Referance Frame Calculating Newtonian Friedmann Equation

In summary: Newtonian gravity also doesn't admit dark energy (since there is no way to make a repulsive version of gravity in Newtonian mechanics).So, the Newtonian approach is a useful way to get a basic understanding of how the Friedmann equations work, but it's not complete or rigorous. The full derivation requires the use of General Relativity, which is a major extension of Newtonian gravity.In summary, the conversation discusses the Friedmann equations and their use in modeling the universe. It is mentioned that the equations do not include potential energy and that the CMB is everywhere in the universe. The conversation also touches on the
Quarlep
In friedmann equation we start to make a model
kinetic energy-potantial energy=U
kinetic energy depends observer and referance frame so what's the referance frame and observer in this calculation.
Thanks

Space news on Phys.org
The class of observers which are at CMB rest.
(Older term was observers "comoving with the Hubble flow", or isotropic ones----who see the universe as on average the same in all directions.)

Quarlep said:
In friedmann equation we start to make a model
kinetic energy-potantial energy=U
kinetic energy depends observer and referance frame so what's the referance frame and observer in this calculation.
Thanks
The Friedmann equations don't make use of potential energy. Where did you get this from?

MmG/R

Is CMB is the edge of the universe ? We cannot see beyond it.So I will think a universe (infinite or finite). Inside the universe we have a sphere which shpere shell is CMB and the observer in the CMB looks the universe.Then he makes this Newtonian equation.

Quarlep said:
MmG/R

This equation is not valid for the universe as a whole; it's only valid for an isolated gravitating body. As Chalnoth said, there is no potential energy in the Friedmann equations.

Quarlep said:
Is CMB is the edge of the universe ?

No. The CMB is everywhere in the universe. If you mean the "surface of last scattering", the spacelike surface at which the CMB was emitted, that is in the past; it's not an "edge" of anything.

In fact, General Relativity, as it's usually formulated, doesn't include potential energy at all. This is because it's not actually possible to define a total energy in General Relativity that works in all cases.

There are, to be fair, some ways of writing down General Relativity that make use of a total energy, but those only work for special cases.

PeterDonis said:
No. The CMB is everywhere in the universe. If you mean the "surface of last scattering", the spacelike surface at which the CMB was emitted, that is in the past; it's not an "edge" of anything.
To elaborate on this a little bit, the surface of last scattering is a surface in time (this is what PeterDonis means by spacelike). Before that time, the universe was opaque, so we can't see anything that happened before (directly, anyway: we can see the imprint of previous events on the CMB itself). This only represents a distance because the further away we look, the further in the past we look. The amount of distance to the currently-visible portion of the surface of last scattering changes over time.

PeterDonis said:
This equation is not valid for the universe as a whole; it's only valid for an isolated gravitating body. As Chalnoth said, there is no potential energy in the Friedmann equations.

But it the simple friedmann equation starts with that

1/2mv2-MmG/R=U
v2-8ρπGR2/3=-kc2
H2R2-8ρπGR2/3=-kc2
H2-8ρπG/3=-kc2/R2
Friedmann equation

Chalnoth said:
To elaborate on this a little bit, the surface of last scattering is a surface in time (this is what PeterDonis means by spacelike). Before that time, the universe was opaque, so we can't see anything that happened before (directly, anyway: we can see the imprint of previous events on the CMB itself). This only represents a distance because the further away we look, the further in the past we look. The amount of distance to the currently-visible portion of the surface of last scattering changes over time.

I understand this idea.
I asked about referance frame. Can we change referance frame ? I mean CMB is the only solution ?

Quarlep said:
But it the simple friedmann equation starts with that

1/2mv2-MmG/R=U
v2-8ρπGR2/3=-kc2
H2R2-8ρπGR2/3=-kc2
H2-8ρπG/3=-kc2/R2
Friedmann equation
Where did you get this from? It doesn't conform to any derivation of the Friedmann equations I'm aware of.

Also, you can make equations look a lot better on these forums by using LaTeX equations:
https://www.physicsforums.com/help/latexhelp/

Quarlep said:
I understand this idea.
I asked about referance frame. Can we change referance frame ? I mean CMB is the only solution ?
It's always possible to change the reference frame. The CMB is just one choice. It's convenient because it makes the equations simple when talking about the behavior of our universe on large scales.

Chalnoth said:
Where did you get this from? It doesn't conform to any derivation of the Friedmann equations I'm aware of.

Start watching 54:40 and in 55:30 you will see my equation

Chalnoth said:
It's always possible to change the reference frame. The CMB is just one choice. It's convenient because it makes the equations simple when talking about the behavior of our universe on large scales.

Thank for this also

I see. He's using a Newtonian approximation to derive the first Friedmann equation assuming nothing but matter makes up the universe. It is interesting that the answer in this case is identical to the answer given by General Relativity.

The full derivation using General Relativity doesn't make use of any potential energy in the equation, and it provides the right answer for a universe with matter, radiation, and dark energy. The way he went through this Newtonian approximation can be useful for getting a basic idea of how this works, just bear in mind is only a partial answer, and not at all how these equations were derived originally.

Ok I will keep in my mind

Is Newtonian approach enough to make correct assuptions about universe ?

Quarlep said:
Is Newtonian approach enough to make correct assuptions about universe ?
Sort of. The primary problem here is radiation: Newtonian gravity doesn't give the right answer for how radiation interacts with gravity (it underestimates how much radiation responds to gravity by a factor of two).

You can still get the right answer using purely-Newtonian arguments, but the problem is that there are also ways to get the wrong answer.

