Can a biology major enter a bioengineering grad program?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of switching from a Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) degree to an engineering degree in order to pursue a graduate program in bioengineering. While it may be challenging to switch during the second year, it is recommended to take relevant engineering courses during undergraduate studies to increase chances of admission to a bioengineering graduate program. Some universities have specific programs for engineering biology, but it may not result in an accredited engineering degree. Overall, it is advised to carefully plan coursework and research programs to increase chances of success.
ander
I am in my first year at the university as a Bachelor of the Arts student rather than as an engineering student. Though I may be able to switch in my second year, this isn't likely given the first-year course load in the engineering school. If I were to get the B.A., would I be able to enter a graduate program in engineering?

My interests are mostly in biology/bioengineering. If I couldn't get into the chem & bio engineering program as a second-year student I would most likely major in molecular biology. I checked the websites of some grad programs and most implied (or said outright) that students typically come from undergrad engineering backgrounds. I was curious to know if anybody here has any experience switching from a B.A. to engineering.

Thanks,
AX

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
yeah, but try to take the classes you've missed during undergrad. . . if you can. . .

though most grad programs will have you take a year of make-up coursework. . .

Depends on the school and program. The problem is that you basically lack half the field. It is easier for some engineering majors to pick up the relevant bio than it for bio majors to pick up the necessary engineering. I would advise you to take a look at other schools' bioengineering major classes and try to take them as an undergrad, even if they don't count for a biology degree. This is much safer and gives you a better chance of getting admitted than applying for grad school knowing only half of what you should. Good luck!

Also, here is a link to our university's bioengineering B.S. It seems they have a lot of special classes but other colleges have just combinations of engineering and biology classes. Maybe those would be a bit more instructive:

http://courses.illinois.edu/cis/2011/fall/programs/undergrad/engin/bioengin.html

Thanks for the replies.

I'm definitely planning on taking all of the relevant coursework that I can. My university has an independent 'program in engineering biology' that doesn't give you an engineering degree but does have a structure that includes core engineering classes like computer programming, differential equations, statistics, etc. Luckily I'm still in my first year, so I will have a good amount of time to take classes within the engineering school. The caveat is that unless I get officially accepted into the engineering school I won't be accredited. But based on what you've said and on some more research I've been doing it doesn't look impossible to go into grad bioengineering with a biology B.A.

I can say that it is possible for a biology major to enter a bioengineering grad program. While it may be more common for students with a background in engineering to pursue bioengineering at the graduate level, it is not a requirement. Many universities and programs value interdisciplinary backgrounds and welcome students from diverse academic backgrounds.

However, it may be more challenging for a biology major to enter a bioengineering grad program, as they may not have the same foundational knowledge and skills in engineering as their peers. It is important for the student to carefully consider their course load and make sure they are taking relevant courses and gaining relevant experience in bioengineering to strengthen their application for a graduate program in this field.

Additionally, some programs may have specific prerequisites or requirements for applicants, so it is important for the student to thoroughly research and understand these requirements before applying. It may also be helpful for the student to reach out to the program or speak with an advisor to discuss their interests and goals, and see if a biology major would be a suitable background for their desired program.

In terms of switching from a B.A. to engineering, it is possible but may require some extra effort and planning. It would be important for the student to speak with an advisor or the engineering department to understand the course requirements and see if it is feasible to switch into the engineering program in their second year. Additionally, gaining relevant experience and taking relevant courses in bioengineering as part of their biology major may also strengthen their application for a graduate program in this field.

Overall, while it may not be the most common path, a biology major can certainly enter a bioengineering grad program. It is important for the student to carefully plan their course load and gain relevant experience in bioengineering to make themselves a competitive applicant for such programs.

Related to Can a biology major enter a bioengineering grad program?

1. Can a biology major enter a bioengineering grad program?

Yes, many bioengineering graduate programs accept students with a biology background. However, admissions requirements may vary and it is important to research individual programs for specific prerequisites.

2. What skills do I need as a biology major to be successful in a bioengineering grad program?

As a biology major, you should have a strong foundation in biology, chemistry, physics, and math. You may also need to have some programming and laboratory skills.

3. Are there any specific courses I should take as a biology major to prepare for a bioengineering grad program?

It is recommended to take courses in genetics, cell biology, biochemistry, and physiology as a biology major to prepare for a bioengineering grad program. Courses in engineering principles and design may also be helpful.

4. Do I need to have research experience as a biology major to be accepted into a bioengineering grad program?

Having research experience is not always a requirement for admission into a bioengineering grad program, but it can be beneficial. It shows that you have hands-on experience in a laboratory setting and are familiar with the research process.

5. Can a biology major pursue a specific focus within bioengineering in a grad program?

Yes, many bioengineering graduate programs offer different focus areas such as biomaterials, biomechanics, tissue engineering, and biomedical devices. As a biology major, you may have the opportunity to specialize in a specific area that aligns with your interests and career goals.