Can I use plastic tape to fix the rips on batteries

In summary: One must wonder what the OP's battery has been through to get scored like that.We're guessing about what kind of rip he meant.
kenny1999
I bought a new battery of D size today but I noticed that there is some rips (not much),
I am not experienced and I certainly won't rewrap the whole battery. I'd like to know if
it's okay to use fix it by taping the part with a small plastic tape??

Engineering news on Phys.org
If you're talking about a rip in the metal casing, I'd suggest that you toss the battery.

kenny1999 said:
I bought a new battery of D size today but I noticed that there is some rips (not much),
I am not experienced and I certainly won't rewrap the whole battery. I'd like to know if
it's okay to use fix it by taping the part with a small plastic tape??
Photo of the battery (and rips) would be of help

Likes davenn and phinds
No. Safety first please. Please don't tape batteries unless mil-spec-level necessity forces you so to do.

• Skeptical
Likes davenn
sysprog said:
No. Safety first please. Please don't tape batteries unless mil-spec-level necessity forces you so to do.
What's that mean .. mil-spec-level necessity?

i take the question about rips in the battery as being the protective plastic covering of the case, which may or may not be the situation. If it's new, why the rips are there in the first place, one has to wonder.

Regular plastic tape might not be a good option for anything electrical.
There is such a thing as electrical tape used to cover connections.

mil-spec means military specification -- please don't use a battery that you know is bad -- please get another . . .

Likes 256bits
An ordinary flashlight "D" cell you say? If the metal case is intact and nothing leaking from it, sure, put some tape on it if needed, or if you just feel more comfortable that way. For almost all uses small tears or scratches are not a problem and can be ignored.

If it gets installed in a metal battery holder with tight clamps holding it in, be aware that most tape will not stand that. For that usage there could be a short circuit created, in which case the battery will get rather hot. Not good.

If it is leaking be aware that the stuff coming out is corrosive and damages nearby metal parts... like battery holders, circuit boards, metal flashlights, etc.

If it is leaking and you REALLY need to use it, patch the leak first and replace at the first opportunity. Patching may be done using tape (very temporary and not reliable) or using an adhesive. Good luck getting an adhesive to stick to the surface though!

Exception: If it is a Lithium battery, get rid of it. Those things are Dangerous when damaged! Don't just toss it in the garbage bag under the kitchen sink, they are a fire hazard. Dispose outdoors in a metal container.

Cheers,
Tom

Likes 256bits
sysprog said:
mil-spec means military specification
we all know that ...
It's just you whole comment in that other post that didn't make sense

Likes hutchphd, 256bits and Tom.G
davenn said:
we all know that ...
It's just you whole comment in that other post that didn't make sense
I meant that I think that one should not use a damaged battery unless one is confronted by a severe need to do so.

sysprog said:
I meant that I think that one should not use a damaged battery unless one is confronted by a severe need to do so.
I think a more fitting expression instead of the 'mil-spec-level necessity' there would be the 'zombie apocalypse' o0)
That would perfectly describe the circumstances when it is acceptable to use damaged batteries.

Likes davenn and sysprog
Some batteries have a heat shrinkable wrapper on them. Is this what is meant?

Likes davenn
I've been in the room when perfectly ordinary dry cell batteries exploded, sending shrapnel all over the room. I was ten feet away and one piece made an audible whiz as it went past my ear and hit the wall. These were AA size batteries in a small book light.

I'd hate to think what a D cell battery could do.

One must wonder what the OP's battery has been through to get scored like that.

Maybe its harmless. Maybe it's a ticking time bomb, waiting for the wrong time and place.

• Wow
Likes sysprog
The OP hasn't been back to PF to read any of the replies.

We're guessing about what kind of rip he meant.

I'm interested in the AA battery explosion that @DaveC426913 described. What could make that happen? What chemical reaction would happen so fast? Were the batteries being cooked? In what way were they mistreated?

Likes Keith_McClary
phinds said:
If you're talking about a rip in the metal casing, I'd suggest that you toss recycle the battery.
:wink:

Likes sysprog
anorlunda said:
I'm interested in the AA battery explosion that @DaveC426913 described. What could make that happen? What chemical reaction would happen so fast? Were the batteries being cooked? In what way were they mistreated?
It was a mystery. Just a little booklight. The guy who owned it was the kind of guy who gets his oil changed on schedule and changes his smoke detector batteries twice a year.
Had been running for at least a half hour. And then just spontaneously blew in the dining room, with 3 or 4 people standing around.

Only thing unusual maybe was that it was part of his gaming gear that traveled in a briefcase with him.

I never heard of Alakaline AA batteries exploding. But I just found this on the Duracell site. They manufacture AA alakine batteries.

CAUTION: Batteries may explode or leak, and cause burn injury, if recharged, disposed of in fire, mixed with a different battery type, inserted backwards or disassembled. Replace all used batteries at the same time. Do not carry batteries loose in your pocket or purse. Do not remove the battery label. Keep small batteries (i.e., AAA) away from children. If swallowed, consult a physician at once.

Perhaps the batteries in the book light were mismatched.

Likes sysprog
berkeman said:
:wink:
What, you don't like poisoning the environment?

• Haha
Likes davenn
phinds said:
What, you don't like poisoning the environment?
I'll introduce you to my wife sometime. You wouldn't believe how environmentally conscious she is. Well, that's probably a good thing I guess...

Last edited:
Likes sysprog
fire It's a D battery -- I would (no taping it for a last chance) toss it in the trash and grab another, but I don't use that category of 'disposable' battery to begin with . . .

sysprog said:

Rive said:
I think a more fitting expression instead of the 'mil-spec-level necessity' there would be the 'zombie apocalypse' o0)
That would perfectly describe the circumstances when it is acceptable to use damaged batteries.
Unless your name is McGyver.
Ask yourself the question,
"What would McGyver do? when confronted with a damaged battery.
And then don't do it.

• Haha
Likes davenn, berkeman, phinds and 3 others
The OP has plenty of answers to his question.

Thread closed.

1. Can plastic tape fix rips on batteries?

Yes, plastic tape can be used to temporarily fix rips on batteries, but it is not a permanent solution.

2. Is it safe to use plastic tape on batteries?

Using plastic tape on batteries is generally safe, but it is important to make sure the tape does not cover any important battery components or terminals.

3. Will plastic tape affect the performance of the battery?

Using plastic tape on batteries may affect the performance of the battery, as it can create a barrier between the battery and the device it powers. It is best to use the tape as a temporary fix until a more permanent solution can be found.

4. How long will the plastic tape hold on a battery?

The length of time that plastic tape will hold on a battery will depend on the type and strength of the tape, as well as the extent of the rip. It is best to monitor the tape and replace it if it starts to peel off or lose its adhesion.

5. Can I use any type of plastic tape on batteries?

It is recommended to use electrical tape specifically designed for use on batteries, as it is more durable and resistant to heat and chemicals. Regular plastic tape may not provide the same level of protection and may not hold as well.