Calculating Torque Required for Bicycle Chain Drive on an Incline

In summary, the problem requires finding the torque needed for a bicycle to travel up an incline, taking into account the force needed to overcome gravity and the ratio of teeth on the gears. The equation for torque is given as \tau = r*F and the ratio of torques is equal to the ratio of teeth on the gears. The issue of calculating with a chain and accounting for rolling resistance is also mentioned.
draco193

Homework Statement

I am having some trouble with a bicycle chain drive.

I need to find the torque required to have a bicycle travel up an incline.

The bicycle is already moving

Homework Equations

[tex]\tau = r*F[/tex]

Torque is equal to the radius of the wheel, multiplied by the force needed to be overcome.

[tex]\stackrel{Torque_{out}}{Torque_{in}} = \stackrel{N_{out}}{N_{in}}\[/tex]

The ratio of the torques is equal to the ratio of the number of teeth on the gears

The Attempt at a Solution

Calculating the force needed to overcome is simply calculating the gravity force pointing back down the ramp. I believe I can ignore the rolling resistance since the bike is already moving.

As for computing the torque required, I am wondering if there is a change in equations that I need for computing with a chain are different than the ones I have stated, or if those are incorrect.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Additionally, I don't know how to take into account the ratio of teeth on the gears.Any help with this problem would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

1. What is torque?

Torque is a measure of the force that causes an object to rotate around an axis. It is typically measured in Newton-meters (Nm) or foot-pounds (ft-lb).

2. How is torque calculated?

Torque is calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the distance from the axis of rotation to the point where the force is applied. Mathematically, torque = force x distance.

3. How is torque related to bicycle chain drives?

Torque is an important factor in determining the power and efficiency of a bicycle chain drive. It is the force that is required to turn the pedals and move the chain, and it is also affected by factors such as the size of the gears and the incline of the terrain.

4. How do you calculate the torque required for a bicycle chain drive on an incline?

To calculate the torque required for a bicycle chain drive on an incline, you will need to know the force needed to turn the pedals, the incline angle, and the distance from the pedals to the center of the rear wheel. You can then use the formula torque = force x distance x sin(angle) to determine the required torque.

5. How can torque be adjusted on a bicycle chain drive?

The torque on a bicycle chain drive can be adjusted by changing the gear ratio, which affects the distance from the pedals to the center of the rear wheel. A lower gear ratio will require less torque to turn the pedals, while a higher gear ratio will require more torque.