Can All Differential Equations Be Separated?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of separation of variables in solving partial differential equations. It is a technique that involves writing the function as a product of two separate functions and converting the equation into two ordinary differential equations. This approach can be used to solve equations with terms on the right hand side, but it is best to start with the homogeneous equation. Fourier methods can be used to solve the inhomogeneous equation, but boundary conditions are also needed. The conversation also mentions resources for practicing and solving differential equations.
whatisreality
I just wanted to check something. The equation

2φ / ∂x2 + ∂2φ / ∂y2 = sin(xy)

Was given as an example of a separable equation. I can't separate it, and I found online that to use separation of variables the equation should be linear, which this isn't? Is there a way of separating this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Separation of variables, in this context, means writing ## \phi(x,y) = X(x)Y(y) ## and getting the equation into the form (stuff depending only on ##x##) = (stuff depending only on ##y##) = constant. The only way this can happen is if the stuff depending only on ##x## and the stuff depending only on ##y## are are separately equal to zero. This technique, then, converts the partial different equation into two ordinary differential equations.

To use this approach, however, it's best to start with the homogeneous equation - the one without ## \sin(xy) ##. Once the solutions have been found for the homogeneous equation, any (reasonable) term on the right hand side can then be Fourier expanded in terms of the solutions to the homogeneous problem, and then finally the inhomogeneous equation can be solved.

Likes whatisreality
Geofleur said:
Separation of variables, in this context, means writing ## \phi(x,y) = X(x)Y(y) ## and getting the equation into the form (stuff depending only on ##x##) = (stuff depending only on ##y##) = constant. The only way this can happen is if the stuff depending only on ##x## and the stuff depending only on ##y## are are separately equal to zero. This technique, then, converts the partial different equation into two ordinary differential equations.

To use this approach, however, it's best to start with the homogeneous equation - the one without ## \sin(xy) ##. Once the solutions have been found for the homogeneous equation, any (reasonable) term on the right hand side can then be Fourier expanded in terms of the solutions to the homogeneous problem, and then finally the inhomogeneous equation can be solved.

OK, so it's possible. Is it possible without fourier? Which we haven't covered?

I wasn't actually told to solve it, I was just using the examples given as practice questions.

Well, I can't think of a way to solve it analytically (as opposed to using a computer) without using Fourier methods.

Likes whatisreality
Geofleur said:
Well, I can't think of a way to solve it analytically (as opposed to using a computer) without using Fourier methods.
OK, thanks! Bad one to practice on :)

One more thing - you would also need some sort of boundary conditions (values of ##\phi## or its derivatives on the boundaries of the region of interest) to actually solve the equation, even with Fourier methods.

I know. I'm not trying to solve them fully, just practicing the actual separation - to the point where I have two differential equations equalling some sort of constant of separation.

There are some solved examples here in video form:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/28928849/Webpages/DifferentialEquationsVideoLibraryTable.htm

You could start the video write down the example, try to solve and then run the video to see if you did it the right way or not.

Likes whatisreality
jedishrfu said:
There are some solved examples here in video form:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/28928849/Webpages/DifferentialEquationsVideoLibraryTable.htm

You could start the video write down the example, try to solve and then run the video to see if you did it the right way or not.
That is absolutely brilliant, thank you!

You can find here a lot of solved differential equations http://differential-equations.com/

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the concept of separation of variables in solving PDEs?

The concept of separation of variables in solving PDEs involves breaking down a multi-variable function into simpler, single-variable functions. This allows us to solve the PDE by solving a series of simpler, ordinary differential equations.

2. What are the necessary conditions for separation of variables to be applicable in PDEs?

The necessary conditions for separation of variables to be applicable in PDEs are that the PDE must be linear and homogeneous, and the boundary conditions must also be homogeneous.

3. How does separation of variables help in solving PDEs?

Separation of variables helps in solving PDEs by reducing them to a series of simpler, ordinary differential equations that can be solved using standard methods. This makes solving PDEs more manageable and allows for the use of existing mathematical techniques.

4. What are some common techniques used in separation of variables for solving PDEs?

Some common techniques used in separation of variables for solving PDEs include Fourier series, Laplace transforms, and the method of characteristics. These techniques allow for the separation of the dependent variables and the creation of a system of ordinary differential equations.

5. Can separation of variables be applied to all types of PDEs?

No, separation of variables can only be applied to certain types of PDEs, such as linear and homogeneous equations with homogeneous boundary conditions. Nonlinear or non-homogeneous PDEs may require different methods of solution.