Can a triangle be formed with these length constraints?

In summary: I don't get what you say here.But in a sense I can say that r is not strictly a real number hence the statement is false... Am I right?No I was wrong all along... I solved it. The statement is true. All r is real and greater than Golden Ratio (1.61803)...
Nipuna Weerasekara

Homework Statement

There is a triangle with sides $$ 3,3r,3r^2 $$ such that 'r' is a real number strictly greater than the Golden Ratio.
Is this statement true or false...?

Homework Equations

$$Golden \space Ratio = \phi = 1.618... $$

The Attempt at a Solution

Actually I have no clue at all how to approach to this kind of question.

Physics news on Phys.org
Nipuna Weerasekara said:

Homework Statement

There is a triangle with sides $$ 3,3r,3r^2 $$ such that 'r' is a real number strictly greater than the Golden Ratio.
Is this statement true or false...?

Homework Equations

$$Golden \space Ratio = \phi = 1.618... $$

The Attempt at a Solution

Actually I have no clue at all how to approach to this kind of question.

When I give you 3 line segments with a random length, can you make a triangle with it?

Math_QED said:
When I give you 3 line segments with a random length, can you make a triangle with it?
I guess so

Take a paper, try to make a triangle with sides 1cm, 1cm and 10cm. Show us the triangle you found.

Actually there is a theorem called triangle inequality theorem, which states given ABC triangle, which has a,b,c length sides a+b>c , a+c>b and b+c>a must be true. therefore no need to show it to you that I can't create a triangle out of those sides 1,1 and 10.

Actually this gives me an idea how to approach the question.
i can try to get a result for r by solving three inequalities
$$3r^2 +3 > 3r$$ $$3r^2+3r>3$$ $$3+3r>3r^2$$

Eventually one inequality leads that r has a complex variance. (by solving 3r^2 +3 > 3r)

Nipuna Weerasekara said:
Eventually one inequality leads that r has a complex variance. (by solving $$3r^2 +3 > 3r$$)
Is,'t that trvially satisfied?

micromass said:
Is,'t that trvially satisfied?
I don't get what you say here.

But in a sense I can say that r is not strictly a real number hence the statement is false... Am I right?

No I was wrong all along... I solved it. The statement is true. All r is real and greater than Golden Ratio (1.61803)...

Nipuna Weerasekara said:
The statement is true. All r is real and greater than Golden Ratio (1.61803)...
So ##r=10## is obviously greater than ##\phi## and you've found a triangle with sides ##3, 30## and ##300##?
Which curvature do you assume your geometry has?

1. Can a triangle be formed if all three sides have the same length?

No, a triangle cannot be formed if all three sides have the same length. This is because in order for a triangle to exist, the sum of any two sides must be greater than the third side. If all three sides have the same length, this condition cannot be met.

2. Is it possible to form a triangle with only two sides that are equal in length?

Yes, it is possible to form a triangle with only two sides that are equal in length. This type of triangle is called an isosceles triangle. In an isosceles triangle, the two equal sides are opposite of each other and the third side is usually different in length.

3. What is the minimum length for the third side to form a triangle?

The minimum length for the third side to form a triangle is equal to the difference between the sum of the other two sides and the length of the longer side. For example, if the two sides are 3 and 4, the minimum length for the third side would be 4 - (3+4) = 1.

4. Can a triangle be formed if one side is longer than the sum of the other two sides?

No, a triangle cannot be formed if one side is longer than the sum of the other two sides. This violates the triangle inequality theorem, which states that the sum of any two sides must be greater than the third side for a triangle to exist.

5. How many different types of triangles can be formed with given length constraints?

The number of different types of triangles that can be formed with given length constraints depends on the lengths of the sides. If all three sides are different in length, there can be only one type of triangle. If two sides are equal in length, there can be two types of triangles (isosceles and scalene). If all three sides are equal in length, there is only one type of triangle (equilateral).