Calculating the current through this load resistor

In summary, the conversation is discussing a problem with calculating the current using Ohm's law in a circuit with a voltage source and resistors. One person has drawn a setup and calculated the equivalent resistance of the parallel connected resistors, but is unsure of the next step. Another person suggests simplifying the setup by drawing the voltage source in series with its internal resistance and the load resistor. This would make it easier to calculate the current using Ohm's law. The conversation ends with a calculation of the total resistance and the resulting current.
Bolter
Homework Statement
Find current flowing in load resistor
Relevant Equations
V=IR
Hi everyone

950347CA-A9A0-46A8-BAE8-F5B65BB3DDC8.jpeg

I have drawn what I think what the setup should look like, and worked out the equivalent resistance of the parallel connected resistors

15E10EFB-91AA-455F-A6AA-D8371C3D433F.jpeg

Not so sure where to go next with this problem?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think you might have overcomplicated the setup slightly. The voltage source can be drawn in series with its internal resistance, and the two ends of this arrangement connect to the load resistor. Then it should be straightforward to calculate the current using Ohm's law.

etotheipi said:
I think you might have overcomplicated the setup slightly. The voltage source can be drawn in series with its internal resistance, and the two ends of this arrangement connect to the load resistor. Then it should be straightforward to calculate the current using Ohm's law.

If so then then I have 2 resistors in series in the circuit. So the total resistance becomes 500,000 ohms + 4,000,000 ohms = 4,500,000 ohms

Giving I = V/R = 1800/4,500,000 = 0.0004 A or 0.4 mA?

1. How do you calculate the current through a load resistor?

To calculate the current through a load resistor, you need to use Ohm's Law, which states that current (I) is equal to the voltage (V) divided by the resistance (R). So the formula for calculating current is I = V/R.

2. What units are used to measure current?

The unit for current is ampere (A), which is a measure of the amount of electric charge passing through a point in one second. It is also sometimes referred to as "amps" for short.

3. Can the current through a load resistor ever be negative?

No, current is always a positive value. It represents the direction of flow of electric charge. If the current is flowing in the opposite direction, it is simply given a negative sign in the calculations.

4. How does the resistance of a load resistor affect the current?

The higher the resistance of a load resistor, the lower the current will be, according to Ohm's Law. This means that a higher resistance will impede the flow of current, while a lower resistance will allow more current to flow through.

5. What happens to the current through a load resistor if the voltage changes?

According to Ohm's Law, if the voltage (V) increases, the current (I) will also increase, given a constant resistance (R). Similarly, if the voltage decreases, the current will also decrease. This shows the direct relationship between voltage and current.