Can an Impossible Differential Be Solved in Calculus?

In summary: The first primitive is just x and the second is just b. So, you can determine the first term by solving for x and the second term by solving for b.
cdamberg21
Hey, someone I know told me that the differential dy/dx= 24x/(2x+3) is not possible to solve... Is this true? If not what's the differential for it. This is my first year of calc in high school so my apologies if I butchered some of the terminology.

Physics news on Phys.org
hey cdamberg, ##\qquad## :welcome: ##\qquad## !

Here at PF we post this kind of stuff in a homework forum
and we post an attempt at solution (otherwise helpers are not allowed to assist!)
cdamberg21 said:
This is my first year of calc in high school
Good ! So you know how to solve differential equations already ? Which ones ?

I moved it to "Calculus" since it is more of a general question than actual homework.

... and welcome @cdamberg21 to PF. @BvU is right, we have quite a few homework forums for all kind of help in your daily questions around exercises. You're welcome to post there, if you have trouble with certain questions: the distinction is roughly: has it numbers, then it's homework, is it a general question, then it normally belongs to the technical forums.

You don't need to solve a differential equation. Just integrate the right side.

BvU said:
hey cdamberg, ##\qquad## :welcome: ##\qquad## !

Here at PF we post this kind of stuff in a homework forum
and we post an attempt at solution (otherwise helpers are not allowed to assist!)
Good ! So you know how to solve differential equations already ? Which ones ?
Just learned to solve via separation of variables, wrapping up the end of the AP Calc AB curriculum soon.

If you can write ##12\ {2x\over 2x+3} \ ## in a form like ##\ a + {b\over 2x+3}\ ## then you have two terms that you know how to integrate

fresh_42 said:
I moved it to "Calculus" since it is more of a general question than actual homework.

... and welcome @cdamberg21 to PF. @BvU is right, we have quite a few homework forums for all kind of help in your daily questions around exercises. You're welcome to post there, if you have trouble with certain questions: the distinction is roughly: has it numbers, then it's homework, is it a general question, then it normally belongs to the technical forums.
Ok thanks, it is meant to be more of a general question as to how to solve an integral in the form of kx / (ax+b)

Still belongs in homework.
Can you folow the path indicated in #6 ?

cdamberg21 said:
Hey, someone I know told me that the differential dy/dx= 24x/(2x+3) is not possible to solve... Is this true? If not what's the differential for it. This is my first year of calc in high school so my apologies if I butchered some of the terminology.

I would not expect you to solve a differential equation in your first year of Calculus. It's important however to get the terminology precise: The expression ##\frac{dy}{dx}=\frac{24x}{2x+3}## is just the expression for the derivative of y with respect to x. And that derivative it the expression on the right side. So as written, you have already solved for the derivative of y. Now, if y is not known, then you can integrate both sides if the expression to determine y. I do not recall however when integration is studied in the first year of Calculus so you may not yet have gotten to that point. And differentials are terms like dy and dx.

cdamberg21 said:
Ok thanks, it is meant to be more of a general question as to how to solve an integral in the form of kx / (ax+b)
The method is called partial fractions decomposition (which google).$${kx\over ax+b} = {k\over a}{ax\over ax+b} = {k\over a}\left ( {ax+b\over ax+b} - {b\over ax+b} \right ) = {k\over a}\left ( 1 - {b\over ax+b} \right ) $$ and you know the primitives of these two terms.

Likes fresh_42

1. Can an Impossible Differential Be Solved in Calculus?

It is not possible to solve an impossible differential in calculus because an impossible differential is a differential equation that does not have a solution. This can happen when the initial conditions or boundary conditions of the equation are inconsistent or contradictory.

2. What is an Impossible Differential?

An impossible differential is a type of differential equation that does not have a solution. It is often associated with initial conditions or boundary conditions that are inconsistent or contradictory.

3. How do you know if a Differential is Impossible?

A differential equation is considered impossible if it does not have a solution. This can be determined by solving the equation and checking if the solution satisfies the initial conditions or boundary conditions. If it does not, then the differential is impossible.

4. Can an Impossible Differential have a Unique Solution?

No, an impossible differential cannot have a unique solution because it does not have a solution at all. If a differential equation has a unique solution, it is considered a possible differential.

5. What are some Real-World Applications of Impossible Differentials?

Impossible differentials have applications in various fields such as engineering, physics, and economics. They are used to model complex systems that have inconsistent or contradictory initial conditions or boundary conditions. Examples include modeling population growth and predicting the behavior of chaotic systems.