Camera allows video streaming but no recording

In summary, the camera can be connected to a PC to stream or download pictures, but cannot record videos. The software to record videos must be purchased separately.
fog37
Hello,

I am looking at an IR camera that can be connected to a PC. The camera can store pictures and can only do video streaming but no video recording...What is the difference? Does it mean that we can view what is going on the camera screen also on the computer screen but not record it as a video?
I am familiar with streaming in the internet context: instead of first downloading a file before viewing it, we can view it as it is being downloaded.

thanks,
fog37

Computer science news on Phys.org
Maybe the camera doesn't have a memory fast or large enough to record videos there? The PC can record videos - if there is no camera software to do it you can run external software capturing the input or (worst case) the screen.

Thanks!
The camera has a free software that only allows video streaming, i.e. it shows on the PC screen what is shown on the camera smaller screen.

To record that, as you say, I need some other type of software. What type of software should I look for? Do you have any example?
Also, do you think the camera will be able to interact with that external software? The camera is an IR camera. The images pixels will have a color but also an associated temperature value. How is that done, i.e. is the image file actually two files, one for the color and one for the temperature values?

thanks

If the camera software provides no help at all and if there is also no alternative software to record what the camera is streaming (maybe it is some common format?), then recording the screen is the best you can do. Find your favorite software.

What you can do depends on the camera and the connection.

Thanks!

I learned something today (screen recording software)...

On a different note, I am about to read up on your LHC article series. Hope you don't mind if I ask basic questions as I read along. Thanks for posting them

Likes mfb

1. Why does my camera allow video streaming but not recording?

The camera may have been designed specifically for streaming purposes, and therefore does not have the capability to record videos. Alternatively, it may be a setting that can be changed in the camera's software or app.

2. Can I still save a streamed video on my camera?

It depends on the specific camera and its features. Some cameras may have the ability to save a streamed video onto a connected device, while others may not have this option.

3. Is there a way to bypass the no recording feature on my camera?

Attempting to bypass the no recording feature on a camera may result in damaging the device or voiding its warranty. It is not recommended to try and bypass this feature.

4. How can I tell if my camera is only for streaming?

You can check the camera's specifications or manual to see if it mentions streaming as its primary function. Additionally, if the camera does not have a physical record button or option in its software, it is likely designed for streaming only.

5. Can I use a different camera or device to record a streamed video?

Yes, you can use a separate camera or device to record a streamed video. However, the quality of the recording may vary depending on the capabilities of the device being used.