Charged particle in centre of equilateral triangle

In summary: I completely messed up there, i need to get some sleep :D.Thank you!:smile:In summary, the net force on q4, a particle with a charge of 3*10^-4 C located at the intersection of bisectors of an equilateral triangle with three other particles of equal charge (4*10^-6 C) at each corner, is 27 kN in the x-direction and 0 kN in the y-direction. This is due to the symmetry of the system and the calculation of the forces using rectangular coordinates.
prehisto

Homework Statement

3 charged particles located at equilateral triangles corners has charge ##q_1=q_2=q_2=4*10^{-6} C ## The 4th particle with charge ## q_4=3*10^{-4}## is placed at bisectors crossing. The distance between q1 and q4 is 3.46 cm .What is the net force on q4?
trijsturis.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So I calculated the forces ## F_{43} =F_{42}=F_{41}= (k q_1 q_2 )/ r^2 =9kN ##
Next I thought I calculate the F* and sum of ## F_{41} and F* ##
##F*=F^*_{43} +F^*_{42}=F_{43}/cos(60)+F_{42}/cos(60)= 36kN##

Now when i add up ##F* +F_{41}=27kN## Its getting confusing , because I was certain that sum of all forces on q4 should be zero,because of the symmetry and q1=q2=q3.

My question to you guys is, is my calculation wrong or the sum of all forces should not be zero?

Physics news on Phys.org
prehisto said:

Homework Statement

3 charged particles located at equilateral triangles corners has charge ##q_1=q_2=q_2=4*10^{-6} C ## The 4th particle with charge ## q_4=3*10^{-4}## is placed at bisectors crossing. The distance between q1 and q4 is 3.46 cm .What is the net force on q4?
trijsturis.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So I calculated the forces ## F_{43} =F_{42}=F_{41}= (k q_1 q_2 )/ r^2 =9kN ##
Next I thought I calculate the F* and sum of ## F_{41} and F* ##
##F*=F^*_{43} +F^*_{42}=F_{43}/cos(60)+F_{42}/cos(60)= 36kN##

Now when i add up ##F* +F_{41}=27kN## Its getting confusing , because I was certain that sum of all forces on q4 should be zero,because of the symmetry and q1=q2=q3.

My question to you guys is, is my calculation wrong or the sum of all forces should not be zero?
I think the sum should be zero, but you need to show the vector sum of the vector forces to show it. Use rectangular coordinates to write the equations... :smile:

berkeman said:
Use rectangular coordinates to write the equations... :smile:
Thank you for responding.

But i think I am did exactly that. If we imagine that direction from q4 to q1 ir positive axis direction . I projected two vectors to x-axis and added them up, then subtracted the third.

prehisto said:
Thank you for responding.

But i think I am did exactly that. If we imagine that direction from q4 to q1 ir positive axis direction . I projected two vectors to x-axis and added them up, then subtracted the third.
I guess the way you wrote it is not intuitive for me, and doesn't appear to show the forces in both the x and y directions. I was looking for something more like this:

ΣFx = Fx14 + Fx24 + Fx34

ΣFy = Fy14 + Fy24 + Fy34

Can you express your work more in that format? :smile:

berkeman said:
Can you express your work more in that format? :smile:

##Fx=Fx_{14} +Fx_{24}+Fx_{34}=F_{14}/cos(60)+F_{24}/cos(60)+Fx_{34}= 18+18-9=27kN##
##Fy=Fy_{14} +Fy_{24}+Fy_{34}=F_{14}*cos(90)+F_{24}*cos(30)+F_{34}*cos(30)= 0+7,24+7,24=15,48kN##
looking at the final values,looks like something is terribly wrong , but i don't see it :(

prehisto said:
##Fx=Fx_{14} +Fx_{24}+Fx_{34}=F_{14}/cos(60)+F_{24}/cos(60)+Fx_{34}= 18+18-9=27kN##
##Fy=Fy_{14} +Fy_{24}+Fy_{34}=F_{14}*cos(90)+F_{24}*cos(30)+F_{34}*cos(30)= 0+7,24+7,24=15,48kN##
looking at the final values,looks like something is terribly wrong , but i don't see it :(
In the x-direction, Fx14 is zero, right? And Fx24 and Fx34 should be the same, differing only by their signs... And so on...

berkeman said:
n the x-direction, Fx14 is zero, right? And Fx24 and Fx34 should be the same, differing only by their signs... And so on...

jess! I completely messed up there, i need to get some sleep :D.
Thank you!

:smile:

What is a charged particle in the centre of an equilateral triangle?

A charged particle in the centre of an equilateral triangle is a scenario in which a positively or negatively charged particle is placed at the exact center of an equilateral triangle, which is a triangle with all three sides equal in length.

What is the significance of studying a charged particle in the centre of an equilateral triangle?

Studying a charged particle in the centre of an equilateral triangle allows for exploration of the behavior and interactions of charged particles in a symmetrical and controlled environment. It can also provide insights into the electrostatic forces and fields at play in this scenario.

What are the possible outcomes of placing a charged particle in the centre of an equilateral triangle?

The possible outcomes of placing a charged particle in the centre of an equilateral triangle depend on the magnitude and direction of the charge, as well as the distances between the particle and the triangle's vertices. The particle may experience a net force towards or away from one or more of the vertices, or it may remain in equilibrium at the center of the triangle.

Can a charged particle in the centre of an equilateral triangle ever be in equilibrium?

Yes, a charged particle in the centre of an equilateral triangle can be in equilibrium if the charges at the three vertices are equal in magnitude and opposite in sign. In this case, the net electrostatic force on the particle will be zero, and it will remain stationary at the center of the triangle.

How does the distance between the charged particle and the vertices of the equilateral triangle affect its behavior?

The distance between the charged particle and the vertices of the equilateral triangle can greatly impact its behavior. As the distances change, the electrostatic forces and fields at play will change, potentially resulting in different outcomes such as the particle remaining stationary, moving towards a specific vertex, or oscillating between vertices.