Can L be conserved if its magnitude is conserved?

In summary, the conversation discusses a system described by Newton's second law and how to show that the time derivative of angular momentum is equal to the negative of the cross product of the distance vector and angular momentum. It also discusses using this equation to prove that angular momentum is not generally conserved, but its magnitude is conserved. The conversation ends with a hint to use the product rule and the fact that the time derivative of angular momentum must be perpendicular to the angular momentum itself.
subzero0137
Problem: Consider a system for which Newton's second law is $$ \frac {d \vec v}{dt} = - [ \frac {h(r)h'(r)}{r} + \frac {k}{r^3} ] \vec r- \frac {h'(r)}{r} \vec L $$ where k is a constant, h(r) is some function of r, h'(r) is its derivative and L = r x v is the angular momentum. Show that $$ \frac {d \vec L}{dt} = - \frac {h'(r)}{r} \vec r × \vec L$$ and use this equation to prove that L is not generally conserved, but its magnitude L is conserved.

Attempt: I've done the first part of the question, but I don't know how I should go about showing that L is not conserved but its magnitude is conserved. Any hints would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
subzero0137 said:
Problem: Consider a system for which Newton's second law is $$ \frac {d \vec v}{dt} = - [ \frac {h(r)h'(r)}{r} + \frac {k}{r^3} ] \vec r- \frac {h'(r)}{r} \vec L $$ where k is a constant, h(r) is some function of r, h'(r) is its derivative and L = r x v is the angular momentum. Show that $$ \frac {d \vec L}{dt} = - \frac {h'(r)}{r} \vec r × \vec L$$ and use this equation to prove that L is not generally conserved, but its magnitude L is conserved.

Attempt: I've done the first part of the question, but I don't know how I should go about showing that L is not conserved but its magnitude is conserved. Any hints would be appreciated.

The magnitude squared is given by the dot product of L with itself. Can you show the time derivative of that is 0?

So |L|^2 = (r×v)⋅(r×v) = (rr)(vv) - (vr)(vr) = |r|^2 |v|^2 right? But how would I show the time derivative of this to be 0? [itex] \frac {dL}{dt} = r \frac {dv}{dt} + v \frac {dr}{dt} [/itex], but how do I make this equal 0?

subzero0137 said:
So |L|^2 = (r×v)⋅(r×v) = (rr)(vv) - (vr)(vr) = |r|^2 |v|^2 right? But how would I show the time derivative of this to be 0? [itex] \frac {dL}{dt} = r \frac {dv}{dt} + v \frac {dr}{dt} [/itex], but how do I make this equal 0?

You want to show the time derivative of ##L \cdot L## is zero. Use the product rule and your given expression for dL/dt. Can you tell me why dL/dt must be perpendicular to L?

Last edited:

Related to Can L be conserved if its magnitude is conserved?

What is vector calculus?

Vector calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with operations on vectors in three-dimensional space. It involves the study of vector fields, line and surface integrals, and the gradient, divergence, and curl operators.

What are the applications of vector calculus?

Vector calculus has many real-world applications, including in physics, engineering, and computer graphics. It is used to model motion, electromagnetism, fluid dynamics, and many other phenomena.

What are the basic operations in vector calculus?

The basic operations in vector calculus are addition, subtraction, scalar multiplication, and the dot and cross products. These operations allow for the manipulation and analysis of vectors in three-dimensional space.

What is the difference between vector calculus and regular calculus?

Regular calculus deals with functions of one or more variables, while vector calculus deals with vectors in three-dimensional space. Vector calculus also includes operations that are not found in regular calculus, such as the cross product and the gradient, divergence, and curl operators.

How can I learn vector calculus?

There are many resources available for learning vector calculus, including textbooks, online courses, and video tutorials. It is important to have a strong foundation in algebra, trigonometry, and basic calculus before tackling vector calculus.