Can H2S Molecules Form Hydrogen Bonds?

In summary: I think the text is suggesting that cooperative phenomena involving extended hydrogen bonded and structures with several molecules of water play a part.
rashida564
can H2s form hydrogen bonds
i read that H2s can , but I'm not so sure about it .

Chemistry news on Phys.org
No such thing as H2s, I assume you mean H2S.

Why do you think it can't?

yes , sorry i meant H2S , to my mind that hydrogen bond only exist between hydrogen bond with N or O or F .

What is your rationale behind limiting hydrogen bonds to these three elements?

because our teacher used to teach us that the hydrogen bond only come with N , O , F.

Then i have read that H2S can form hydrogen bond .

Borek said:
limiting hydrogen bonds to these three elements?

rashida564 said:
our teacher used to teach us

rashida564 said:
Then i have read that H2S can form hydrogen bond .
Do you still have the same teacher, or have you progressed/advanced?

The same teacher it will never change until you graduate from the high school .

but i want to know is H2S can make hydrogen bond

Think about what the hydrogen bond really is. What bonds with what and how.

You do know that all bonds are in fact "just" electrostatic attractions between charges?

hydrogen bond is a type of intermolecular force that exist when hydrogen atom compound with
1 -a high electronegativity atom such as N,O,F .
2-it also must be a small atom .
3- when it compound with hydrogen it must have at least one free pair of electron .

Borek said:
You do know that all bonds are in fact "just" electrostatic attractions between charges?
I wouldn't sign this!

One of the problems is that a there is no sharp border between weak hydrogen bonds and van der Waals interactions.
Fact is that the SHS interaction is much smaller than e.g. the OHO interaction in water. Whether you call it a hydrogen bond or not may be a matter of convention.

epenguin said:
I think you have got answers that are good enough for your purposes.

I am not an expert on this, but I know that some people consider the inability of -S-H to participate in the hydrogen bonding is often exaggerated. Water structure is a complex subject; I think this passage is suggesting that cooperative phenomena involving extended hydrogen bonded and structures with several molecules of water play a part. https://books.google.it/books?id=p1MBoYt64n0C&pg=PA293&lpg=PA293&dq=Hydrogen+bonds+H2S&source=bl&ots=5HnpBid-ra&sig=50E9p6-Xl2ulYFvYMVYqDMg3jSQ&hl=it&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjb35Lv0YXQAhVJzRQKHVDKBcE4ChDoAQggMAA#v=onepage&q=Hydrogen bonds H2S&f=false
And that just the different bond angles in H2O and H2S cause an inability to form the larger structures in H2S.

Hydrogen bonded structures involving -S-H of cysteine residues are known in proteins. http://web.unbc.ca/~rader/_publications/1991Gregoret.pdf .

So in more advanced studies and different contexts this absolute difference between the two atoms will be relativised - but till then what you have heard so far is much what you will hear. There is some nice pictorialisation and connection with other physics and biology here: http://www.slideshare.net/chungkin81/hydrogen-bonding.

Reading the original question again, I think it is important to distinguish further to what extent H2S can act as hydrogen bond donator versus acceptor.

1. Can H2S molecules form hydrogen bonds with other molecules?

Yes, H2S molecules can form hydrogen bonds with other molecules. Hydrogen bonds occur when a hydrogen atom is bonded to a highly electronegative atom (such as oxygen or nitrogen) and is attracted to another electronegative atom in a different molecule.

2. How does the structure of H2S molecules affect their ability to form hydrogen bonds?

The structure of H2S molecules, with two hydrogen atoms bonded to a central sulfur atom, allows for a polar covalent bond to form. This creates a partial positive charge on the hydrogen atoms and a partial negative charge on the sulfur atom, making them able to form hydrogen bonds with other polar molecules.

3. Can H2S molecules form hydrogen bonds with water?

Yes, H2S molecules can form hydrogen bonds with water molecules. The polar nature of both H2S and water allows for hydrogen bonding to occur between them, resulting in the formation of a solution.

4. How does the strength of hydrogen bonds involving H2S compare to those involving water?

The strength of hydrogen bonds involving H2S is weaker than those involving water. This is because sulfur is a larger atom than oxygen, and therefore the hydrogen bond between H2S molecules is longer and weaker than the hydrogen bond between water molecules.

5. Can H2S molecules form hydrogen bonds with non-polar molecules?

No, H2S molecules cannot form hydrogen bonds with non-polar molecules. Hydrogen bonds can only occur between molecules with polar covalent bonds, which have a separation of charges and a dipole moment. Non-polar molecules do not have these characteristics and therefore cannot form hydrogen bonds with H2S molecules.