Can ANSYS Workbench v.16 models be opened in v.15?

In summary, the conversation discusses the issue of opening a model from version 16 in version 15 of Ansys. Despite trying to save the model in different formats and renaming the file, the elements and nodes are not visible when reopening in version 15. The expert suggests contacting Ansys support as the files are not backward compatible. They also mention the option of recreating the mesh in version 15 or exporting the geometry and/or mesh using supported file formats.
M Dahabreh
Hi all,

I am trying to open my model from v.16 into v.15 with no success.

I have dragged a mesh/Finite element modeler from my original model and Write solver model in an Ansys Mechanical APDL file and got to save my model as an inp.

When reopening a FEM in ansys 15 and importing this (Inp. as ABAQUS?) I cannot see my elements nor nodes.

I have checked my inp. file and all data are in.

I tried to rename it as cdb. however this only showed the nodes with no elements or anything else.

How can I open my model from v.16 to v.15??

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Kind regards,
Mousa

Technology news on Phys.org
Ansys files are not backward compatible. You cannot save something in version 16 and expect it to be handled by a previous version. They change stuff all the time, they add new models and functionality and this has to be saved in the files. Previous versions will just not be able to read it.
When you load a v15 case in v16 and save it, you cannot go back to v15.

Sometimes, even exporting the mesh data to some format that is not from Ansys doesn't work, presumably because a new Ansys version supports some features that were not supported by the old Ansys.

Your best option is to recreate the mesh in v15, or try some of the other file formats supported by both v16 and v15 to export the geometry and/or the mesh.

What is ANSYS Workbench v.16 to v.15?

ANSYS Workbench v.16 to v.15 is a software platform developed by ANSYS Inc. for engineering simulation and analysis. It allows users to create, analyze, and optimize designs in a virtual environment, reducing the need for physical testing and streamlining the product development process.

What are the key features of ANSYS Workbench v.16 to v.15?

Some of the key features of ANSYS Workbench v.16 to v.15 include a user-friendly interface, advanced geometry and meshing tools, a wide range of analysis capabilities (such as structural, thermal, and fluid dynamics), and optimization tools to improve design performance.

What are the system requirements for ANSYS Workbench v.16 to v.15?

The system requirements for ANSYS Workbench v.16 to v.15 may vary depending on the specific modules and applications being used. However, a typical system would require at least 4GB of RAM, a multi-core processor, and a dedicated graphics card. It is recommended to check the official ANSYS website for the most up-to-date system requirements.

Can ANSYS Workbench v.16 to v.15 be used for both academic and commercial purposes?

Yes, ANSYS Workbench v.16 to v.15 can be used for both academic and commercial purposes. ANSYS offers different licensing options for different types of users, including students, researchers, and businesses. It is important to ensure that you have the appropriate license for your specific use case.

Can ANSYS Workbench v.16 to v.15 be integrated with other software?

Yes, ANSYS Workbench v.16 to v.15 can be integrated with other software, such as CAD programs and data management systems. This allows for a more streamlined and efficient workflow, as well as the ability to import and export data between different programs.