that's really help me
yogi said:
Yes, you can use the shell model and derive results that are useful - generally for a surface density engineers use the symbol sigma. And here is a really interesting fact if you use the Hubble parameters which are built into the Friedman equations. Taking the estimate of Hubble mass in the range of 1.5 x 10^53 kgm and the Hubble radius as 1.1 x 10^26 meters, the Hubble surface density is one kgm per square meter.

1. What is the Model for Friedmann Equations?

The Model for Friedmann Equations is a mathematical description of the expansion of the universe. It is based on Einstein's theory of general relativity and includes parameters such as the density of matter and energy in the universe.

2. How does the Model for Friedmann Equations work?

The Model for Friedmann Equations uses a set of differential equations to describe how the universe evolves over time. These equations take into account the effects of matter, radiation, and dark energy on the expansion of the universe.

3. What is the significance of the Model for Friedmann Equations?

The Model for Friedmann Equations is significant because it helps us understand the origin and evolution of the universe. It has been able to accurately predict the expansion rate of the universe and has provided evidence for the existence of dark energy.

4. How is the Model for Friedmann Equations tested?

The Model for Friedmann Equations is tested by comparing its predictions to observations of the universe, such as the cosmic microwave background radiation and the distribution of galaxies. If the predictions match the observations, then the model is considered valid.

5. Are there any limitations to the Model for Friedmann Equations?

While the Model for Friedmann Equations has been successful in describing the overall behavior of the universe, it does have limitations. It does not account for the effects of gravity on a small scale, such as within galaxies, and it does not explain the origin of the universe or the nature of dark energy. Scientists continue to study and refine the model to address these limitations.