Calculating Work to Move a Charge in an Equilateral Triangle

In summary: No, they are not considered a dipole for any distance from the dipole.How far away from the dipole must they be in order for the total potential due to them to be significant?How far away from the dipole must they be in order for the total potential due to them to be significant?I'm sorry, I don't understand your question.
rgold

Homework Statement

two particles with charges 4e and -4e are fixed at the vertices of an equilateral triangle with sides of length a. If k=1/4 pi Ԑ what quantity of work is required to move a particle with a charge q from the other vertex to the center of the line joining the fixed charges?

Homework Equations

W = -delta U

The Attempt at a Solution

-(4kQq / a - 2kQq / a) = -2kQq / a => 2kQq / a
I know this is for when the charges are equal (both are Q) but I am not sure how to translate that into my problem...

Physics news on Phys.org
would it be (( 4*1/4 pi Ԑ *4) - (2*1/4 pi Ԑ *-4))/a?

rgold said:
I know this is for when the charges are equal (both are Q) but I am not sure how to translate that into my problem...
No, it's for one charge of q and one of Q.
rgold said:
would it be (( 4*1/4 pi Ԑ *4) - (2*1/4 pi Ԑ *-4))/a?
No. Please post your reasoning and working.

haruspex said:
No, it's for one charge of q and one of Q.

No. Please post your reasoning and working.
I think I am just getting more confused and that I should start from the beginning... What is the best way to go about this problem?

rgold said:
I think I am just getting more confused and that I should start from the beginning... What is the best way to go about this problem?
What is the potential where the charge starts?

haruspex said:
What is the potential where the charge starts?
kQq/r

rgold said:
kQq/r
And the potential energy, at the time it starts?

You should also be using the brackets appropriately - 1/4πε0 is read as (1/4)*πε0.

rgold said:
W = -delta U
Also, which work is this?

Qwertywerty said:
Also, which work is this?
Wouldn't that be the work that I'm looking for?

Qwertywerty said:
And the potential energy, at the time it starts?

You should also be using the brackets appropriately - 1/4πε0 is read as (1/4)*πε0.
So would it be ((4*1/4πε)-(-4*1/4πε))/a?

rgold said:
Wouldn't that be the work that I'm looking for?
Is that the work done by the external force, or the electric force?
rgold said:
So would it be ((4*1/4πε)-(-4*1/4πε))/a?
As hurspex pointed out, that is wrong. I was merely requesting you to write in a more, correct fashion. You will need to show your working.

Qwertywerty said:

As hurspex pointed out, that is wrong. I was merely requesting you to write in a more, correct fashion. You will need to show your working.
at first i thought i should be using (1/(4*πε0))*((q1q12)/r) is this correct? and should my answer have an 'a' is it?

Qwertywerty said:

or do i need to look at it as a dipole moment?

rgold said:
kQq/r
I meant the total potential, due to the two fixed charges.

rgold said:
You do not care about forces. This is just about potentials.

rgold said:
Can you consider a +4e and -4e as a dipole for any distance from the dipole? What is their constraint?

1. How do you calculate the work required to move a charge in an equilateral triangle?

To calculate the work required to move a charge in an equilateral triangle, you must first determine the magnitude of the charge, the distance it is being moved, and the electric field present in the triangle. Then, you can use the formula W = qEd, where W is the work, q is the charge, E is the electric field, and d is the distance.

2. Can the work required to move a charge in an equilateral triangle be negative?

Yes, the work required to move a charge in an equilateral triangle can be negative. This occurs when the charge is moving in the direction opposite to the electric field. In this case, the electric force and the displacement are in opposite directions, resulting in a negative work value.

3. What is the relationship between work and the electric field in an equilateral triangle?

The work required to move a charge in an equilateral triangle is directly proportional to the electric field present in the triangle. This means that as the electric field increases, the work required to move the charge also increases. Similarly, as the electric field decreases, the work required decreases as well.

4. Is the work required to move a charge in an equilateral triangle dependent on the magnitude of the charge?

Yes, the work required to move a charge in an equilateral triangle is directly proportional to the magnitude of the charge. This means that as the charge increases, the work required also increases. However, the distance and electric field present in the triangle also play a role in determining the work required.

5. Can the work required to move a charge in an equilateral triangle be calculated using vector components?

Yes, the work required to move a charge in an equilateral triangle can be calculated using vector components. This involves breaking up the displacement and electric field vectors into their x and y components and using the formula W = qExdx + qEydy, where Ex and Ey are the x and y components of the electric field, and dx and dy are the x and y components of the displacement.