Calculating the Distance of a Sonar Echo

• Thread starter rootdawg56
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Echo
In summary, the sonar echo returning to the submarine after 1.10 seconds can be used to calculate the distance to the object creating the echo using the equation rate X time = distance. With a speed of sound of 1533m/s, the distance can be estimated to be 744.165m, although this answer may have varying levels of accuracy depending on other factors such as depth, temperature, and salinity.
rootdawg56

Homework Statement

A sonar echo returns to a submarine 1.10s after being emitted. What is the distance to the object creating the echo?

Homework Equations

rate X time = distance

The Attempt at a Solution

( 1533m/s X 1.01s) divided by 2 = distance

Physics news on Phys.org
It looks like you're on the right track. What answer did you get?

So what is your question?

The answer I came up with 744.165m

I take it the 1533 m/s is the speed of sound under water ? If so, you should mention it under 'given/known' data. That prevents we have to guess after what you were given to do the exercise.

As a physicist, I would say that the 1.10 s has three significant digits at most. So the answer shouldn't have more than 3 digits, (max 4 if the first is a 1).

BvU said:
I take it the 1533 m/s is the speed of sound under water ? If so, you should mention it under 'given/known' data. That prevents we have to guess after what you were given to do the exercise.

As a physicist, I would say that the 1.10 s has three significant digits at most. So the answer shouldn't have more than 3 digits, (max 4 if the first is a 1).

To be even more accurate in the real world, you'd need to specify the depth, the temperate and salinity too but that's beyond the scope of this problem.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Underwater_acoustics

1. How does sonar calculate the distance of an echo?

Sonar uses the time difference between sending a sound wave and receiving its echo to calculate the distance to the object.

2. What type of sound wave does sonar use?

Sonar uses high frequency sound waves, typically between 20-160 kHz, to create an echo.

3. How accurate is sonar in calculating distance?

Sonar is extremely accurate in calculating distance, with most systems having an accuracy of within a few centimeters.

4. Can sonar be used in any type of environment?

Yes, sonar can be used in a variety of environments, including air, water, and even through solid objects like ice.

5. How does sonar account for changes in water temperature and salinity?

Sonar systems use advanced algorithms and equations to account for changes in water temperature and salinity, ensuring accurate distance calculations.