Calculating Wavelength in a Medium with Different Speed of Sound

• Thread starter Deebu R
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Wavelength
In summary, the conversation discusses the wavelength of ultrasonic waves passing through a medium with a speed 10 times that of air. Using the equation wavelength = wave speed/frequency, the wavelength is calculated to be 1 cm. The importance of including units in calculations is also emphasized.
Deebu R

Homework Statement

Ultrasonic waves of frequency 3 x 10^5 Hz are passing through a medium where speed I found is 10 times that in air ( speed of sound in air is 300m/s). The wavelength of this wave in the medium will be in the order of?

Homework Equations

Wavelength = wave speed/ frequency...maybe

The Attempt at a Solution

Using the equation I got 300 x 10/(3 x 10^5)=0.01[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi,

Is there a question you need help with here ?

I don't want to be corny, but: is that in inches, miles or in furlongs :smile:?

I am guessing meters so in cm it becomes 1 cm, right?

Of course. It's just that I wanted to emphasize to you that you should always include units.

(also in calculations: 300 m/s x 10/(3 x 10^5 /s ) = 0.01 m -- the factor 10 is a ratio, no dimension)

BvU said:
Of course. It's just that I wanted to emphasize to you that you should always include units.

(also in calculations: 300 m/s x 10/(3 x 10^5 /s ) = 0.01 m -- the factor 10 is a ratio, no dimension)
I was just making sure. Thank you for the help.

1. What is the significance of a wavelength of 0.01m?

In the scientific context, a wavelength of 0.01m falls within the visible light spectrum and is equivalent to a wavelength of 10 micrometers. This range of wavelengths is important in understanding the behavior of light and its interactions with matter.

2. How is the order of wavelength determined?

The order of wavelength is determined by measuring the distance between two consecutive peaks or troughs in a wave. This distance is then compared to the known values of different wavelengths in the electromagnetic spectrum to determine the order of the wavelength.

3. What are some examples of wavelengths that fall within the order of 0.01m?

Some examples of wavelengths that fall within the order of 0.01m include infrared radiation, microwaves, and radio waves. These are longer wavelengths that are not visible to the human eye, but are used in various technologies such as remote sensing and communication.

4. How does the order of wavelength affect the properties of light?

The order of wavelength affects the properties of light in several ways. For example, shorter wavelengths have higher frequencies and carry more energy, while longer wavelengths have lower frequencies and carry less energy. Additionally, different wavelengths interact with matter differently, which is why we see different colors in the visible light spectrum.

5. Can the order of wavelength change?

The order of wavelength is determined by the physical properties of light and cannot be changed. However, the wavelength of light can be altered through various processes such as diffraction, refraction, and reflection. These processes can change the direction and intensity of light waves, but the order of the wavelength remains the same.