Can I use a dot product of accel. and vel. to find displace.

In summary, the question asks for the initial speed of a projectile ejected at 35 degrees to the horizontal from a point A to a point B which is 9.4km away horizontally and 3.3km below it, with g=10m/s. The dot product is not used in this solution. The resultant displacement between the x and y is 9.96km. Using the equation v⋅a=vacos55, where v is the initial velocity and a is the acceleration, the resulting displacement is equal to v10cos55. Solving for v, the initial speed is 1736.5 m/s.
Jamiemma1995

Homework Statement

at what initial speed would a projectile have to start at when ejected at 35 degrees to the horizontal from a point A to a point B which is 9.4km distance away in the horizontal and 3.3km below it. taking g as 10m/s[/B]

Homework Equations

I'm not really sure if these equations are relevant because if I can't use the dot product they are not

A⋅B=ABcosθ

The Attempt at a Solution

so first of all the resultant displacement between the x and y is 9.96 km so the I said that v⋅a=vacos55 (as the angle between the acceleration which is straight down and v is 55) and because I'm assuming that the dot product between v and a is displacement I said 9960=v10cos55 and got v=1736.5 m/s[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
I just realized of course displacement is also a vector, which was pretty silly of me still any help with the actual question would be much appreciated

Related to Can I use a dot product of accel. and vel. to find displace.

1. How does the dot product of acceleration and velocity help in finding displacement?

The dot product of acceleration and velocity is a mathematical operation that results in a scalar value. This value represents the component of velocity that is in the same direction as the acceleration. By multiplying this value with the magnitude of velocity, we can find the displacement in the direction of acceleration. This is because the dot product takes into account both the magnitude and direction of the two vectors.

2. Can the dot product of acceleration and velocity be used to find displacement in any direction?

Yes, the dot product can be used to find displacement in any direction as long as the acceleration and velocity vectors are in the same plane. This is because the dot product only takes into account the component of velocity in the direction of acceleration. Therefore, it can be used to find displacement in any direction within that plane.

3. Is there a specific formula for calculating displacement using the dot product of acceleration and velocity?

Yes, the formula for calculating displacement using the dot product is: d = a * (v * t), where d is displacement, a is acceleration, v is velocity, and t is time. This formula takes into account the magnitude of velocity and the time interval to calculate displacement in the direction of acceleration.

4. What are the units of displacement when using the dot product of acceleration and velocity?

The units of displacement will depend on the units used for acceleration, velocity, and time. However, since the dot product results in a scalar value, the units of displacement will be the same as the units of velocity multiplied by the units of time. For example, if acceleration is measured in meters per second squared, velocity in meters per second, and time in seconds, then the units of displacement will be meters.

5. Can the dot product of acceleration and velocity be used to find displacement in non-uniformly accelerating or curved motion?

No, the dot product of acceleration and velocity can only be used to find displacement in uniformly accelerating or straight-line motion. This is because the dot product assumes that acceleration and velocity are constant and in the same direction. In non-uniformly accelerating or curved motion, the acceleration and velocity are constantly changing in magnitude and direction, making the dot product method inaccurate.