Advice on buying a power supply

In summary, the ebay power supply seems to have good technical specs, although I am not familiar with the brand. The other power supply seems to have better specs, but the cost is a bit higher. I would like to get one of each to see which one works better.
Planobilly
Hi Guys,
I want a to buy a DC power supply to experiment with to power transistor amps that I want to build. I also I want to power up 12V car radios and other low voltage devices.
I am looking at this one new from ebay which cost about $50.00.
" 30V 5A Precision Variable Adjustable Digital DC Power Supply Regulated Lab Grade ".
1. TECHNICAL PARAMETERS
1.1 Input voltage : 220V/110V AC±10% 50HZ/60HZ±2HZ
1.2 Line regulation: CV≤0.01%+1mV CC≤0.2%+1mA
1.3 Load regulation: CV≤0.01%+3mV(I≤3A) CC≤0.2%+3mA(I≤3A) CV≤0.01%+5mV(I>3A) CC≤0.2%+5mA(I>3A)
1.4 Ripple and noise: CV≤0.5mVr.m.s (I≤3A) CC≤3mAr.m.s (I≤3A) CV≤1.0mVr.m.s (I>3A) CC≤6mAr.m.s (I>3A)
1.5 Protection: constant current and short-circuit protection
1.6 Voltage indication accuracy: LED/LCD±1%+2digits, analogue display 2.5%
1.7 Current indication accuracy: LED/LCD±2%+2digits, analogue display 2.5%
1.8 Environment: 0 ~ +40 0C relative humidity:<90%

Assuming that it actually works as stated above, is this the sort of power supply that would be useful for general electronic experiments. I don't have unlimited money to spend but I don't want to buy junk either. Please take a look at 1.4 Ripple and noise and tell me if this will be an issue.

Thanks,

Billy

Engineering news on Phys.org
hi you Billy

looks respectable spec's
do you have a link to the ebay auction so we can have a look at the beast ?Dave

How Dee Dave,

Here is the link http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...ower+supp.TRS0&_nkw=power+supply&_sacat=92074

I also saw another one with more or less the same spec's that went up to 63V for about $75.00 So far all the "made in China" stuff I have acquired such as an Owan DS7102V scope has worked out OK so far.

I would also like to have a high voltage supply say in the 100V to 1000V range to experiment with. I assume I can say such a thing on this forum...lol The mere mention of such experimenting has brought great hordes of safety police on other forums threatening immediate excommunication and banishment...lol

Thanks,

Billy

Planobilly said:
Here is the link http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...ower+supp.TRS0&_nkw=power+supply&_sacat=92074

I also saw another one with more or less the same spec's that went up to 63V for about $75.00 So far all the "made in China" stuff I have acquired such as an Owan DS7102V scope has worked out OK so far.

Sweet !, might consider getting one myself !
The saler is in my home town of Sydney, Australia
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/New-30V-5A-Variable-DC-Power-Supply-Digital-Display-Lab-Grade-Adjustable-/111280062283?hash=item19e8ceff4b:g:hsIAAOSwEetV794i
Planobilly said:
I would also like to have a high voltage supply say in the 100V to 1000V range to experiment with. I assume I can say such a thing on this forum...lol The mere mention of such experimenting has brought great hordes of safety police on other forums threatening immediate excommunication and banishment...lol

wellllll ... LOL we like to know where people are at with their electronics experience etc before offering too much advice that may get them into further trouble
Threads do regularly get closed because it becomes very obvious that the poster has no idea what he is dealing with
It doesn't take too much effort to pick the experienced from the newbies :wink:

Dave

Hi Dave,

All joking aside, we all need to promote safety. I just finished repairing a 1934 RCA radio. When I got the radio I made a short video. The video was a test to see if I could even make a video and upload it to youtube. I don't have a nine year old kid to show me how to do such a thing...lol I was able to repair the radio without issue. The video, not so much...lol

This is another power supply I was looking at (60V 5A Precision Variable Adjustable Digital Regulated DC Power Supply TS J8T8). Perhaps a bit more useful, not sure, as I have not looked at the spec's yet. The cost is $67.44 and free shipping, so not much difference in price. Here is the link.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/60V-5A-Precision-Variable-Adjustable-Digital-Regulated-DC-Power-Supply-TS-J8T8-/131711813130?hash=item1eaaa2c60a:g:jusAAOSwqYBWpxpL

The reason for wanting any of these devices is related to being able to experiment mostly with audio amplifiers for guitars, both vacuum tube and solid state. Although poking around in valve amps is a relatively new endeavor, I have been repairing electronic devices all my life, or at least trying too...lol I made three solo trans Atlantic crossings in my sail boat. There are not many repair shops in the middle of the ocean so if it got fixed I had to do it myself. Being alone on a sail boat with a broken auto pilot will give one a large amount of motivation to figure out how to repair the bloody thing...lol

Cheers,

Billy

For light duty breadboarding I buy "Wall Warts" in thrift stores for around $1

feel them, the heavy ones are transformer based linear
light ones are SMPS
they're all marked as to output rating

12 volt 1 amp ones are a treasure for such experimenting, you can power a breadboard directly
sometimes you get lucky and find a 15 or 18 volt

a particular treasure is old Hewlett-Packard transformer with 3 wire output 10-0-10 vac, a centertapped secondary good for ~ one amp
that plus a bridge makes a dual supply, adding filters and building a tracking regulator is fun.

30 volt ones for printers are plentiful
i seldom use that much voltage but a pair would be handy for some higher voltage audio IC's like
http://www.st.com/web/en/resource/technical/document/datasheet/CD00000017.pdf

have fun on the cheap. As you hone your skills you'll get better at spotting a bargain .

old jim

Planobilly - It says it has short circuit protection but does it also have an adjustable current limit? Sometimes that's handy.

CWatters said:
Planobilly - It says it has short circuit protection but does it also have an adjustable current limit? Sometimes that's handy.

yes it does look at the unit :smile:
it has adj voltage and current

Dave

1. What factors should I consider when buying a power supply?

When buying a power supply, consider the wattage, efficiency, form factor, and modular vs non-modular design. Wattage determines the amount of power the supply can deliver, while efficiency indicates how much of that power is actually used by your system. The form factor should match your computer's case, and modular power supplies allow for easier cable management.

2. How do I determine the appropriate wattage for my power supply?

The appropriate wattage for your power supply depends on your system's components. A general rule of thumb is to add up the wattage requirements of your CPU, graphics card, and other components, then add about 50-100 watts for future upgrades. Online power supply calculators can also help determine the appropriate wattage for your specific setup.

3. What is the difference between 80 Plus certified power supplies and non-certified ones?

80 Plus certification is a rating system for power supply efficiency. A certified power supply meets certain efficiency requirements, meaning it wastes less energy and generates less heat. Non-certified power supplies may not be as efficient and can result in higher energy bills and potentially damage your components.

4. Is it worth investing in a higher quality power supply?

Yes, investing in a higher quality power supply can be beneficial in the long run. Higher quality power supplies often have better components and are more reliable, leading to better performance and potential energy savings. They also often come with longer warranties, providing peace of mind for your system.

5. Are there any additional features I should look for in a power supply?

Some additional features to consider when buying a power supply include fan noise levels, protection features (such as overvoltage and short-circuit protection), and the type of connectors included. It's also important to ensure that the power supply can handle your system's voltage and current requirements.