Straight Newtonian gravity also doesn't include a cosmological constant, but it's not too hard to modify Newtonian gravity to include a cosmological constant: the cosmological constant adds a repulsive acceleration between two masses that is proportional to their distance.

The way to get the right answer using Newtonian arguments, by the way, is to take the first Friedmann equation as derived in that video as correct, and consider ##\rho## to work for energy density as well as mass density (just with a difference of ##c^2## for a unit conversion factor). Then, to get how the energy density changes with time, use the pressure of the fluid under consideration:

Imagine an expanding box with walls, and the pressure of the stuff inside that box puts a force on those walls. As the box expands, the radiation inside the box is pushing in the direction of expansion, which does work. By energy conservation, we know that the work performed on the walls of this hypothetical box must come from the fluid, so the fluid loses energy as a result of this pressure. Working through the equations with radiation gives you that the energy density of radiation scales as ##1/a^4##. Working through the equations with a cosmological constant (which has pressure equal to minus its energy density), and you correctly get that the energy density stays the same.

Later in lectures 3 and 4 he made that too.In Cosmology lecture 4 (2009) 1:10:00 times he wrotes that things and how he derives.Thing is radiation dominant matter dominat and later cosmological constant.I don't know GR so I don't know derive friedmann equatuon use GR.Thats why asked that question.I am working on cosmolgy.If I made ##\rho## to ##\rho_m+\rho_r+\rho_d##
m matter ,r radiation,d dark energy.
And keep other things same I get same eq I guess isn't it ?

Quarlep said:
Later in lectures 3 and 4 he made that too.In Cosmology lecture 4 (2009) 1:10:00 times he wrotes that things and how he derives.Thing is radiation dominant matter dominat and later cosmological constant.I don't know GR so I don't know derive friedmann equatuon use GR.Thats why asked that question.I am working on cosmolgy.If I made ##\rho## to ##\rho_m+\rho_r+\rho_d##
m matter ,r radiation,d dark energy.
And keep other things same I get same eq I guess isn't it ?
I'm not entirely sure I understand you, but I think so. First, the first Friedmann equation:

[tex]H^2(t) = {8 \pi G \over 3}\rho(t) - {k \over a^2}[/tex]

We can rewrite this as:

[tex]H^2(t) = {8 \pi G \over 3}\left(\rho_m(t) + \rho_r(t) + \rho_d(t)\right) - {k \over a^2(t)}[/tex]

Then it's possible to make use of stress-energy conservation (in General Relativity) or energy conservation with the hypothetical expanding box (if using the Newtonian approximation) to see how each parameter changes over time.

[tex]\rho_m(t) = {\rho_{m0} \over a^3(t)}[/tex]
[tex]\rho_r(t) = {\rho_{m0} \over a^4(t)}[/tex]
[tex]\rho_e(t) = \rho_{e0}[/tex]

The last equation assumes that the dark energy is a cosmological constant (the simplest possibility).

Likes Quarlep
Chalnoth said:
I'm not entirely sure I understand you, but I think so. First, the first Friedmann equation:

[tex]H^2(t) = {8 \pi G \over 3}\rho(t) - {k \over a^2}[/tex]

We can rewrite this as:

[tex]H^2(t) = {8 \pi G \over 3}\left(\rho_m(t) + \rho_r(t) + \rho_d(t)\right) - {k \over a^2(t)}[/tex]

Then it's possible to make use of stress-energy conservation (in General Relativity) or energy conservation with the hypothetical expanding box (if using the Newtonian approximation) to see how each parameter changes over time.

[tex]\rho_m(t) = {\rho_{m0} \over a^3(t)}[/tex]
[tex]\rho_r(t) = {\rho_{m0} \over a^4(t)}[/tex]
[tex]\rho_e(t) = \rho_{e0}[/tex]

The last equation assumes that the dark energy is a cosmological constant (the simplest possibility).
I was talking about this idea.If I want a write a Friedmann equation without cosmlogical constant I will just remove ##\rho_d## isn't it.

Quarlep said:
I was talking about this idea.If I want a write a Friedmann equation without cosmlogical constant I will just remove ##\rho_d## isn't it.
Correct.

Likes Quarlep
Thanks

1. What is a reference frame in physics?

A reference frame in physics is a coordinate system used to describe the position and motion of objects in space. It is used as a point of reference to measure and analyze the physical properties and behavior of objects.

2. How is the reference frame used in calculating the Newtonian Friedmann equation?

In calculating the Newtonian Friedmann equation, a reference frame is used to define the coordinates of the observer and the objects being observed. This allows for the calculation of the distances and velocities of objects in relation to the observer, which are used in the equation to determine the expansion rate and curvature of the universe.

3. What is the importance of using a reference frame in the Newtonian Friedmann equation?

The use of a reference frame in the Newtonian Friedmann equation is crucial as it allows for the calculation of the expansion and curvature of the universe from an observer's perspective. Without a reference frame, the equation cannot be accurately applied to real-world observations and measurements.

4. Can different reference frames affect the results of the Newtonian Friedmann equation?

Yes, different reference frames can affect the results of the Newtonian Friedmann equation. This is because the expansion and curvature of the universe can appear differently depending on the perspective of the observer. Therefore, using different reference frames can lead to different calculations and interpretations of the equation.

5. How does the reference frame change in the general relativity version of the Friedmann equation?

In the general relativity version of the Friedmann equation, the reference frame is no longer fixed and can be freely chosen by the observer. This allows for a more accurate and flexible calculation of the expansion and curvature of the universe, taking into account the effects of gravity and the curvature of space-time.