Can I integrate to find resistance of an object of increasing radius?

In summary, Homework Equations states that:-R=pl/A-RA is simple enough to determine, but I'm stuck with RB-I have 2 potential theories as how to tackle this. One is that the thin end and the thick ends will cancel, due to symmetry, leaving me with a ratio of 1. The other involves R=pl/A becoming R=p∫0L1/A dx and somehow changing this to involve r0/2 and 2r0.
LiamG_G

Homework Statement

I have to find the ratio of RB/RA where R is electrical resistance.
Both objects A and B have circular cross section and length L, and are made of the same material.
A has radius r0. B has radius r0/2 at the bottom and increases linearly to 2r0.

Homework Equations

R=pl/A

The Attempt at a Solution

RA is simple enough to determine, but I'm stuck with RB
I have 2 potential theories as how to tackle this.
One is that the thin end and the thick ends will cancel, due to symmetry, leaving me with a ratio of 1.
The other involves R=pl/A becoming R=p∫0L1/A dx and somehow changing this to involve r0/2 and 2r0

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi LiamG_G! :smile:

B is a lot of discs in series. :wink:

LiamG_G said:

Homework Statement

I have to find the ratio of RB/RA where R is electrical resistance.
Both objects A and B have circular cross section and length L, and are made of the same material.
A has radius r0. B has radius r0/2 at the bottom and increases linearly to 2r0.

Homework Equations

R=pl/A

The Attempt at a Solution

RA is simple enough to determine, but I'm stuck with RB

The other involves R=pl/A becoming R=p∫0L1/A dx and somehow changing this to involve r0/2 and 2r0

Pick that one!
Your integral is OK, so what is A(x)?

So A=∏r2 and r ranges from r0/2 to 2r0

But with my integral, which I thought would be R=ρ∫0L (1/A)dx relates to the length of the cylinder, not it's radius.

I think I need to find an equation for r at a specific point in the bar in terms of x (which ranges from 0 to L)
Would this be somewhere along the right track?:
radius of disk, rdisk=(3r0/2)(x/L) + r0/2
This way, at x=0 (the bottom of the bar) the radius is equal to r0/2 and at x=L (the top of the bar) the radius is equal to 2r0
So then I would also have to differentiate that I can replace dx with dr, but then I'm sure I would still have x in the integral, which leaves me with two variables.

Am I at least on the right track? Where would I go next?

suppose you had n discs in series, of areas A1 … An (and all of the same thickness, ∆x)

what would the formula be for the total resistance R?​

(and I'm going out now o:))

LiamG_G said:

But with my integral, which I thought would be R=ρ∫0L (1/A)dx relates to the length of the cylinder, not it's radius.

I think I need to find an equation for r at a specific point in the bar in terms of x (which ranges from 0 to L)
This way, at x=0 (the bottom of the bar) the radius is equal to r0/2 and at x=L (the top of the bar) the radius is equal to 2r0
So then I would also have to differentiate that I can replace dx with dr, but then I'm sure I would still have x in the integral, which leaves me with two variables.

Very nice reasoning. This is exactly what you should do.

LiamG_G said:

You are very much on the right track.

So now you have r(x), what is A(x)? A(x) contains r0 only, which is a constant. So you integrate with respect to x only. You never integrate w/r/t r.

rude man said:
You are very much on the right track.

So now you have r(x), what is A(x)? A(x) contains r0 only, which is a constant. So you integrate with respect to x only. You never integrate w/r/t r.
Actually, you could do it either way. For example, dx=((2L)/(3r0))dr

1. How can I integrate to find the resistance of an object of increasing radius?

Integrating can be used to find the resistance of an object of increasing radius by using the formula R = ρL/A, where ρ is the resistivity of the material, L is the length of the object, and A is the cross-sectional area. By integrating the cross-sectional area as the radius of the object increases, the total resistance can be calculated.

2. What is the importance of finding the resistance of an object of increasing radius?

Finding the resistance of an object of increasing radius is important in many practical applications, such as designing electrical circuits or understanding the behavior of materials under varying conditions. It can also help in determining the efficiency and performance of a system.

3. What factors can affect the resistance of an object of increasing radius?

The resistance of an object of increasing radius can be affected by several factors, including the material's resistivity, the length of the object, and the shape and size of the cross-sectional area. Other factors such as temperature, impurities, and external forces can also impact the resistance.

4. Can I use integration to find the resistance of a non-uniform object?

Yes, integration can be used to find the resistance of a non-uniform object by breaking it down into smaller, uniform sections and integrating each section separately. The total resistance of the object can then be calculated by summing the individual resistances of each section.

5. Are there any limitations to using integration to find resistance?

While integration is a powerful tool for finding resistance, it does have its limitations. It assumes that the material being analyzed has a constant resistivity throughout and that the cross-sectional area is uniform. In real-world situations, these assumptions may not hold, and other methods may need to be used to accurately calculate resistance.