Can concentrated hot sulfuric acid directly react with alkenes?

• Thread starter jadelamlam
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Addition
In summary, alkenes can react with concentrated sulphuric acid in the cold to produce alkyl hydrogensulphates. These alkyl hydrogensulphates can then be diluted with water and heated to obtain alcohol. It is not possible to directly react alkenes with hot concentrated sulphuric acid to obtain alcohol, as the concentrated acid is used for elimination of alcohols. Diluting the acid after the generation of alcohol is necessary for the reaction to be successful.
jadelamlam
Alkenes react with concentrated sulphuric acid in the cold to produce alkyl hydrogensulphates.
If the alkyl hydrogensulphate is diluted with water and heated, alcohol is obtained

My question:
Can alkenes react with hot conc h2so4 directly?Any reaction between them?
What are the products?

Thx a lot

Chemistry news on Phys.org
I'm not quite sure but I think that no. Because to produce the alcohol you need concentrated sulfuric acid. However concentrated hot sulfuric acid is also used for elimination of alcohols. So I think that it wouldn't work because you wouldn't either make the alcohol or if you could make one in hot concentrated sulfuric acid it would instantly eliminate back to the alkene. I think that the key is that you have to dilute the acid after the generation of the alcohol.

Related to Can concentrated hot sulfuric acid directly react with alkenes?

What is the purpose of adding H2SO4 to alkenes?

The addition of H2SO4 to alkenes is a chemical reaction that is used to convert alkenes into alcohols. This process is known as hydration and it adds an -OH group to the carbon-carbon double bond of the alkene, resulting in an alcohol.

What are the conditions required for the addition of H2SO4 to alkenes?

The addition of H2SO4 to alkenes requires a strong acid catalyst, such as concentrated sulfuric acid, and a source of water. The reaction also typically takes place at high temperatures and in the presence of an inert solvent.

What is the mechanism of the addition of H2SO4 to alkenes?

The mechanism of this reaction involves the protonation of the alkene by the strong acid catalyst, followed by nucleophilic attack of water on the positively charged carbon atom. This results in the formation of a carbocation intermediate, which is then attacked by a water molecule to form the final alcohol product.

What are the possible side reactions that can occur during the addition of H2SO4 to alkenes?

There are two main side reactions that can occur during this process. The first is acid-catalyzed dehydration, which can result in the formation of an alkene instead of an alcohol. The second is the formation of carbocation rearrangement products, which can lead to the formation of a different alcohol isomer.

What are some practical applications of the addition of H2SO4 to alkenes?

The addition of H2SO4 to alkenes is commonly used in industrial processes to produce alcohols for use in various products such as plastics, solvents, and fuels. It is also used in organic synthesis to create specific alcohol compounds that are used in pharmaceuticals and other chemicals.