Can a Switched-Mode Power Supply Automatically Handle Both 110V and 220V Inputs?

• Thread starter Frank Sinatra
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Power
In summary, a power supply that can accept 110V or 220V at 60Hz as input, and can provide an adjustable DC output of 0-20V can be achieved using a mechanical switch or by using a switched mode power supply.
Frank Sinatra
Greetings

I am interested in designing a power supply that can accept 110V or 220V at 60Hz as input, and can provide an adjustable DC output of 0-20V.

Here is the thing: I know I can use a mechanical switch so that my supply can accommodate either 110 or 220V, but is there a way to do so without using such a switch?

I believe there must be a way to do so. My belief is motivated by an observation I made looking at my laptop adapter. My laptop adapter accepts 100-240V AC and provides a fixed 19V DC output, yet, it does this automatically without the need for a mechanical switch or any interference from the user.

I am tempted to think that this property is inherent to Switched-Mode Power Supplies. My knowledge about such supplies is rather limited. I read wikipedia articles about such supplies, but I would be delighted to have a good source.

To conclude: How can my supply accept 110V or 220V AC and still provide an adjustable DC output from 0 to 20V without requiring any human intervention?
Take care

Engineering news on Phys.org
How much current do you want? I used to work on capacitor and inductor analyzers that had a leakage test function for caps. You dialed in the voltage you wanted anywhere up to 1000 volts. Obviously it was a low current supply but with a single switcher they could vary the voltage anywhere between close to zero and 1000. With that kind of range it should not be difficult for you to allow for the input voltage to move around when you only want up to 20 volts.

How much output current do you need?

I'd guess that you could use a 220V transformer having two secondaries. If the voltage on one secondary is sensed as being half what is needed, series it with the other. Primary current rating to suit the highest current operation, viz., 110V.

Switched mode supplies probably do this a bit differently, the changes being made on their high-frequency side.

Related to Can a Switched-Mode Power Supply Automatically Handle Both 110V and 220V Inputs?

What is a switched-mode power supply?

A switched-mode power supply (SMPS) is an electronic circuit that converts electrical power from a source, such as an outlet, to a desired output voltage or current. It uses a switching regulator to control the output and is more efficient and compact than traditional linear power supplies.

What are the advantages of using a switched-mode power supply?

Some advantages of using an SMPS include higher efficiency, smaller size, and lower heat dissipation compared to linear power supplies. They also have a wider input voltage range and can be designed for various output voltages and currents.

What are the main components of a switched-mode power supply?

The main components of an SMPS include a rectifier, a switching regulator, and a transformer. The rectifier converts AC voltage from the source to DC voltage, the switching regulator controls the output voltage, and the transformer steps up or down the voltage to the desired level.

What is the difference between a buck converter and a boost converter in a switched-mode power supply?

A buck converter is a type of SMPS that steps down the input voltage to a lower output voltage, while a boost converter steps up the input voltage to a higher output voltage. Both converters use a switching regulator to control the output and are commonly used in different applications depending on the desired output voltage and current.

What are some common applications of switched-mode power supplies?

SMPS are commonly used in various electronic devices such as computers, mobile phones, and televisions. They are also used in industrial and automotive applications, as well as in renewable energy systems such as solar panels and wind turbines.