Calculation with Pauli matrices

In summary, the conversation is about a calculation involving the dot product and Pauli matrices. The person is seeking help for a mistake they made in their calculation. The other person provides a hint that an identity matrix should be multiplied with the dot product, which leads to the desired result. The reason for this is that the other terms in the calculation involve Pauli matrices and the result of the dot product must adapt to this structure.
frerk

Homework Statement

Hey :-)
I just need some help for a short calculation.
I have to show, that
[tex] (\sigma \cdot a)(\sigma \cdot b) = (a \cdot b) + i \sigma \cdot (a \times b) [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I am quiet sure, that my mistake is on the right side, so I will show you my calculation for this one:
[tex] a_xb_x + a_yb_y+a_zb_z + i\sigma_x (a_yb_z - a_3b_2) + i\sigma_y (a_zb_x-a_xb_z) + i\sigma_z (a_xb_y -a_yb_x) [/tex]

The last 3 terms are a 2x2 matrix and the first 3 terms are just a scalar...
So i can`t add them.

would be happy fora small hint what is wrong :-)
Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
There is actually an identity matrix to be multiplied wit ##a\cdot b##.

blue_leaf77 said:
There is actually an identity matrix to be multiplied wit ##a\cdot b##.
hey. thank you for your answer.
Yes, right. that brings to to the result I want.
Is there a rule, why I have to multiply the result of the dot product with the idendity matrix?
Because the other terms include a Pauli Matrix and the result
of the dot produkt must adapt to that structure?

frerk said:
hey. thank you for your answer.
Yes, right. that brings to to the result I want.
Is there a rule, why I have to multiply the result of the dot product with the idendity matrix?
Because the other terms include a Pauli Matrix and the result
of the dot produkt must adapt to that structure?
Of course it can be proven using the more fundamental properties of Pauli matrices, especially their commutation and anti-commutation. An easy prove can be found here.

What are Pauli matrices?

Pauli matrices are a set of three 2x2 matrices named after physicist Wolfgang Pauli. They are used in quantum mechanics to represent spin and are denoted by the Greek letter sigma followed by a subscript for the x, y, or z component.

What is the significance of Pauli matrices in calculations?

Pauli matrices are important in quantum mechanics because they represent spin, which is a fundamental property of particles. They are also used to describe the behavior of particles in electromagnetic fields and to calculate probabilities of certain quantum events.

How do you perform calculations with Pauli matrices?

To perform calculations with Pauli matrices, you can use the standard rules of matrix multiplication and addition. It is important to remember that the Pauli matrices do not commute, meaning their order matters when multiplying them together.

What are some common applications of Pauli matrices in science?

Pauli matrices have many applications in science, including quantum mechanics, particle physics, and condensed matter physics. They are used to study the behavior of particles in magnetic fields, to describe the structure of crystals, and to model the behavior of quantum systems such as atoms and nuclei.

Are there any limitations to using Pauli matrices in calculations?

One limitation of using Pauli matrices is that they only represent spin for spin-1/2 particles. This means they cannot be used for particles with other spin values, such as photons or gluons. Additionally, they do not take into account the effects of relativity, so they may not accurately describe high-energy particle interactions.