Can I take College Algebra and Trig at the same time?

In summary, a military veteran is considering taking both a college algebra course and a trig course in order to improve his math skills for calculus.
Alex Salazar
Hello everyone,

After about 6 years I'm finally getting out of the military in May and start going to school full time starting in the fall. I want to do engineering, but I know I'm behind in math and am worried about starting calculus. I want to improve my math by taking both College Algebra and trig during the summer at a community college. The classes are both 11 weeks long.

Brief history on my math:

Growing up, I did fairly well in math. I can grasp the concepts quick. I got As in freshman algebra and sophomore geometry back in high school, but I screwed up right after that. By screwing up, I mean I sat next to my friends when in Algebra 3-4 honors my junior year and I was destroyed. I wouldn't pay attention because I was distracted by friends. I believe I somehow got a C my first half of the school year, but a D the last half. I stopped taking math after that because I knew I was going to the military first and didn't care (immature and stupid, I know).

About a year ago, I took college Algebra online while stationed overseas. I ended up being very busy during the term, but managed to get a B. I honestly could have gotten an A. That was a year ago and I know I need to take it again.

My question now is, do you all think it is okay to take both college Algebra and trig at the same time to help prepare myself for calculus? I know for a fact I need to take trig because of how long its been, but I also feel that I really need to take Algebra again. I've forgot many of the equations and never fully understood them all. I want to be more confident in math skills when starting calculus.

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the real goal here? Fulfilling pre-requisites for college coursework, or actually learning the material?

If the goal is actually learning the material, it is hard for us to assess your current level of preparation or whether you can handle the pace of two courses at the same time.

A smart on-line learning program like ALEKS will adjust itself your your abilities and let you work at a comfortable pace whatever your level of preparation. I'd start by signing up for Algebra 2 or College Algebra and seeing how you do in the first few weeks. If that is comfortable, then sign up for Precalculus and work on both simultaneously. If not, stick with Algebra before moving to Precalc.

Likes symbolipoint and CalcNerd
I'm inclined to agree with @Dr. Courtney. The topics in the algebra course and the trig course are more-or-less sequential, so that some things that are presented in the trig course assume that you are able to use techniques presented in the algebra course. Since it has been more than six years since you were in high school, some of what you learned there might be forgotten.

A lot of my advice depends on your level of knowledge right now. If you think there's a chance you could do both classes at the same time, sign up for both. If you find in the first couple of weeks that you can't follow the trig, drop that class. I wouldn't wait a couple of weeks to sign up for the trig class, as Dr. C advises.

1. Can I take College Algebra and Trig at the same time?

Yes, it is possible to take College Algebra and Trigonometry at the same time. However, it is important to consider your individual strengths and abilities before enrolling in both courses simultaneously.

2. Will taking both courses at the same time be too challenging?

It depends on your level of preparation and dedication. College Algebra and Trigonometry are both rigorous courses, and taking them together may require a significant amount of time and effort. It is important to consult with your academic advisor and assess your workload before making a decision.

3. Are there any benefits to taking College Algebra and Trig at the same time?

Yes, taking both courses at the same time can help you to build a strong foundation in mathematics and prepare you for more advanced courses in the future. It can also save you time and money by completing two courses in one semester.

4. Do I need to have prior knowledge in math to take both courses at the same time?

Yes, it is recommended that you have a strong understanding of basic algebra concepts before enrolling in College Algebra and Trigonometry. It is important to have a solid understanding of algebraic equations and functions in order to succeed in these courses.

5. How should I prepare for taking College Algebra and Trig at the same time?

To prepare for taking both courses simultaneously, it is important to review and strengthen your algebra skills. You can also talk to your instructor or academic advisor for advice on study strategies and resources that can help you succeed in both courses. Additionally, make sure to manage your time effectively and stay organized to stay on top of the coursework.