Calculating Vehicle Speed at Impact: The Equation and Variables

In summary, the conversation is about finding a formula to calculate the speed of a car involved in an automobile accident. The details provided include the weights of the two vehicles, the distance traveled after impact, and the time it took for the impact. The equation on a website is mentioned as a potential solution, but the value of Ve^2 is needed. The conversation also mentions the importance of factors such as the coefficient of friction of the road and the width of the tires.
ninjaattackcat
I am not too good at physics so I thought I would post here to find an answer to a question. I was recently involved in an automobile accident and was wondering if there was a formula to calculate how fast the other car was traveling at the time of impact. The details are as follows:

Vehicle 1 (v1)was traveling left and vehicle 2 (v2) hit the right front, so v1 was traveling at 0 mph in the direction of being pushed by v2 (think of an L or a T)
Vehicle hit (v1): 3600 lbs.
Vehicle doing the hitting (v2): 2600 lbs.
Distance v1 moved after impact: ~ 2 meters
Time: ~ 1 second
Speed after impact: 0 mph

Thanks if you can help out.

Edit:
Equation 2 on this page http://www.accidentexpert.com/engr/skidart1-a.html is what I am after I think, but I need to find out what Ve^2 is ... is there any way of finding this out? This would be the speed at impact.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
There are a lot of variables unaccounted for that would be crucial to determining the mass. Probably the most important one would be the coefficient of friction of the road where the collision took place.

MrXow said:
There are a lot of variables unaccounted for that would be crucial to determining the mass. Probably the most important one would be the coefficient of friction of the road where the collision took place.

Additional details that I do have are that the width of the tires on v1 are 235mm. I am sorry that I don't know the coefficient of friction of wet asphalt. I did however find this:
Material 1: Rubber Material 2: Asphalt (Wet) Coefficient of Friction: 0.25-0.0.75

Anything else needed?

Related to Calculating Vehicle Speed at Impact: The Equation and Variables

What is the relationship between vehicle speed and fuel efficiency?

The higher the vehicle speed, the lower the fuel efficiency. This is because at higher speeds, more energy is required to overcome air resistance, leading to increased fuel consumption.

How does vehicle weight affect its speed?

Vehicle weight has a significant impact on speed. Heavier vehicles require more energy to move, resulting in slower acceleration and lower top speeds compared to lighter vehicles.

What factors affect the maximum speed a vehicle can reach?

The maximum speed of a vehicle is influenced by various factors such as engine power, aerodynamics, weight, and road conditions. Vehicles with more powerful engines, better aerodynamics, and lighter weight can generally achieve higher speeds.

What is the difference between top speed and cruising speed?

Top speed refers to the maximum speed a vehicle can reach under optimal conditions, while cruising speed is the speed at which a vehicle can maintain for extended periods without putting excessive strain on the engine.

How does changing tire size affect vehicle speed?

Changing tire size can affect vehicle speed in two ways. A larger tire diameter can increase top speed but decrease acceleration, while a smaller tire diameter can increase acceleration but decrease top speed. However, changing tire size can also affect the accuracy of the speedometer, so it's important to consult a professional before making any changes.