Calculus 2 question (∫cos^3(x)dx)

In summary, this website provides a list of formulas for trigonometry problems. These formulas can be used to aid in solving problems. However, the author suggests using simpler formulas before more complicated ones. They also mention that you can use substitution to simplify the problem if you are having difficulty with it. Lastly, they provide an example problem and their attempt at a solution.
aglo6509

Homework Statement

∫cos^3(x)dx

Homework Equations

http://college.cengage.com/mathemat...students/derivatives/derivative_integrals.pdf

http://college.cengage.com/mathemat...ytic/8e/students/trig_review/trigonometry.pdf

This is the website I've using to get my formulas.

The Attempt at a Solution

This seems to be an easy problem but I can't the answer.

Heres my attempt:

∫cos^3(x)dx
∫cosxcos^2(x)dx
∫cosx((1+cos2x)/2) dx
∫(cosx + (cosxcos2x))/2 dx
∫(cosx)/2dx + ∫(cosxcos2x)/2 dx
-1/2sinx + ∫1/2(cos(-x)+cos3x)dx <---double angle formula
-1/2sinx + 1/2[sin(-x) - 1/3sin3x] +C

I thought this was right, but the answer they give in the back of my exam review packet is:

sinx-(sin^3(x))/3 +C

I can't think of anyway of getting a sin^3! Please help

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi aglo6509, :smile:

aglo6509 said:
Heres my attempt:

∫cos^3(x)dx
∫cosxcos^2(x)dx
∫cosx((1+cos2x)/2) dx
∫(cosx + (cosxcos2x))/2 dx
∫(cosx)/2dx + ∫(cosxcos2x)/2 dx
-1/2sinx + ∫1/2(cos(-x)+cos3x)dx <---double angle formula

Firstly, [itex]\int{\cos(x)dx}=\sin(x)+C[/itex] and not -sin(x), like you wrote.
Secondly, I really don't see how you used the "double angle formula" there. :frown: In fact, whatever formula you used, you probably made a mistake since the transition is not correct. That is [itex]\cos{x}cos(2x)\neq \cos(-x)+\cos(3x)[/itex].

-1/2sinx + 1/2[sin(-x) - 1/3sin3x] +C

I thought this was right, but the answer they give in the back of my exam review packet is:

sinx-(sin^3(x))/3 +C

I can't think of anyway of getting a sin^3! Please help

Also note, that we have [itex]\sin(3x)=3\sin(x)-4\sin^3(x)[/itex]. So, this is how the cube comes into the problem.

Furthermore, you've chosen a quite difficult approach to the problem. Did you already see substitution? In that case, if you substitute t=sin(x) in the integral [itex]\int{\cos^3(x)dx}[/tex], then the integral becomes much easier!

This problem is much easier if you use the formula cos^2(x) = 1-sin^2(x). In general, try simple formulas before more complicated ones. (This is of course relative, but I classify a simple formula as one that comes up often and is extremely easy to remember.)

Also ∫(cosx)/2dx is 1/2sinx, not -1/2sinx.

Oh I meant Product-to-Sum formula not a double angle formula.

aglo6509 said:
Oh I meant Product-to-Sum formula not a double angle formula.

I thought so :smile:
But you still made a mistake in applying the formula. You forgot a factor 1/2 in front of the sum. (Remember that you already had a factor 1/2, so together you should have a factor 1/4)

Wow guys I just realized the big thing I looked over.

So it would be:

∫cos^3(x)dx
∫cosxcos^2(x)dx
∫cosx(1-sin^2(x))dx
∫cosx-sin^2(x)cosxdx
∫cosxdx-∫sin^2(x)cosxdx
sinx - (sin^3(x))/3 + C

Thanks guys, I looked at it again and within 3 seconds saw my error :smile:

If you change variables to y = sin(x), so dy = cos(x) dx, you have integral (1 - y^2) dy, which looks pretty easy.

RGV

Related to Calculus 2 question (∫cos^3(x)dx)

What is the purpose of using calculus in this integral?

The purpose of using calculus in this integral is to find the antiderivative of the given function, which represents the area under the curve of the function.

What is the formula for finding the antiderivative of cos^3(x)?

The formula for finding the antiderivative of cos^3(x) is ∫cos^3(x)dx = (cos(x)sin^2(x))/3 + C, where C is the constant of integration.

How do you solve the integral using the formula?

To solve the integral, you first use the power reduction formula to rewrite cos^3(x) as (cos(x))(1-sin^2(x)). Then, you can use the trigonometric substitution method to solve for the antiderivative.

Can this integral be solved using other methods?

Yes, this integral can also be solved using integration by parts or by using the substitution method with u = sin(x).

What are some real-world applications of integrating cos^3(x)?

This integral can be used to calculate the work done by a force acting at an angle on an object, the average value of a periodic function, or the distance traveled by an object moving with a varying velocity.